An array of rectangular holes pierced through a conducting screen is treated herein by a rigorous full-wave modal analysis using the moment method entailing Green's functions for rectangular cavities and planar multilayer structures in the spectral domain. Unexpectedly strong diffusions of incident plane waves are observed even at frequencies where the size of each hole is considerably less than the wavelength, posing a transmission efficiency that exceeds unity and thus leading to extraordinary transmission since this defies classical aperture diffraction theory. This paper fortifies the present understanding of the role surface plasmon polaritons (SPP) play in explaining this phenomenon, by using surface-wave dispersion and Floquet lattice diagrams to link up with the peaks in the transmission spectra. The incidence angle and polarization of the irradiation are taken into account in this work.
2. Ulrich, R., "Far-infrared properties of metallic mesh and its complementary structure," Infrared Phys., Vol. 7, No. 1, 37-55, Mar. 1967.
3. Ressler, G. M. and K. D. Moller, "Far infrared bandpass filters and measurements on a reciprocal grid," Appl. Opt., Vol. 6, No. 5, 893-896, May 1967.
4. Mitsuishi, A., Y. Otsuka, S. Fujita, and H. Yoshinaga, "Metal mesh filters in the far infrared region," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 2, No. 9, 574-577, Sep. 1963.
5. Chen, C. C., "Diffraction of electromagnetic waves by a conducting screen perforated periodically with circular holes," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 19, No. 5, 475-481, May 1971.
6. Chen, C. C., "Transmission through a conducting screen perforated periodically with apertures," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 18, No. 9, 627-632, Sep. 1970.
7. Lee, S. W., G. Zarrillo, and C. L. Law, "Simple formulas for transmission through periodic metal grids or plates," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 30, No. 5, 904-909, Sep. 1982.
8. Ebbesen, T. W., H. J. Lezec, H. F. Ghaemi, T. Thio, and P. A. Wolff, "Extraordinary optical transmission through sub-wavelength hole arrays," Nature, Vol. 391, 667-669, London, Feb. 1998.
9. Bethe, H. A., "Theory of diffraction by small holes," Phys. Rev., Vol. 66, No. 7 & 8, 163-182, Oct. 1944.
10. Sambles, J. R., "More than transparent," Nature, Vol. 391, No. 6668, 641-642, London, Feb. 1998.
11. Thio, T., H. J. Lezec, and T. W. Ebbesen, "Strongly enhanced optical transmission through subwavelength holes in metal films," Physica B, Vol. 279, 90-93, Amsterdam, 2000.
12. Gordon, R., A. G. Brolo, D. Sinton, and K. L. Kavanagh, "Resonant optical transmission through hole-arrays in metal films: physics and applications," Laser & Photon. Rev., Vol. 4, No. 2, 311-335, Feb. 2010.
13. Genet, C. and T. W. Ebbesen, "Light in tiny holes," Nature, Vol. 445, 39-46, Jan. 2007.
14. Coe, J. V., J. M. Heer, S. Teeters-Kennedy, H. Tian, and K. R. Rodriguez, "Extraordinary transmission of metal films with arrays of subwavelength holes," Ann. Rev. Phys. Chem., Vol. 59, 179-202, 2008.
15. Stewart, M. E., C. R. Anderton, L. B. Thompson, J. Maria, S. K. Gray, J. A. Rogers, and R. G. Nuzzo, "Nanostructured plasmonic sensors," Chem. Rev., Vol. 108, 494-521, Jan. 2008.
16. Gordon, R., D. Sinton, K. L. Kavanagh, and A. G. Brolo, "A new generation of sensors based on extraordinary optical transmission," Acc. Chem. Res., Vol. 41, No. 8, 1049-1057, Jul. 2008.
17. Raether, H., Surface Plasmons on Smooth and Rough Surfaces and on Gratings, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1988.
18. Ghaemi, H. F., T. Thio, D. E. Grupp, T. W. Ebbesen, and H. J. Lezec, "Surface plasmons enhance optical transmission through subwavelength holes," Phy. Rev. B, Vol. 58, 6779-6782, Sep. 1998.
