The analysis of the electromagnetic scattering from perfectly electrically conducting (PEC) objects with edges and corners performed by means of surface integral equation formulations has drawbacks due to the interior resonances and divergence of the fields on geometrical singularities. The aim of this paper is to show a fast converging method for the analysis of the scattering from PEC polygonal cross-section closed cylinders immune from the interior resonance problems. The problem, formulated as combined field integral equation (CFIE) in the spectral domain, is discretized by means of Galerkin method with expansion functions reconstructing the behaviour of the fields on the wedges with a closed-form spectral domain counterpart. Hence, the elements of the coefficients' matrix are reduced to single improper integrals of oscillating functions efficiently evaluated by means of an analytical asymptotic acceleration technique.
2. Correia, L. M., "A comparison of integral equations with unique solution in the resonant region for scattering by conducting bodies," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 41, No. 1, 52-58, Jan. 1993.
3. Schenck, H. A., "Improved integral formulation for acoustic radiation problems," J. Acoust. Soc. Amer., Vol. 44, 41-48, Jul. 1968.
4. Waterman, P. C., "Numerical solution of electromagnetic scattering problems," Computer Techniques for Electromagnetics, 1987.
5. Mittra, R. and C. A. Klein, "Stability and convergence of moment method solution," Numerical and Asymptotic Techniques in Electromagnetics, R. Mittra, Ed., Springer-Verlag, New York, 1975.
6. Mautz, J. R. and R. F. Harrington, "A combined-source formulation for radiation and scattering from a perfectly conducting body," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 27, 445-454, Jul. 1979.
7. Tobin, R., A. D. Yaghjian, and M. M. Bell, "Surface integral equations for multi-wavelength arbitrary shaped, perfectly conducting bodies," Proc. Dig. 19th URSI Radio Sci. Meet., 7, Boulder, CO, Jan. 1987.
8. Mautz, J. R. and R. F. Harrington, "H-field, E-field, and combined field solutions for conducting bodies of revolution," AEU, Vol. 32, No. 4, 159-164, Apr. 1978.
9. Colton, D. and R. Kress, Integral Equation Methods in Scattering Theory, Wiley, New York, 1993.
10. Bolomey, J. C. and W. Tabbara, "Numerical aspects on coupling between complementary boundary value problems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 21, 356-363, May 1973.
11. Contopanagos, H., B. Dembart, M. Epton, J. J. Ottusch, V. Rokhlin, J. L. Visher, and S. M. Wandzura, "Well-conditioned boundary integral equations for three-dimensional electromagnetic scattering," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 12, 1824-1830, Dec. 2002.
12. Liu, Z., R. J. Adams, and L. Carin, "Well-conditioned MLFMA formulation for closed PEC targets in the vicinity of a half space," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2822-2829, Oct. 2003.
13. Adams, R. J., "Combined field integral equation formulations for electromagnetic scattering from convex geometries," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1294-1303, May 2004.
14. Borel, S., D. P. Levadoux, and F. Alouges, "A new well-conditioned integral formulation for Maxwell equations in three dimensions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2995-3004, Sep. 2005.
15. Smith, M. H. and A. F. Peterson, "Numerical solution of the CFIE using vector bases and dual interlocking meshes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 10, 3334-3339, Oct. 2005.
16. Andriulli, F. and E. Michielssen, "A regularized combined field integral equation for scattering from 2-D perfect electrically conducting objects," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 9, 2522-2529, Sep. 2007.
17. Yla-Oijala, P., M. Taskinen, and J. Seppo, "Analysis of surface integral equations in electromagnetic scattering and radiation problems," Eng. Anal. Boundary Elements, Vol. 32, 196-209, 2008.
18. Chew, W. C., M. S. Tong, and B. Hu, Integral Equation Methods for Electromagnetic and Elastic Waves, Morgan & Claypool, San Rafael, CA, USA, 2009.
19. Nosich, I., "Method of analytical regularization in computational photonics," Radio Science, Vol. 51, No. 8, 1421-1430, Aug. 2016.
20. Rius, J. M., E. Ubeda, and J. Parron, "On the testing of the magnetic field integral equation with RWG basis functions in method of moments," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 11, 1550-1553, Nov. 2001.
21. Ergul, O. and L. Gurel, "Linear-linear basis functions for MLFMA solutions of magnetic field and combined field integral equations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 4, 1103-1110, Apr. 2007.
22. Gibson, W. C., The Method of Moments in Electromagnetics, Chapman & Hall, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, London, New York, 2008.
23. Yan, S., J.-M. Jin, and Z. Nie, "Improving the accuracy of the second-kind Fredholm integral equations by using the Buffa-Christiansen functions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1299-1310, Apr. 2011.
24. Ubeda, E., J. M. Tamayo, J. M. Rius, and A. Heldring, "Stable discretization of the electricmagnetic field integral equation with the Taylor-orthogonal basis functions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1484-1490, Mar. 2013.
25. Zalevsky, G. S., O. I. Sukharevsky, V. A. Vasilets, and S. V. Nechitaylo, "Secondary radiation of resonance perfectly conducting objects," Journal of Communications Technology and Electronics, Vol. 59, No. 12, 1321-1332, 2014.
26. Sukharevsky, O. I., G. S. Zalevsky, and V. A. Vasilets, "Modeling of ultrawideband (UWB) impulse scattering by aerial and subsurface resonant objects based on integral equation solving," Advanced Ultrawideband Radar: Signals, Targets, and Applications, J. D. Taylor, Ed., CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, London, New York, 2016.
27. Kolmogorov, S. Fomin, Elements of the Theory of Functions and Functional Analysis, Dover, New York, 1999.
28. Eswaran, K., "On the solutions of a class of dual integral equations occurring in diffraction problems," Proc. Roy. Soc. London, Ser. A, Vol. 429, 399-427, 1990.
