In the present paper we focus on the study of polarization properties of biaxial metamaterial, which consist of alternate ferrite and semiconductor layers, located on an ideally conducted metal substrate. The system is placed into an external magnetic field along the boundaries of the layers. The effective medium theory is applied. Effective linear-to-elliptic polarization conversion has been shown, by means of physical and geometrical parameters of the system under consideration.
2. Tuz, V., M. Vidil, and S. Prosvirnin, "Polarization transformations by a magneto-photonic layered structure in the vicinity of a ferromagnetic resonance," J. Opt., Vol. 12, 095102, 2010.
3. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1965.
4. Hallam, B. T., C. R. Lawrence, I. R. Hooper, and J. R. Sambles, "Broad-band polarization conversion from a finite periodic structure in the microwave regime," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 84, No. 6, 849-851, 2004.
5. Tuz, V. and V. Kazanskiy, "Periodicity defect influence on the electromagnetic properties of a sequence with bi-isotropic layers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 299-307, 2008.
6. Bass, F. G. and A. A. Bulgakov, Kinetic and Electrodynamic Phenomena in Classical and Quantum Semiconductor Superlattices, Nova Science, NY, 1997.
7. Bulgakov, A. A., A. A. Girich, M. K. Khodzitsky, O. V. Shramkova, and S. I. Tarapov, "Transmission of electromagnetic waves in a magnetic fine-stratified structure," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 26, No. 12, B156-B160, December 2009.
8. Polevoy, S., S. Prosvirnin, S. Tarapov, and V. Tuz, "Resonant features of planar Faraday metamaterial with high structural symmetry. Study of properties of a 4-fold array of planar chiral rosettes placed on a ferrite substrate," Eur. Phys. J. Apll. Phys., Vol. 61, No. 3, 30501 (7 pages), 2013.
9. Passilly, N., P. Karvinen, K. Ventola, P. Laakkonen, J. Turunen, and J. Tervo, "Polarization conversion by dielectric subwavelength gratings in conical mounting," Journal of the European Optical Society --- Rapid Publications, Vol. 3, 08009, (7 pages), 2008.
10. Cong, L., W. Cao, Zh. Tian, J. Gu, J. Han, and W. Zhang, "Manipulating polarization states of terahertz radiation using metamaterials," New Journal of Physics, Vol. 14, 115013, (11 pages), 2012.
11. Poddubny, A., I. Iorshm, P. Belov, and Y. Kivshar, "Hyperbolic metamaterials," Nature Photonics, Vol. 7, 948-957, 2013.
12. Fang, W. and S. Xu, "Realization of complete polarization conversion using periodic structure composed of left-handed materials," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 11, 2862-2864, 2007.
13. Zhang, Y., Y. Jiang, W. Xue, and S. He, "A broad-angle polarization splitters based on a simple dielectric periodic structure," Opt. Express, Vol. 15, No. 22, 14363-8, 2007.
14. Bai, B., K. Ventola, J. Tervo, and Y. Zhang, "Determination of the eigenpolarizations in arbitrary di®raction orders of planar periodic structures under arbitrary incidence," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 85, 053808, (8 pages), 2012.
15. Ye, Y., X. Li, F. Zhuang, and S.-W. Chang, "Homogeneous circular polarizers using a bilayered chiral metamaterial," Phys. Lett., Vol. 99, 031111, (3 pages), 2011.
16. Semchenko, I. V., S. A. Khakhomov, and A. L. Samofalov, "Polarization plane rotation of electromagnetic waves by the arti¯cial periodic structure with one-turn helical elements," Electromagnetics, Vol. 26, 219-233, 2006.
17. Chen, H. T., J. F. O'Hara, A. J. Taylor, R. D. Averitt, C. Highstrete, M. Lee, and W. J. Padilla, "Complementary planar terahertz metamaterials," Opt. Express, Vol. 15, 1084-1095, 2007.
18. Tuz, V. R., O. D. Batrakov, and Y. Zheng, "Gyrotropic-nihility in ferrite-semiconductor composite faraday geometry," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 41, 397-417, 2012.
19. Baibak, V. V., I. V. Fedorin, and A. A. Bulgakov, "Polarization conversion by a 1-d photonic crystal located on isotropic and anisotropic substrates," Telecommunications and Radio Engineering, Vol. 73, No. 6, 555-567, 2014.
20. Bulgakov, A. A. and I. V. Fedorin, "Ellipsoidal properties of the reflection factors from a thin-layer periodic semiconductor-dielectric structure in a magnetic field," Telecommunications and Radio Engineering, Vol. 71, No. 13, 1213-1227, 2012.
21. Jung, H., C. In, H. Choi, and H. Lee, "Anisotropy modeling of terahertz metamaterials: polarization dependent resonance manipulation by meta-atom cluster," Scientific Reports, Vol. 4, 5217, (7 pages), 2014.
22. Mousavi, S. A., E. Plum, J. Shi, and N. I. Zheludev, "Coherent control of optical polarization effects in metamaterials," Sci Rep., Vol. 10, No. 5, 8977, 2015.
23. Bulgakov, A. A. and I. V. Fedorin, "Electrodynamic properties of a thin-film periodic structure in an external magnetic field," Technical Physics, Vol. 56, No. 4, 510-514, 2011.
24. Baibak, V. V., I. V. Fedorin, and A. A. Bulgakov, "Surface electromagnetic waves in finite semiconductor-dielectric periodic structure in an external magnetic field," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 32, 229-244, 2013.
25. Shramkova, O. V., "Transmission spectra in ferrite-semiconductor periodic structure," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 7, 71-85, 2009.
26. Landau, L. D. and E. M. Lifshits, Electrodynamics of Continuous Media, 2nd Ed., Pergamon Press, Oxford, England, 1984.