19. Grupp, D. E., H. J. Lezec, T. W. Ebbesen, K. M. Pellerin, and T. Thio, "Crucial role of metal surface in enhanced transmission through subwavelength apertures," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 77, 1569-1571, 2000.
20. Schroter, U. and D. Heitmann, "Surface-plasmon-enhanced transmission through metallic gratings," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 58, No. v, 419-421, Dec. 1998.
21. Treacy, M. M. J., "Dynamical diffraction in metallic optical gratings," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 75, No. 5, 606-608, Aug. 1999.
22. Porto, J. A., F. J. Garcia-Vidal, and J. B. Pendry, "Transmission resonances on metallic gratings with very narrow slits," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 83, No. 14, 2845-2848, Oct. 1999.
23. Popov, E., M. Neviere, S. Enoch, and R. Reinisch, "Theory of light transmission through subwavelength periodic hole arrays," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 62, No. 23, 16100-16108, Dec. 2000.
24. Enoch, S., E. Popov, M. Neviere, and R. Reinisch, "Enhanced light transmission by hole arrays," J. Opt. A, Vol. 4, No. 5, S83-S87, Aug. 2002.
25. Krishan, A., T. Thio, T. J. Kim, H. J. Lezec, T. W. Ebbesen, P. A. Wolff, J. B. Pendry, L. Martin-Moreno, and F. J. Garcia-Vidal, "Evanescently coupled resonance in surface plasmon enhanced transmission," Opt. Commun., Vol. 200, No. 1-6, 1-7, Dec. 2001.
26. Martin-Moreno, L., F. J. Garcia-Vidal, H. J. Lezec, K. M. Pellerin, T. Thio, J. B. Pendry, and T. W. Ebbesen, "Theory of extraordinary optical transmission through subwavelength hole arrays," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 86, 1114-1117, Feb. 2001.
27. Darmanyan, S. A. and A. V. Zayats, "Light tunneling via resonant surface plasmon polariton states and the enhanced transmission of periodically nanostructured metal films: an analytical study," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 67, 035424, 1-7, Jan. 2003.
28. Popov, E., M. Neviere, P. Boyer, and N. Bonod, "Light transmission through a subwavelength hole," Optics Commun., Vol. 255, 338-348, Jun. 2005.
29. Sobnack, M. B., W. C. Tan, N. P. Wanstall, T. W. Preist, and J. R. Sambles, "Stationary surface plasmons on a zero-order metal grating," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 80, No. 25, 5667-5670, Jun. 1998.
30. Astilean, S., P. Lalanne, and M. Palamaru, "Light transmission through metallic channels much smaller than the wavelength," Opt. Commun., Vol. 175, 265-273, Mar. 2000.
31. Takakura, Y., "Optical resonance in a narrow slit in a thick metallic screen," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 86, No. 24, 5601-5603, Jun. 2001.
32. Krishnan, A., T. Thio, T. J. Kim, H. J. Lezec, T. W. Ebbesen, P. A. Wolff, J. Pendry, L. Martin-Moreno, and F. J. Garcia-Vidal, "Evanescently coupled resonance in surface plasmon enhanced transmission," Optics Commun., Vol. 200, 1-7, Dec. 2001.
33. Medina, F., F. Mesa, and R. Marques, "Extraordinary transmission through arrays of electrically small holes from a circuit theory perspective," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 56, No. 2, 3108-3120, Dec. 2008.
33. Medina, F., F. Mesa, and R. Marque, "Extraordinary transmission through arrays of electrically small holes from a circuit theory perspective,", Vol. 56, No. 2, 3108-3120, Dec. 2008.
34. Medina, F., F. Mesa, and D. C. Skigin, "Extraordinary transmission through arrays of slits: a circuit theory model," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 58, No. 1, 105-115, Jan. 2010.
35. Beruete, M., M. Navarro-Cia, and M. S. Ayza, "Understanding anomalous extraordinary transmission from equivalent circuit and grounded slab concepts," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 59, No. 9, 2180-2188, Sep. 2011.
