This paper proposes the concept of sparse appended with the space tapering technique for the synthesis of an antenna radiation pattern. The procedure experiments on a Circular Antenna Array (CAA) configuration comprising of directional element (1+cos(φ)). The sparse initiates the minimum number of active elements in the CAA, while the space tapering technique gives the complex excitations that yield a beam pattern with constraints such as Side Lobe Level (SLL) and Beam Width (BW) in relation to Dolph-Chebyshev radiation pattern. The phase mode analysis, which is an built-in procedure in the proposed technique explores the circular antenna array configuration characteristics. The simulation results justify the effectiveness of the proposed technique for obtaining the desired radiation pattern synthesis.
2. Toso, G., C. Mangenot, and A. G. Roederer, "Sparse and thinned arrays for multiple beam satellite applications," The Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2007, EuCAP 2007, 4-11, IET, 2007.
3. Jacomb-Hood, A. and E. Lier, "Multibeam active phased arrays for communications satellites," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 1, No. 4, 40-47, IEEE, 2000.
4. Bucci, O. M., T. Isernia, S. Perna, and P. Daniele, "Isophoric sparse arrays ensuring global coverage in satellite communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 4, 1607-1618, 2014.
5. Caille, G., Y. Cailloce, C. Guiraud, D. Auroux, T. Touya, and M. Masmousdi, "Large multibeam array antennas with reduced number of active chains," European Conference on Antennas & Propagation, 1-9, 2007.
6. Wright, J., Y. Ma, J. Mairal, G. Sapiro, T. S. Huang, and S. Yan, "Sparse representation for computer vision and pattern recognition," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 98, No. 6, 1031-1044, IEEE, 2010.
7. Bruckstein, A. M., D. L. Donoho, and M. Elad, "From sparse solutions of systems of equations to sparse modeling of signals and images," PSIAM Review, Vol. 51, No. 1, 34-81, SIAM, 2009.
8. Lager, I. E., C. I. Coman, and L. P. Ligthart, "The shared aperture, sparse array antenna approach to designing broadband array antennas," The Fifth International Kharkov Symposium on Physics and Engineering of Microwaves, Millimeter, and Submillimeter Waves, 2004, MSMW 04, Vol. 1, 91-96, IEEE, 2004.
9. Milligan, T. A., "Space-tapered circular (ring) array," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 46, No. 3, 70-73, IEEE, 2004.
10. Bucci, O. M. and S. Perna, "A deterministic two dimensional density taper approach for fast design of uniform amplitude pencil beams arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 8, 2852-2861, 2011.
11. Bucci, O. M., S. Perna, and D. Pinchera, "Advances in the deterministic synthesis of uniform amplitude pencil beam concentric ring arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 7, 3504-3509, IEEE, 2012.
12. Bucci, O. M., T. Isernia, A. F. Morabito, S. Perna, and D. Pinchera, "Isophoric sparse arrays: A synthesis procedure for circularly symmetric shaped beams," 2012 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 832-836, IEEE, 2012.
13. Garza, L. A., L. F. Yepes, D. H. Covarrubias, M. A. Alonso, and M. A. Panduro, "Synthesis of sparse circular antenna arrays applying a tapering technique over reconstructed continuous current distribution," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 3, 347-352, 2016.
14. Josefssona, L. and P. Perssonb, Conformal Array Antennas, Springer, 2015.
15. Longstaff, I. D., P. E. K. Chow, and D. E. N. Davies, "Directional properties of circular arrays," Proceedings of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 114, No. 6, 713-718, 1967.
16. Rahim, T. and D. E. N. Davies, "Effect of directional elements on the directional response of circular antenna arrays," IEE Proceedings H — Microwaves, Optics and Antennas, Vol. 129, No. 1, 18-22, 1982.
17. Bucci, O. M., M. D’Urso, T. Isernia, P. Angeletti, and G. Toso, "Deterministic synthesis of uniform amplitude sparse arrays via new density taper techniques," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1949-1958, 2010.
18. Fang, D.-G., Antenna Theory and Microstrip Antennas, CRC Press, 2009.
19. Aumann, H. M., "Phase mode analysis of directional elements in a circular array," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2008, AP-S 2008, 1-4, 2008.
20. Suarez, C., M. Ferrando-Bataller, and A. Valero-Nogueira, "Pattern synthesis of uniform circular arrays with directive elements," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2004, Vol. 3, 2812-2815, 2004.
21. Davies, D. E. N., "A transformation between the phasing techniques required for linear and circular aerial arrays," Proceedings of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 112, No. 11, 2041-2045, 1965.
22. Singh, H., K. Lekshmi, D. Poovannan, and R. M. Jha, "Pattern synthesis studies for planar and non-planar conformal arrays,", National Aerospace Laboratories, 2007.
23. Al-Husseini, M., E. Yaacoub, K. Y. Kabalan, and A. El-Hajj, "Pattern synthesis with uniform circular arrays for the reduction of WCDMA intercell interference," Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences, Vol. 16, No. 3, 207-215, 2008.
24. Jones, M. R. and H. D. Griffiths, "Broadband pattern synthesis from a circular array," Sixth International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1989, ICAP 89, Conf. Publ. No. 301-59, 1989.
25. Xu, Z., H. Li, Q.-Z. Liu, and J.-Y. Li, "Pattern synthesis of conformal antenna array by the hybrid genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 75-90, 2008.
26. Wang, T.-E., R. Brinkman, and K. R. Baker, "Dolph-Chebyshev pattern synthesis for uniform circular arrays," Wireless at VT, 1-9, 2011.
27. De Abreu, G. T. F. and R. Kohno, "A modified Dolph-Chebyshev approach for the synthesis of low sidelobe beampatterns with adjustable beamwidth," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 3014-3017, 2003.