The development of modern communication devices for the latest technologies such as 5G has brought the millimeter wave technology into the spotlight because it offers higher data rates and bandwidth. Since highly directional transmissions are necessary for communication in these frequencies due to high path loss and atmospheric absorption, the use of adaptive antennas is inevitable. Rotman lenses have long been used as analog beam forming networks to support linear array antennas for electronic scanning. Their broad bandwidth and planar structure make them ideal for a variety of applications. However, their overall dimensions can be prohibitive especially for large scan angles. In this paper, we propose a few compact configurations that reduce the overall dimensions of Rotman lens as much as 50% without degrading its performance.
2. Smith, M. S., "Design considerations for Ruze and Rotman lenses," Radio and Electronic Engineer, Vol. 52, No. 4, 181-187, 1982.
3. Smith, M. S. and A. K. S. Fong, "Amplitude performance of Ruze and Rotman lenses," Radio and Electronic Engineer, Vol. 53, No. 9, 329-336, 1983.
4. Hansen, R. C., "Design trades for Rotman lenses," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 4, 464-472, 1991.
5. Katagi, T., S. Mano, S. Sato, S. Tahara, and E. Tomimatsu, "An improved design method of Rotman lens antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 20, 136-139, 1982.
6. Weiss, S. and O. Kilic, "Rotman lens design for aperiodic arrays," Pro. IEEE AP-S/URSI Intl. Conference, Toronto, Canada, July 2010.
7. Weiss, S., A. Zaghloul, and O. Kilic, "Measurement and simulation of Rotman lens designs that mitigate internal diffraction effects," Proc. IEEE AP-S/URSI Intl Conference, Toronto, Canada, July 2010.
8. Nguyen, T., T. K. Vo Dai, and O. Kilic, "Rotman lens-fed aperture coupled array antenna at millimeter wave," IEEE APS/URSI 2016, Fajardo, Puerto Rico, USA, July 2016.
9. Rappaport, C. and A. Zaghloul, "Optimized three-dimensional lenses for wide-angle scanning," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 33, No. 11, 1227-1236, 1985.
10. Dong, J., A. I. Zaghloul, and R. Rotman, "Phase-error performance of multi-focal and non-focal two-dimensional Rotman lens designs," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 12, 2097-2103, 2010.
11. Vo Dai, T. K. and O. Kilic, "A non-focal rotman lens design to support cylindrically conformal array antenna," The Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Express Journal, Vol. 7, July 2016.
12. Kilic, O. and R. Dahlstrom, "Rotman lens beam formers for Army multifunction RF antenna applications," 2005 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 2005.
13. Kilic, O. and S. Weiss, "Rotman lens designs for military applications," Radio Science Bulletin, No. 333, 10-24, 2010.
14. Zaghloul, A., O. Kilic, S. Weiss, and E. Adler, "Realization of Rotman’s concepts of beamformer lenses and artificial dielectric materials," IEEE International Conference on Microwaves, Communications, Antennas and Electronics Systems, COMCAS 2009, 2009.
15. Weiss, S., S. Keller, and C. Ly, "Development of simple affordable beamformers for army platforms," Proceedings of GOMACTech --- 07 Conference, Lake Buena Vista, FL, 2006.
16. Schulwitz, L. and A. Mortazawi, "A new low loss Rotman lens design using a graded dielectric substrate," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 12, 2734-2741, 2008.
17. Hirokawa, J. and M. Ando, "Single-layer feed waveguide consisting of posts for plane TEM wave excitation in parallel plates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 5, 625-630, 1998.
18. Cheng, Y. J., W. Hong, K. Wu, Z. Q. Kuai, C. Yu, J. X. Chen, J. Y. Zhou, and H. J. Tang, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) Rotman lens and its Ka-band multibeam array antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 8, 2504-2513, 2008.
19. Peterson, A. F. and E. O. Rausch, "Scattering matrix integral equation analysis for the design of a waveguide Rotman lens," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 5, 870-878, 1999.
20. Gandini, E., M. Ettorre, M. Casaletti, K. Tekkouk, L. Le Coq, and R. Sauleau, "SIW slotted waveguide array with pillbox transition for mechanical beam scanning," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1572-1575, 2012.
21. Casaletti, M., R. Sauleau, M. Ettorre, and S. Maci, "Efficient analysis of metallic and dielectric posts in parallel-plate waveguide structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 10, 2979-2989, 2012.
22. Casaletti, M., G. Valerio, J. Seljan, M. Ettorre, and R. Sauleau, "A full-wave hybrid method for the analysis of multilayered SIW-based antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 11, 5575-5588, 2013.
23. Ettorre, M., R. Sauleau, and L. Le Coq, "Multi-Beam multi-layer leaky-wave SIW pillbox antenna for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1093-1100, 2011.
24. Tekkouk, K., et al., "Multibeam SIW slotted waveguide antenna system fed by a compact dual-layer rotman lens," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 2, 504-514, 2016.
25. Tudosie, G. and R. Vahldieck, "An LTCC-based folded Rotman lens for phased array applications," 2006 Asia-Pacic Microwave Conference, 2006.
26. Vo Dai, T. K. and O. Kilic, "Designing folded rotman lens," IEEE Internaltional Symposium on Antennas and Propagation/USNC-URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2016.
27. Josefsson, L. and P. Persson, Conformal Array Antenna Theory and Design, Vol. 29, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
28. Jha, R. M., S. A. Bokhari, V. Sudhakar, and P. R. Mahapatra, "Closed form expressions for integral ray geometric parameters for wave propagation on general quadric cylinders," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1989, AP-S. Digest, 203-206, 1989.
29. Rice, S. O., "Reflections from circular bends in rectangular wave guides — Matrix theory," Bell System Technical Journal, Vol. 27, No. 2, 305-349, 1948.
30. Barlow, H. E. M., "Propagation around bends in waveguides," Proceedings of the IEE-Part C: Monographs, Vol. 106, No. 9, 11-15, 1959.
31. nScrypt, Inc., http://nscrypt.com/, October 2016.