36. Beruete, M., I. Campillo, M. Navarro-Ca, F. Falcone, and M. Sorolla, "Molding left- or right-handed metamaterials by stacked cutoff metallic hole arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1514-1521, Jun. 2007.
37. Delgado, V., R. Marques, and L. Jelinek, "Coupled-wave surface-impedance analysis of extraordinary transmission through single and stacked metallic screens," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1342-1351, Mar. 2013.
38. Beruete, M., M. Sorolla, I. Campillo, and J. S. Dolado, "Increase of the transmission in cut-off metallic hole arrays," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 2, 116-118, Feb. 2005.
39. Lomakin, V. and E. Michielssen, "Enhanced transmission through metallic plates perforated by arrays of subwavelength holes and sandwiched between dielectric slabs," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 71, No. 23, 235117, Jun. 2005.
40. Lomakin, V. and E. Michielssen, "Transmission of transient plane waves through perfect electrically conducting plates perforated by periodic arrays of subwavelength holes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 3, 970-984, Mar. 2006.
41. Bravo-Abad, J., I. Martin-Moreno, and F. J. Garcia-Vidal, "Resonant transmission of light through subwavelength holes in thick metal films," IEEE J. Selec. Topics Quan. Electron., Vol. 12, No. 6, 1221-1227, Nov./Dec. 2006.
42. Mary, A., S. Rodrigo, L. Martin-Moreno, and F. Garcia-Vidal, "Theory of light transmission through an array of rectangular holes," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 76, No. 19, 195414, Nov. 2007.
43. Chen, Y., Y.Wang, Y. Zhang, and S. Liu, "Numerical investigation of the transmission enhancement through subwavelength hole array," Optics Commun., Vol. 274, 236-240, Feb. 2007.
44. Schuchinsky, A. G., D. E. Zelenchuk, and A. M. Lerer, "Enhanced transmission in microwave arrays of periodic sub-wavelength apertures," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 7, S102-S109, Jan. 2005.
45. Schuchinsky, A. G., D. E. Zelenchuk, A. M. Lerer, and R. Dickie, "Full-wave analysis of layered aperture arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 490-502, Feb. 2006.
46. Monni, S., G. Gerini, A. Neto, and A. G. Tijhuis, "Multi-mode equivalent networks for the design and analysis of frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 10, 2824-2835, Oct. 2007.
47. Beruete, M., M. Sorolla, I. Campillo, J. S. Dolado, L. Martin-Moreno, J. Bravo-Abad, and F. J. Garcia-Vidal, "Enhanced millimeter-wave transmission through subwavelength hole arrays," Opt. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 21, 2500-2502, Nov. 2004.
48. Beruete, M., M. Sorolla, I. Campillo, J. S. Dolado, L. Martin-Moreno, J. Bravo-Abad, and F. J. Garcia-Vidal, "Enhanced millimeter wave transmission through quasioptical subwavelength perforated plates," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 6, 1897-1903, Jun. 2005.
49. Hu, D. and Y. Zhang, "Localized surface plasmons-based transmission enhancement of terahertz radiation through metal aperture arrays," Optik, Vol. 121, 1423-1426, Feb. 2009.
50. Shirmanesh, G. K., A. Khavasi, and K. Mehrany, "Accurate effective medium theory for arrays of metallic nanowires," Journal of Optics, Vol. 17, 025104, 2015.
51. Yarmoghaddam, E., G. K. Shirmanesh, A. Khavasi, and K. Mehrany, "Circuit model for periodic array of slits with multiple propagating diffracted orders," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 8, 4041-4048, Aug. 2018.
52. Ng Mou Kehn, M., "Modal analysis of substrate integrated waveguides with rectangular via-holes using cavity and multilayer Green's functions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 62, No. 10, 2214-2231, Oct. 2014.
53. Lord Rayleigh, "On the dynamical theory of gratings," Proc. R. Soc. London, Ser. A, Vol. 79, 399, 1907.
54. Lord Rayleigh, "Note on the remarkable case of diffraction spectra described by Prof. Wood," Philos. Mag., Vol. 14, 60, 1907.
55. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1997.