In this paper, a quad-band wearable slot antenna with low specific absorption rate (SAR) is presented. By cutting an inverted V-shaped slot with its arms further extended towards the center of the circular patch, multiple resonant modes of the antenna can be excited to operate on 1.8 GHz DCS, 2.4 GHz WLAN and 3.6/5.5 GHz WiMAX bands. The measured peak gains and impedance bandwidths are about 4.91/7.84/2.58/4.12 dBi and 320/60/80/180 MHz for the 1.8/2.4/3.6/5.5 GHz bands respectively. The SAR of the proposed antenna has been measured using a three layer human tissue model. The estimated SAR values at all the resonant frequencies are well below the threshold limit of 2 W/Kg, which ensures its viability for wearable applications. In order to approximate different parts of the human body, the SAR values have been estimated for three surface sizes, 120 × 120 mm2, 220 × 220 mm2 and 320 × 320 mm2, of the human tissue model, and results are compared. Frequency detuning of the proposed antenna due to bending along x, y and x-y planes has also been carried out and discussed. Further, on arm effect on the antenna performance is investigated, and results are presented. The simulated and measured results are in good agreement, which validates the use of proposed wearable antenna in DCS/WLAN/WiMAX bands.
2. Lee, K. F., S. L. S. Yang, and A. A. Kishk, "Dual- and multiband U-slot patch antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 645-647, 2008.
3. Lu, J. H. and B. J. Huang, "Planar compact slot antenna with multi-band operation for IEEE 802.16m application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1411-1414, Mar. 2013.
4. Saghati, A. P., M. Azarmanesh, and R. Zaker, "A novel switchable single- and multifrequency triple-slot antenna for 2.4-GHz bluetooth, 3.5-GHz WiMax, and 5.8-GHz WLAN," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 534-537, 2010.
5. Dang, L., Z. Y. Lei, Y. J. Xie, G. L. Ning, and J. Fan, "A compact microstrip slot triple-band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1178-1181, 2010.
6. Hu, W., Y. Z. Yin, P. Fei, and X. Yang, "Compact triband square-slot antenna with symmetrical L-strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 462-465, 2011.
7. Cao, Y. F., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "A multi-band slot antenna for GPS/WiMAX/WLAN systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 3, 952-958, Mar. 2015.
8. Hong, Y., J. Tak, J. Baek, B. Myeong, and J. Choi, "Design of a multiband antenna for LTE/GSM/UMTS band operation," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, Article ID 548160, 9 pages, 2014.
9. Wei, Y. F. and C. Roblin, "Multislot antenna with a screening backplane for UWB WBAN applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, Article ID 731912, 12 pages, 2012.
10. Gao, G. P., B. Hu, S. F. Wang, and C. Yang, "Wearable circular ring slot antenna with EBG structure for wireless body area network," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 434-437, 2018.
11. Kusuma, A. H., A. F. Sheta, I. Elshafiey, Z. Siddiqui, M. A. Alkanhal, S. Aldosari, and S. A. Alshebeili, "A new low SAR antenna structure for wireless handset applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 112, 23-40, 2011.
12. Faruque, M. R. I., M. I. Hossain, and M. T. Islam, "Low specific absorption rate microstrip patch antenna for cellular phone applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 14, 1540-1546, 2015.
13. Gemio, J., J. Parron, and J. Soler, "Human body effects on implantable antennas for ISM bands applications: Models comparison and propagation losses study," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 110, 437-452, 2010.
14. Klemm, M. and G. Troester, "EM energy absorption in the human body tissues due to UWB antennas," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 62, 261-280, 2006.
15. Kivekas, O., T. Lehtiniemi, and P. Vainikainen, "On the general energy absorption mechanism inthe human tissue," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 43, No. 3, 195-201, Nov. 2004.
16. Yan, S. and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Radiation pattern reconfigurable wearable antenna based on metamaterial structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1715-1718, 2016.
17. Joshi, J. G., S. S. Pattnaik, and S. Devi, "Metamaterial embedded wearable rectangular microstrip patch antenna," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, Article ID 974315, 9 pages, 2012.
18. Hu, B., G. P. Gao, L. L. He, X. D. Cong, and J. N. Zhao, "Bending and on-arm effects on a wearable antenna for 2.45GHz body area network," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 378-381, 2016.
19. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
20. FCC: Body tissue dielectric parameters, http://www.fcc.gov/oet/rfsafety/dielectric.html,.