The High Frequency hybrid radar mode combines sky and surface wave propagation. As all High Frequency radars, it can be impacted by ionospheric instabilities. A behavioral model able to include ionospheric spatial and temporal variations has been implemented to estimate the impact of ionospheric irregularities on radar signal processing and Doppler-distance images. In this work, probabilistic models of the ionospheric fluctuations in the ray tracing have been introduced using the phase path fluctuation only. Based on Shkarofsky's spectral power density, random variations on some parameters of Booker's electron density profile have been performed to generate disturbed electron density profiles. Afterwards, a propagation delay, integrated in the received radar signal, has been calculated in terms of phase path variation. Moreover, the temporal aspect of the ionospheric variations has been macroscopically implemented by a filtering step according to the Total Electron Content variation. Results of this simulation are presented with the corresponding statistics. Doppler and distance distributions have been computed for several filter cut-off frequency values and for different Shkarofsky's spectral power density parameters. At last, the process described above works properly: its results have been successfully compared with actual radar data for this purpose.
2. Wagen, J.-F. and K. C. Yeh, "A numerical study of waves reflected from a turbulent ionosphere," Radio Science, Vol. 21, No. 4, 583-604, July–August 1986.
3. Zernov, N. N. and B. Lundborg, "The influence of ionospheric electron density fluctuations on HF pulse propagation," Journal of Atmospheric and Terrestrial Physics, Vol. 57, No. 1, 65-73, 1995.
4. Nickisch, L. J., G. St. John, S. V. Fridman, M. A Hausman, and C. J. Coleman, "HiCIRF: A high-fidelity HF channel simulation," Radio Science, Vol. 47, No. 4, RS0L11, 2012.
5. Jangal, F., P. Dorey, M. Menelle, and N. Bourey, "HF radars and HF propagation simulations," 2013 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2692-2693, April 2013.
6. Halim, R. A. and M. D. Seck, "The simulation-based multi-objective evolutionary optimization (SIMEON) framework," Proceedings of the 2011 Winter Simulation Conference (WSC), 2834-2846, Phoenix, AZ, USA, December 2011.
7. Booker, H. G., "Fitting of multi-region ionospheric profiles of electron density by a single analytic function of height," Journal of Atmospheric and Terrestrial Physics, Vol. 39, No. 5, 619-623, 1977.
8. Garner, T. W., B. T. Taylor, T. L. Gaussiran, W. R. Coley, and M. R. Hairston, "On the distribution of ionospheric electron density observations," Space Weather, Vol. 3, No. 10, 2005.
9. Garner, T. W., B. T. Taylor, T. L. Gaussiran, W. R. Coley, M. R. Hairston, and F. J. Rich, "Statistical behavior of the topside electron density as determined from DMSP observations: A probabilistic climatology," Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics, Vol. 115, No. A7, 2010.
10. Yeh, K. C. and C. H. Liu, Theory of Ionospheric Waves, Academic Press, 1972.
11. Robinson, I. and P. L. Dyson, "Effects of ionospheric irregularities on radio waves — I. Phase path changes," Journal of Atmospheric and Terrestrial Physics, Vol. 37, No. 11, 1459-1467, 1975.
12. Dyson, P. L. and J. A. Bennett, "A model of the vertical distribution of the electron concentration in the ionosphere and its application to oblique propagation studies," Journal of Atmospheric and Terrestrial Physics, Vol. 50, 251-262, March 1988.
13. Fejer, B. G. and M. C. Kelley, "Ionospheric irregularities," Reviews of Geophysics and Space Physics, Vol. 18, 401-454, May 1980.
14. Dyson, P. L., "Relationships between the rate of change of phase path/Doppler shift/and angle of arrival," Journal of Atmospheric and Terrestrial Physics, Vol. 37, 1151-1154, August 1975.
15. Jouaust, R., "L'ionosphere et les evanouissements brusques des ondes radioelecriques courtes," J. Phys. Radium, Vol. 10, No. 6, 251-259, 1939.
16. Snyder, W. and R. A. Helliwell, "Universal wave polarization chart for the magneto-ionic theory," Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 57, No. 1, 73-84, 1952.
17. Hanuise, C., J. P. Villain, D. Gresillon, B. Cabrit, R. A. Greenwald, and K. B. Bakerl, "Interpretation Of HF radar ionospheric Doppler spectra by collective wave scattering-theory," Annales Geophysicae, Vol. 11, No. 1, 29-39, 1993.
18. Gherm, V. E., N. N. Zernov, H. J. Strangeways, and M. Darnell, "Scattering functions for wideband HF channels," 2000 Eighth International Conference on HF Radio Systems and Techniques, 341-345, Guildford, UK, July 2000.
19. AbiAkl, M. J., F. Jangal, M. Darces, and M. Helier, "Behavioral model of ionospheric effects in HF radars," 2017 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 1254-1257, Paris, France, March 2017.
20. AbiAkl, M. J., F. Jangal, M. Darces, and M. Helier, "Modelling the ionospheric effects in HF radar long term integration," 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, Davos, Switzerland, April 2016.
21. AbiAkl, M. J., F. Jangal, M. Darces, and M. Helier, "Modele comportemental pour radars HF d'une ionosphere perturbee," Conference JNM 2017, 20emes Journees Nationales Micro-Ondes, Saint-Malo, France, May 2017.
22. AbiAkl, M. J., F. Jangal, M. Darces, and M. Helier, "Ionospheric clutter simulator for high frequency radars wave propagation," Conference IEEE APS/URSI 2017, IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, San Diego, United States, July 2017.
23. Rawer, K., D. Bilitza, and S. Ramakrishnan, "Goals and status of the international reference ionosphere," Reviews of Geophysics, Vol. 16, No. 2, 177-181, 1978.
24. Gavin, H. P., Random processes, correlation, and power spectral density, Duke University, 2016.
25. Shkarofsky, I. P., "Generalized turbulence space-correlation and wave-number spectrum-function pairs," Canadian Journal of Physics, Vol. 46, No. 19, 2133-2153, 1968.
26. Zernov, N. N., "Scattering of waves of the SW range in oblique propagation in the ionosphere," Radiophysics and Quantum Electronics, Vol. 23, No. 2, 109-114, 1980.
27. Xu, Z. W. and J. Wu, "On the mutual coherence function and mean arrival time of radio propagation through the turbulent ionosphere," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 8, 2622-2629, August 2008.
28. Jandieri, G., Z. Diasamidze, and M. Diasamidze, "Scintillation spectra of scattered electromagnetic waves in turbulent magnetized plasma," Journal of Basic and Applied Physics, Vol. 2, 224-234, November 2013.
29. Ning, B., G. Li, and H. Yuan, "Analysis of ionospheric scintillation spectra and TEC in the Chinese low latitude region," Earth Planets Space, Vol. 59, 279285, May 2007.
30. Martyn, D. F., "The propagation of medium radio waves in the ionosphere," Proceedings of the Physical Society, Vol. 47, No. 2, 323-339, March 1935.