One of the faults in medium voltage (MV) overhead power line is a high impedance fault (HIF) owing to low-current discharge to a tree (THIF). This type of fault generates signals in wide frequency bandwidth which may lead to electromagnetic interference (EMI) with neighboring devices and consequently results in degradation in the performance of nearby systems. This problem becomes more critical when MV power lines path is located in a wooded area in which there will be frequent transient conflicts between trees and power lines especially in the windy conditions. Given the importance of this issue, the ability of THIF to generate EMI is first demonstrated in this paper. Thereafter, a hybrid technique based on combination of quantile regression (QR) and empirical mode decomposition (EMD) is proposed to perform a feature extraction from THIF signals. By comparing the QR results of different samples of THIF signal with other similar signals, the validation of proposed method is depicted. In summary, the original contributions of current research include 1) assessing EMI due to THIFs, 2) using EMD in pre-processing of THIFs signals and extracting their main components, 3) recommending QR for the feature definition of THIF.
2. Sun, H., X. Cui, and L. Du, "Electromagnetic interference prediction of ±800 kV UHVDC converter station," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 52, No. 3, Mar. 2016.
3. Yang, Z., H. Li, F. Lin, B. Zhang, and J. Lv, "Common-mode electromagnetic interference calculation method for a PV inverter with chaotic SPWM," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 51, No. 11, Nov. 2015.
4. Chen, H., H. H.-C. Iu, and Y. Zhao, "Economic integration based solution for EMI noise in switched reluctance motor drive," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 48, No. 2, 859-862, Feb. 2012.
5. Ranjith Kumar, V. S. N., S. Kumar, G. Pal, and T. Shah, "High-ampacity overhead power lines with carbon nanostructure — Epoxy composites," J. Eng. Mater. Technol., Vol. 138, No. 4, Jun. 2016.
6. Pous, M. and F. Silva, "Full-spectrum APD measurement of transient interferences in time domain," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1352-1360, Dec. 2014.
7. Pous, M. and F. Silva, "Prediction of the impact of transient disturbances in real-time digital wireless communication systems," IEEE Electromagn. Compat. Mag., Vol. 3, No. 3, 76-83, Jul./Sep. 2014.
8. Azpurua, M. A., M. Pous, and F. Silva, "On the statistical properties of the peak detection for time-domain EMI measurements," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 57, No. 6, 1374-1381, Dec. 2015.
9. Xiao, C. and T. Zhao, "Identification method of EMI sources based on measured single-channel signal and its application in aviation secondary power source design," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. PP, No. 99, 1-8, Oct. 2016.
10. Ghaderi, A., H. Mohammadpour, H. Ginn, III, and Y. Shin, "High impedance fault detection in distribution network using time-frequency based algorithm," IEEE Trans. Power Deliv., Vol. 99, PP, 2014.
11. Macedo, J. R., J. W. Resende, C. A. Bissochi, D. Carvalho, and F. C. Castro, "Proposition of aninterharmonic-based methodology for high-impedance fault detection in distribution systems," IET Gener. Transm. Distrib., Vol. 9, No. 16, 2593-2601, 2015.
12. Iurinic, L. U., A. R. Herrera-orozco, R. G. Ferraz, and A. S. Bretas, "Distribution systems highimpedance fault location: A parameter estimation approach," IEEE Trans. Power Deliv., Vol. 31, 1806-1814, 2016.
13. Elkalashy, N. I., M. Lehtonen, H. A. Darwish, M. A. Izzularab, and A. M. I. Taalab, "Modeling and experimental verification of high impedance arcing fault in medium voltage networks," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 14, 375-383, 2007.
14. Maximov, V. T. H. F. R. S. and J. L. Guardado, "High impedance fault location formulation: A least square estimator based approach," Math. Problems Eng., 1-10, 2014.
15. Costa dos Santos, W., B. Alencar de Souza, N. Silva Dantas Brito, F. Bezerra Costa, M. Renato Cerqueira Paes, and Jr., "High impedance faults: From field tests to modeling," Journal of Control, Automation and Electrical Systems, Vol. 24, No. 6, 885-896, Sep. 2013.
16. Mahari, A. and H. Seyedi, "High impedance fault protection in transmission lines using a WPT-based algorithm," Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst., Vol. 67, 537-545, 2015.
17. Biradar, P. and V. R. Sheelvant, "High-impedance fault detection using wavelet transform," Int. J. Eng. Res. Gen. Sci., 166-173, 2015.
18. Azpurua, M. A., M. Pous, and F. Silva, "Decomposition of electromagnetic interferences in the time-domain," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 58, No. 2, 385-392, Apr. 2016.
19. Chan, J. C., H. Ma, and T. K. Saha, "Self-adaptive partial discharge signal de-noising based on ensemble empirical mode decomposition and automatic morphological thresholding," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 21, 294-303, 2014.
20. Zhang, H., T. R. Blackburn, and B. T. Phung, "A novel wavelet transform technique for on-line partial discharge measurements. 1. WT de-noising algorithm," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 14, 2007.
21. Hacke, U. G. and J. S. Sperry, "Functional and ecological xylem anatomy," Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 4: Science Direct, 97-115, 2001.
22. Evert, R. F., Esau's Plant Anatomy: Meristems, Cells, and Tissues of the Plant Body: Their Structure, Function, and Development, 3rd Ed., Published Online: 6, Feb. 2006.
23. Bittner, S., M. Janott, D. Ritter, P. Kocher, F. Beese, and E. Priesack, "Functional-structural water flow model reveals differences between diffuse- and ring-porous tree species," Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, Vol. 158–159, 80-89, 2012.
24. ETSI EN 302 608 V1.1.1, , European Telecommunications Standards Institute, 2007.
25. Ghaderi, A., H. A. Mohammadpour, H. L. Ginn, and Y. Shin, "High-impedance fault detection in the distribution network using the time-frequency-based algorithm," IEEE Trans. Power Deliv., Vol. 30, No. 3, 1260-1268, 2015.