The transition towards next generation communications has increased the need for fast and accurate propagation models that can predict all aspects of the wireless channel. This paper develops a very accurate approach for indoor propagation modelling based on the volume electric field integral equation (VEFIE). The three-dimensional form of the VEFIE is used to predict frequency domain characteristics. Whilst, a 2D to 3D model is developed based on the 2D VEFIE to perform accurate and efficient time domain predictions. The 2D to 3D model applies correction terms to the solution of the 2D VEFIE to account for three-dimensional propagation. Both models are compared against frequency and time domain measurements as well as popular empirical models for both scenarios.
2. Saunders, S. and A. Aragon-Zavala, Antennas and Propagation for Wireless Communication Systems, John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
3. Rappaport, T. S., Wireless Communications: Principles and Practice, Vol. 2, Prentice Hall PTR, New Jersey, 1996.
4. Pedersen, G. F., COST 231 — Digital Mobile Radio towards Future Generation Systems, EU, 1999.
5. Motley, A. J. and J. M. P. Keenan, "Personal communication radio coverage in buildings at 900 MHz and 1700 MHz," Electronics Letters, Vol. 24, No. 12, 763-764, Jun. 1988.
6. Rappaport, T. S., S. Y. Seidel, and K. Takamizawa, "Statistical channel impulse response models for factory and open plan building radio communicate system design," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 39, No. 5, 794-807, May 1991.
7. De Adana, F. S., O. G. Blanco, I. G. Diego, J. P. Arriaga, and M. F. Catedra, "Propagation model based on ray tracing for the design of personal communication systems in indoor environments," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 49, No. 6, 2105-2112, Nov. 2000.
8. Ament, W. S., "Toward a theory of re ection by a rough surface," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 41, No. 1, 142-146, Jan. 1953.
9. Degli-Esposti, V., "A diffuse scattering model for urban propagation prediction," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 7, 1111-1113, Jul. 2001.
10. Degli-Esposti, V., D. Guiducci, A. de'Marsi, P. Azzi, and F. Fuschini, "An advanced field prediction model including diffuse scattering," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 7, 1717-1728, Jul. 2004.
11. Zhai, M.-L., W.-Y. Yin, Z. D. Chen, H. Nie, and X.-H. Wang, "Modeling of ultra-wideband indoor channels with the modified leapfrog ADI-FDTD method," International Journal of Numerical Modelling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields, Vol. 28, No. 1, 50-64, 2015.
12. Alighanbari, A. and C. D. Sarris, "Rigorous and efficient time-domain modeling of electromagnetic wave propagation and fading statistics in indoor wireless channels," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 8, 2373-2381, Aug. 2007.
13. Lim, C.-P., J. L. Volakis, K. Sertel, R. W. Kindt, and A. Anastasopoulos, "Indoor propagation models based on rigorous methods for site-specific multipath environments," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1718-1725, Jun. 2006.
14. De la Roche, G. and J. M. Gorce, "A 3D formulation of MR-FDPF for simulating indoor radio propagation," 2006 First European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-6, Nov. 2006.
15. De la Roche, G., J. M. Gorcey, and J. Zhang, "Optimized implementation of the 3D MR-FDPF method for indoor radio propagation predictions," 2009 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2241-2245, Mar. 2009.
16. Pham-Xuan, V., I. Kavanagh, M. Condon, and C. Brennan, "On comparison of integral equation approaches for indoor wave propagation," 2014 IEEE-APS Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC), 796-799, Aug. 2014.
17. Kavanagh, I., "Developing a method of moments based indoor propagation model," EUROCON 2015 — International Conference on Computer as a Tool (EUROCON), Vol. 1, No. 2, 1-6, IEEE, Sep. 2015.
18. Lu, C. C., "Indoor radio-wave propagation modeling by multilevel fast multipole algorithm," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 29, No. 3, 168-175, 2001.
19. Zhang, Z. Q., Q. H. Liu, C. Xiao, E. Ward, G. Ybarra, and W. T. Joines, "Microwave breast imaging: 3-D forward scattering simulation," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 50, No. 10, 1180-1189, Oct. 2003.
20. Peterson, A. F., S. L. Ray, and R. Mittra, Computational Methods for Electromagnetics, Vol. 2, IEEE Press, New York, 1998.
21. Golub, G. H. and C. F. van Loan, Matrix Computations, Vol. 3, JHU Press, 2012.
22. Van der Vorst, H. A., Iterative Krylov Methods for Large Linear Systems, Vol. 13, Cambridge University Press, 2003.
23. Van Dongen, K., C. Brennan, and W. M. D.Wright, "Reduced forward operator for electromagnetic wave scattering problems," IET Science, Measurement and Technology, Vol. 1, No. 1, 57-62, Jan. 2007.
24. Meissner, P., E. Leitinger, S. Hinteregger, J. Kulmer, M. Lafer, and K. Witrisal, MeasureMINT UWB database, Graz University of Technology, [online] available: www.spsc.tugraz.at/tools/UWBmeasurements, 2013.
25. Meissner, P., M. Gan, F. Mani, E. Leitinger, M. Frhle, C. Oestges, T. Zemen, and K. Witrisal, "On the use of ray tracing for performance prediction of UWB indoor localization systems," 2013 IEEE International Conference on Communications Workshops (ICC), 68-73, Jun. 2013.
26. Sarkar, T. K., Z. Ji, K. Kim, A. Medouri, and M. Salazar-Palma, "A survey of various propagation models for mobile communication," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 3, 51-82, Jun. 2003.
27. Solahuddin, Y. F. and R. Mardeni, "Indoor empirical path loss prediction model for 2.4 GHz 802.11n network," 2011 IEEE International Conference on Control System, Computing and Engineering (ICCSCE), 12-17, Nov. 2011.
28. Andrade, C. B. and R. P. F. Hoefel, "IEEE 802.11 WLANs: A comparison on indoor coverage models," 2010 23rd Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE), 1-6, May 2010.
29. Kavanagh, I. and C. Brennan, "Validation of a volume integral equation method for indoor propagation modelling," 2017 Loughborough Antennas Propagation Conference (LAPC), Nov. 2017.
30. Holloway, C. L., M. G. Cotton, and P. McKenna, "A model for predicting the power delay profile characteristics inside a room," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 48, No. 4, 1110-1120, Jul. 1999.