This paper examines the feasibility of LTE-based passive radar for detecting ground moving targets. Specifically, the focus of this paper is to describe the proposed LTE-based passive radar system and to conduct an experiment using a real LTE eNB transmitter as an illumination source. Seven scenarios were carried out to investigate the detection performance of the proposed system on ground moving targets with different speeds, trajectories and range. In addition, multi-target detection was also tested. The experimental results showed that the LTE-based passive radar system has the capability to detect typical ground targets/objects like cars, motorbikes and humans moving at different trajectories. The positive results opened up a new frontier for passive radar systems to be used in many potential applications, including security, border protection, microwave fences, monitor of buildings and others.
2. Howland, P. E., D. Maksimiuk, and G. Reitsma, "FM radio based bistatic radar," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, 107-111, 2005.
3. Poullin, D., "Passive detection using digital broadcasters (DAB, DVB) with COFDM modulation," IEE Proceedings in Radar, Sonar and Navigation, 2005.
4. Griffiths, H., et al., "Bistatic radar using satellite-borne illuminators of opportunity," IET International Conference in Radar, Vol. 92, 1992.
5. Guo, H., K. Woodbridge, and C. Baker, "Evaluation of WiFi beacon transmissions for wireless based passive radar," IEEE Radar Conference (RADAR), 2008.
6. Falcone, P., et al., "Localization and tracking of moving targets with WiFi-based passive radar," IEEE Radar Conference (RADAR), 2012.
7. Tan, D. K. P., H. Sun, Y. Lu, M. Lesturgie, and H. L. Chan, "Passive radar using global system for mobile communication signal: Theory, implementation and measurements," IEE Proceedings in Radar, Sonar and Navigation, 2005.
8. Sun, H., D. K. P. Tan, and Y. Lu, "Aircraft target measurements using a GSM-based passive radar," IEEE Radar Conference (RADAR), 2008.
9. Wang, Q., C. Hou, and Y. Lu, "An experimental study of WiMAX-based passive radar," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 12, 3502-3510, 2010.
10. Sinha, N. B., et al., "Target localization accuracy using WiMAX radar networks," Journal of Theoretical & Applied Information Technology, Vol. 27, No. 2, 2011.
11. Chadchan, S. and C. Akki, "3GPP LTE/SAE: An overview," International Journal of Computer and Electrical Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 5, 806-814, 2010.
12. Salah, A. A., R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, A. Ismail, F. Hashim, C. Y. Leow, M. B. Roslee, and N. E. A. Rashid, "Feasibility study of LTE signal as a new illuminators of opportunity for passive radar applications," 2013 IEEE International RF and Microwave Conference (RFM), 2013.
13. Salah, A. A., R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, A. Ismail, and F. Hashim, "Experimental study of LTE signals as illuminators of opportunity for passive bistatic radar applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 7, 545-547, 2014.
14. Mohammadpoor, M., R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, A. Ismail, and A. F. Abas, "A circular synthetic aperture radar for on-the-ground object detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 269-292, 2012.
15. Cherniakov, M., R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, P. Jancovic, M. Salous, and V. Chapursky, "Automatic ground target classification using forward scattering radar," IEE Proceedings in Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 153, 427-437, 2006.
16. Kvaksrud, T.-I., "Range measurements in an open field environment," Texas Instrum, Incorporated, Dallas, TX, Design Note DN018, 2008.
17. Shi, Z.-G., S. Qiao, K. S. Chen, W.-Z. Cui, W. Ma, T. Jiang, and L.-X. Ran, "Ambiguity functions of direct chaotic radar employing microwave chaotic colpitts oscillator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 1-14, 2007.
18. Dzvonkovskaya, T. Helzel, L. Petersen, C. R. Merz, Y. Liu, and R. H. Weisberg, "Initial results of ship detection and tracking using WERA HF ocean radar with MIMO configuration," 15th International Radar Symposium (IRS), 2014.