29. Veliev, E. I. and V. V. Veremey, "Numerical-analytical approach for the solution to the wave scattering by polygonal cylinders and flat strip structures," Analytical and Numerical Methods in Electromagnetic Wave Theory, M. Hashimoto, M. Idemen, and O. A. Tretyakov (eds.), Science House, Tokyo, 1993.
30. Davis, M. J. and R. W. Scharstein, "Electromagnetic plane wave excitation of an open-ended finitelength conducting cylinder," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 7, 301-319, 1993.
31. Hongo, K. and H. Serizawa, "Diffraction of electromagnetic plane wave by rectangular plate and rectangular hole in the conducting plate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 6, 1029-1041, Jun. 1999.
32. Bliznyuk, N. Y., A. I. Nosich, and A. N. Khizhnyak, "Accurate computation of a circular-disk printed antenna axisymmetrically excited by an electric dipole," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 25, No. 3, 211-216, 2000.
33. Tsalamengas, J. L., "Rapidly converging direct singular integral-equation techniques in the analysis of open microstrip lines on layered substrates," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 3, 555-559, Mar. 2001.
34. Losada, V., R. R. Boix, and F. Medina, "Fast and accurate algorithm for the short-pulse electromagnetic scattering from conducting circular plates buried inside a lossy dispersive halfspace," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 41, 988-997, May 2003.
35. Lucido, M., G. Panariello, and F. Schettino, "Accurate and efficient analysis of stripline structures," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 43, No. 1, 14-21, Oct. 2004.
36. Lucido, M., G. Panariello, and F. Schettino, "Analysis of the electromagnetic scattering by perfectly conducting convex polygonal cylinders," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, 1223-1231, Apr. 2006.
37. Hongo, K. and Q. A. Naqvi, "Diffraction of electromagnetic wave by disk and circular hole in a perfectly conducting plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 113-150, 2007.
38. Lucido, M., G. Panariello, and F. Schettino, "Electromagnetic scattering by multiple perfectly conducting arbitrary polygonal cylinders," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, 425-436, Feb. 2008.
39. Lucido, M., G. Panariello, and F. Schettino, "TE scattering by arbitrarily connected conducting strips," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 2212-2216, Jul. 2009.
40. Coluccini, G., M. Lucido, and G. Panariello, "TM scattering by perfectly conducting polygonal cross-section cylinders: A new surface current density expansion retaining up to the second-order edge behavior," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 1, 407-412, Jan. 2012.
41. Lucido, M., "An analytical technique to fast evaluate mutual coupling integrals in spectral domain analysis of multilayered coplanar coupled striplines," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1035-1039, Apr. 2012.
42. Lucido, M., "A new high-efficient spectral-domain analysis of single and multiple coupled microstrip lines in planarly layered media," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 7, 2025-2034, Jul. 2012.
43. Coluccini, G., M. Lucido, and G. Panariello, "Spectral domain analysis of open single and coupled microstrip lines with polygonal cross-section in bound and leaky regimes," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 61, No. 2, 736-745, Feb. 2013.
44. Lucido, M., "An efficient evaluation of the self-contribution integrals in the spectral-domain analysis of multilayered striplines," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 360-363, 2013.
45. Coluccini, G. and M. Lucido, "A new high efficient analysis of the scattering by a perfectly conducting rectangular plate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 5, 2615-2622, May 2013.
46. Lucido, M., "Complex resonances of a rectangular patch in a multilayered medium: A new accurate and efficient analytical technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 123-132, 2014.
47. Lucido, M., "Electromagnetic scattering by a perfectly conducting rectangular plate buried in a lossy half-space," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 52, No. 10, 6368-6378, Oct. 2014.
48. Lucido, M., G. Panariello, and F. Schettino, "An EFIE formulation for the analysis of leakywave antennas based on polygonal cross-section open waveguides," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 983-986, May 2014.
49. Lucido, M., "Scattering by a tilted strip buried in a lossy half-space at oblique incidence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 37, 51-62, 2014.
50. Corsetti, F., M. Lucido, and G. Panariello, "Effective analysis of the propagation in coupled rectangular-core waveguides," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 26, No. 18, 1855-1858, Sep. 2014.
51. Lucido, M., G. Panariello, D. Pinchera, and F. Schettino, "Cut-off wavenumbers of polygonal cross section waveguides," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 24, No. 10, 656-658, Oct. 2014.
52. Di Murro, F., M. Lucido, G. Panariello, and F. Schettino, "Guaranteed-convergence method of analysis of the scattering by an arbitrarily oriented zero-thickness PEC disk buried in a lossy half-space," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 8, 3610-3620, Aug. 2015.
53. Lucido, M., M. D. Migliore, and D. Pinchera, "A new analytically regularizing method for the analysis of the scattering by a hollow finite-length PEC circular cylinder," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 70, 55-71, 2016.
54. Lucido, M., G. Panariello, and F. Schettino, "Scattering by a zero-thickness PEC disk: A new analytically regularizing procedure based on Helmholtz decomposition and Galerkin method," Radio Science, Vol. 52, No. 1, 2-14, Jan. 2017.
55. Meixner, J., "The behavior of electromagnetic fields at edges," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 20, 442-446, 1972.
56. Jones, D. S., The Theory of Electromagnetism, Pergamon Press, New York, 1964.
57. Abramowitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, "Handbook of Mathematical Functions," Verlag Harri Deutsch, 1984.
58. Overfelt, P. L. and D. J. White, "TE and TM modes of some triangular cross-section waveguides using superposition of plane waves," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 34, 161-167, 1986.