Linear antenna array design is a multi-parameter, multi-objective, and nonlinear problem which requires optimal design parameters to get desired performance. To achieve desired performance through multi-objective optimization process, a compromise among desired objectives is essential. In such a situation to make a rational decision on global optimization to avoid arbitrary compromise to any objective, we introduced two fuzzy logic biased/fuzzy biased optimization techniques. We proposed fuzzy logic biased biogeography based optimization algorithm and fuzzy biased gravitational search optimization algorithm to solve M-element nonlinear linear antenna array design problem. In our design problem, we have considered a 16-element dipole-linear antenna array. The optimal design problem incudes thirty one design parameters (sixteen lengths, and fifteen spacings) and four performance parameters such as directivity, front to maximum side-lobe level, half power beamwidth, and front to back ratio. The result shows that applications of fuzzy biased optimizations are more efficient for solving multi objective problem. While analysing the linear antenna array, mutual coupling is taken into account for numerical analysis using method of moment.
2. Mahanti, G. K., N. Pathak, and P. Mahanti, "Synthesis of thinned linear antenna arrays with fixed side lobe level using real coded genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 75, 319-328, 2007.
3. Datta, T. and I. S. Misra, "A comparative study of optimization technique in adaptive antenna processing: The bacteria foraging algorithm and particle swarm optimization," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Mag., Vol. 51, No. 6, 69-81, 2009.
4. Chatterjee, A. and G. K. Mahanti, "Comparative study of gravitational search algorithm and modified particle swarm optimization for synthesis of thinned scanned concentric ring array antenna," Progress in Electro Magnetic Research B, Vol. 25, 331-348, 2010.
5. Sotirios, K. G., M. Vasiliki, and T. Samaras, "Application of a comprehensive learning particle swarm optimization to unequally spaced linear array synthesis with side lobe level suppression and null control," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Lett., Vol. 9, 125-129, 2010.
6. Mangaraj, B. B., I. S. Misra, and A. Barisal, "Optimizing included angle of symmetrical v-dipoles for higher directivity using bacteria foraging optimization algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 295-314, 2008.
7. Mangaraj, B. B., S. K. Mohanty, and M. R. Jena, "Bacteria foraging algorithm in antenna design," Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Comp., Article ID 5983469, 11 pages, 2016.
8. Casula, G. A., G. Mazzarella, and N. Sirena, "Evolutionary design of wide-band parasitic dipole arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 11, 4094-4102, 2011.
9. Mandal, A., H. Zafar, S. Das, and A. V. Vasilakos, "A modified differential evolution algorithm for shaped beam linear antenna array design," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 125, 439-457, 2012.
10. Liu, Y., Z. Nie, and Q. H. Liu, "Reducing the number of elements in a linear antenna array by the matrix pencil method," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 9, 2955-2962, 2008.
11. Simon, D., "Biogeography based optimization," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Comp., Vol. 12, No. 6, 702-713, 2008.
12. Simon, D., "A probabilistic analysis of a simplified biogeography based optimization algorithm," Evolutionary Comp., Vol. 19, No. 2, 167-188, 2011.
13. Mangaraj, B. B. and P. Swain, "An optimal LAA subsystem designed using gravitational search algorithm," An International Journal Engineering Science and Technology, Vol. 20, No. 2, 494-501, 2017.
14. Swain, P., S. K. Mohanty, and B. B. Mangaraj, "Linear dipole antenna array design and optimization using gravitational search algorithm," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Advances in Electrical, Electronics, Information, Communication and Bio-Informatics, 514-518, Tamilnadu, India, 2016.
15. Mazzarella, G. and G. Panariello, "Array thinning in conformal arrays synthesis," IEEE AP-S International Symposiumon Antennas and Propagation Society, 506-509, Seattle, WA, USA, 1994.
16. Orchard, H. J. and R. S. Elliott, "Optimizing the synthesis of shaped beam antenna patterns," Proc. Inst. Elelc. Eng., Vol. 132, 63-68, 1985.
17. Elmikati, H. and A. A. Elsohly, "Extension of projection method to nonuniformly linear antenna arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 32, 507-512, 1984.
18. Verma, M. and S. K. Shukla, "Application of fuzzy optimization to orienting problem," Advances in Fuzzy Systems, Article ID 569248, 12 pages, 2015.
19. Zadeh, L. A., "Fuzzy sets," Information and Control, Vol. 8, No. 3, 338-353, 1965.
20. Rashedi, E., H. Nezamabadi-pour, and S. Saryazdi, "GSA: A gravitational search algorithm," Information Sciences, Vol. 179, 2232-2248, 2009.
21. Wang, H. J., et al., "Optimization of Yagi array by hierarchical genetic algorithms," Radio and Wireless Conference, 91-94, Boston, Massachusetts, 2003.
22. Viezbicke, P. P., "Yagi antenna design," NBS Technical Note, Vol. 688, 1-22, 1976.
23. Baskar, S., et al., "Design of Yagi-Uda antennas using comprehensive learning particle swarm optimization," IEE Proc. --- Microw. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 152, 340-346, 2005.
24. Venkatarayalu, N. V. and T. Ray, "Optimum design of Yagi-Uda antennas using computational intelligence," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 1811-1818, 2004.
25. Jones, E. A. and W. T. Joines, "Design of Yagi-Uda antennas using genetic algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, 1386-1392, 1997.
26. Mangaraj, B. B., I. S. Misra, and S. K. Sanyal, "Application of bacteria foraging algorithm for the design optimization of multi-objective Yagi-Uda array," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 1, 25-35, 2011.
27. Altshuler, E. E. and D. S. Linden, "Wire-antenna designs using GA," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Mag., Vol. 39, 33-43, 1997.
28. Shreni, V. and P. Raikwar, "Optimization of reduction in side lobe level using genetic algorithm," International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engg., Vol. 2, 202-205, 2012.
29. Pantoja, M. F., et al., "PSO in antenna design: Optimization of log-periodic dipole arrays," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Mag., Vol. 49, 34-47, 2007.
30. Roy, S., et al., "A multi-objective evolutionary approach for linear antenna array design and synthesis," IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, 1-8, Brisbane, QLD, 2012.
31. Pal, S., et al., "Optimal synthesis of linear antenna arrays with multi-objective differential evolution," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 21, 87-11, 2010.
32. Mahanti, G. K., N. Pathak, and P. Mahanti, "Synthesis of thinned linear antenna arrays with fixed sidelobe level using real-coded genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 319-328, 2007.