A compact six elements MIMO antenna is presented for UWB applications. The proposed MIMO array consists of non-identical monopole antennas with distinctive ground planes so as to nullify mutual coupling amid side-by-side elements. Also, by properly placing the antenna elements exploiting cross polarization diversity, a good isolation throughout the operating bandwidth is achieved. Moreover, two parasitic inverted L stubs in combination with small rectangular stubs are employed near the middle-placed radiators and corner placed radiators, respectively, in order to extend the frequency band and enhance the impedance matching. Results show a good reflection coefficient about -10 dB, a high isolation >20 dB, an envelope correlation coefficients <0.15, a high diversity gain equal to 9.3, and finally, a maximum value of efficiency for both used antenna elements which is about 78% and 60% with 6 and 5 dBi of gain, respectively. They validate the proposed MIMO antenna efficiency for UWB diversity applications.
2. Grau, L., A. Andújar, and J. Anguera, "On the isolation of a MIMO 2×2 antenna system using non-resonant elements: 1.71 GHz-2.69 GHz case study," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 9, 2348-2353, 2017.
3. Ibrahim, A. A., J. Machac, and R. M. Shubair, "Compact UWB MIMO antenna with pattern diversity and band rejection characteristics," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 6, 1460-1463, 2017.
4. Wani, Z. and D. Kumar, "A compact 4 × 4 MIMO antenna for UWB applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 6, 1433-1437, 2016.
5. Takahashi, K., N. Honma, and K. Murata, "Miniaturized six port MIMO antenna using T-shaped conductor and reactance-loaded notch antenna," IEICE Communications Express, Vol. 5, No. 2, 57-62, 2016.
6. Khan, M. U. and M. S. Sharawi, "A 2 × 1 multiband MIMO antenna system consisting of miniaturized patch elements," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1371-1375, 2014.
7. Xiao, P. E. I., A. L. Borja, and J. R. Kelly, "A technique for MIMO antenna design with flexible element number and pattern diversity," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 86157-86167, 2019.
8. Deng, J. Y., J. Yao, D. Q. Sun, and L. X. Guo, "Ten-element MIMO antenna for 5G terminals," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, No. 12, 3045-3049, 2018.
9. Takahashi, K., N. Honma, K. Murata, and Y. Tsunekawa, "Performance of miniaturized 6-port MIMO antenna using orthogonal polarization," 2014 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Conference Proceedings, Vol. 3, 185-186, 2014.
10. Coetzee, J. C., J. D. Cordwell, E. Underwood, and S. L. Waite, "Single-layer decoupling networks for circulant symmetric arrays," IETE Tech. Rev. (Institution Electron. Telecommun. Eng. India), Vol. 28, No. 3, 232-239, 2011.
11. Al-Hadi, A. A., J. Ilvonen, R. Valkonen, and V. Viikari, "Eight-element antenna array for diversity and MIMO mobile terminal in LTE 3500 MHz band," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1323-1327, 2014.
12. Mchbal, A., N. Amar Touhami, H. Elftouh, and A. Dkiouak, "Mutual coupling reduction using a protruded ground branch structure in a compact UWB Owl-shaped MIMO antenna," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2018, 1-10, 2018.
13. Chen, L., J. Hong, and M. Amin, "A twelve-ports dual-polarized MIMO log-periodic dipole array antenna for UWB applications," Radioengineering, 68-73, 2019.
14. Abdullah, M., S. H. Kiani, L. F. Abdulrazak, and A. Iqbal, "High-performance multiple-input multiple-output antenna system for 5G mobile terminals," Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 10, 1090, 2019.
15. Satam, V., "Six-element dual polarized high-gain MIMO antenna for multiband applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., 1-9, March 2019.
16. Amin, F., R. Saleem, T. Shabbir, and S. Rehman, "A compact quad-element UWB-MIMO antenna system with parasitic decoupling mechanism," Appl. Sci., Vol. 9, No. 11, 2371, 2019.
17. Zhai, H., J. Zhang, T. Li, and C. Liang, "A high isolation dual-band MIMO antenna array for multiaccess mobile terminals," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 3, 672-677, 2015.
18. Ahmad, A., "Design and performance analysis of six element MIMO antenna for wireless routers," 2016 19th International Multi-Topic Conference (INMIC), 2016.
19. Chen, Z., W. Geyi, M. Zhang, and J. Wang, "A study of antenna system for high order MIMO device," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2016, Article ID 1936797, 2016.