In this paper, we deal with a frequency modulated continuous wave (FMCW) radar used for localizing and tracking targets by frequency evaluation of the received radar beat signal. The radar system achieved with a primary radar (reader) and a secondary radar (transponder) is addressed as super high frequency (SHF) radio frequency identification (RFID). Consequently, considering the transponder as an active target, we achieve an identification application thanks to the shift frequency induced by the transponder. Moreover, the impact of the non-linearity behavior of this transponder on the localization performance is investigated, and a solution is proposed for cancelling non-linear effects.
2. Ting, J. W., D. Oloumi, and K. Rambabu, "FMCW SAR system for near-distance imaging applications-practical considerations and calibrations," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 66, No. 1, 450-461, 2018.
3. McGregor, J. A., E. M. Poulter, and M. J. Smith, "Switching system for single antenna operation of an S-band FMCW radar," Proceedings — Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 141, No. 4, 241-248, 1994.
4. Butler, W., P. Poitevin, and J. Bjomholt, "Benefits of wide area intrusion detection systems using FMCW radar," 41st Annual IEEE International Carnahan Conference on Security Technology, 176-182, 2007.
5. Galin, N., A. Worby, T. Markus, C. Leuschen, and P. Gogineni, "Validation of airborne FMCW radar measurements of snow thickness over sea ice in antarctica," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 50, No. 1, 3-12, 2012.
6. Iglesias, R., A. Aguasca, X. Fabregas, J. J. Mallorqui, D. Monells, C. Lopez-Martinez, and L. Pipia Galin, "Ground-based polarimetric SAR interferometry for the monitoring of terrain displacement phenomena," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol. 8, No. 3, 994-1007, 2015.
7. Boukari, B., E. Moldovan, S. Affes, K. Wu, R. G. Bosisio, and S. O. Tatu, "Six-port FMCW collision avoidance radar sensor configurations," Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, 305-308, 2008.
8. Al-Alem, Y., L. Albasha, and H. Mir, "High-resolution on-chip S-band radar system using stretch processing," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 16, No. 12, 4749-4759, 2016.
9. Wang, Y. and Y. Zheng, "An FMCW radar transceiver chip for object positioning and human limb motion detection," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 17, No. 2, 236-237, 2017.
10. Ghattas, L., S. Meric, and C. Brousseau, "Performance assessment of FMCW radar processing for transponder identification," European Radar Conference (EuRAD), 258-261, 2016.
11. Hazry, D., M. R. Sofian Muhammad, and S. Zairi, "Study of integration 2.4 GHz and 5.8GHz in RFID tag," International Conference on Man-Machine Systems (ICoMMS), 2009.
12. Omar, H. G., A. Khoshnaw, and W. Monnet, "Smart patient management, monitoring and tracking system using radio-frequency identification (RFID) technology," IEEE EMBS Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Sciences (IECBES), 40-45, 2016.
13. Ulku, A., "The next generation in personnel/people tracking: Active RFID technology has allowed for enhanced security and safety," IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, Vol. 6, No. 4, 122-124, 2017.
14. Namjun, C., S. Seong-Jun, K. Sunyoung, K. Shiho, and Y. Hoi-Jun, "A 5.1-μW UHF RFID tag chip integrated with sensors for wireless environmental monitoring," 31st European Solid-State Circuits Conference (ESSCIRC), 279-282, 2005.
15. Heidrich, J., D. Brenk, J. Essel, G. Fischer, G. Weigel, and S. Schwarzer, "Local positioning with passive UHF RFID transponders," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop on Wireless Sensing, Local Positioning, and RFID, 2009.
16. Skolnik, M., Radar Handbook, McGraw-Hill, New-York, 2008.
17. Skolnik, M., Introduction to Radar Systems, McGraw-Hill, New-York, 1980.
18. Le Chevalier, F., Principles of Radar and Sonar Signal Processing, Artech House, Norwood (MA), 2002.
19. Piper, S. O., "Receiver frequency resolution for range resolution in homodyne FMCW radar," Conference on National Telesystems Conference, 169-173, 1993.
20. Harris, F. J., "On the use of windows for harmonic analysis with the discrete Fourier transform," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 66, No. 1, 51-83, 1978.
21. Rabiner, L., "The chirp Z-transform algorithm — A lesson in serendipity," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 21, No. 2, 118-119, 2004.
22. Rabiner, L., R. Schafer, and C. Rader, "The chirp Z-transform algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Audio and Electroacoustics, Vol. 17, No. 2, 86-92, 1969.