Two types of quad-band millimetric-wave four-port MIMO antenna systems are proposed for the forthcoming generations of mobile handsets. A novel printed antenna is introduced to be the single-element of the MIMO antenna system. It is shown that the proposed MIMO antennas are capable to produce both spatial and polarization diversities that enhance the performance of mobile communications. A co-polarized four-port MIMO antenna is proposed to provide spatial diversity whereas another cross-polarized four-port MIMO antenna is proposed to produce both spatial and polarization diversities. It is shown that the two types of MIMO antennas can operate efficiently over the four frequency bands centered at 28, 43, 52, and 57 GHz. Prototypes are fabricated for the proposed MIMO antennas for the sake of experimental evaluation. Both the experimental and simulated results show that the achieved bandwidths, at the four operational frequency bands, are 0.6, 0.6, 1.8, and 1.5 GHz, respectively. Also, the radiation efficiencies calculated at the four operational frequencies are 86.5%, 87.5%, 89.2%, and 90.0%, respectively. The dimensions and the results concerning the performance of the proposed MIMO antennas are compared to those of other designs for MIMO antennas available in some recently published work.
2. Wong, H. S., S. Kibria, M. T. Islam, J. S. Mandeep, and N. Misran, "Quad band handset antenna for LTE MIMO and WLAN application," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2014.
3. Mishra, M. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "Compact quad-band MIMO antenna array with low mutual coupling for mobile terminal," IEEE Region 10 Symposium (TENSYMP), 665-670, June 2019.
4. Rajagopal, C., N. Noorullakhan, S. B. Suseela, and R. Sankararajan, "Compact modified circular patch quad-band MIMO antenna with high isolation and low correlation," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, No. 3, 581-590, 2017.
5. Seker, C., T. Ozturk, and M. Guneser, "A single band antenna design for future millimeter wave wireless communication at 38 GHz," European Journal of Engineering and Formal Sciences, Vol. 2, No. 2, 35-39, 2018.
6. Eldesouki, E. M., K. F. A. Hussein, and A. M. El-Nadi, "Circularly polarized arrays of cavity backed slot antennas for X-band satellite communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 9, 179-198, 2008.
7. Hussein, K. F. A., "Conical linear spiral antenna for tracking, telemetry and command of low earth orbit satellites," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 29, 97-107, 2012.
8. Elkady, O. A., S. A. Abolkassem, A. H. Elsayed, W. A. Hussein, and K. F. A. Hussein, "Microwave absorbing efficiency of Al matrix composite reinforced with nano-Ni/SiC particles," Results in Physics, Vol. 12, 687-700, 2019.
9. Marzouk, H., M. I. Ahmed, and A. H. Shaalan, "Novel dual-band 28/38 GHz MIMO antennas for 5G mobile applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 93, 103-117, 2019.
10. Riaz, M. J., A. Sultan, M. Zahid, A. Javed, Y. Amin, and J. Loo, "MIMO antennas for future 5G communications," 2020 IEEE 23rd International Multitopic Conference (INMIC), 1-4, IEEE, 2020.
11. Aghoutane, B., S. Das, M. EL Ghzaoui, B. T. P. Madhav, and H. El Faylali, "A novel dual band high gain 4-port millimeter wave MIMO antenna array for 28/37 GHz 5G applications," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 154071, 2021.
12. Katragadda, S. and P. V. Y. Jayasree, "MIMO antenna miniaturization standards for future 5G," International Journal of Intelligent Unmanned Systems, March 2, 2021.
13. Ali, W., S. Das, H. Medkour, and S. Lakrit, "Planar dual-band 27/39 GHz millimeter-wave MIMO antenna for 5G applications," Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 27, No. 1, 283-292, 2021.
14. Sehrai, D. A., M. Asif, N. Shoaib, M. Ibrar, S. Jan, M. Alibakhshikenari, A. Lalbakhsh, and E. Limiti, "Compact quad-element high-isolation wideband MIMO antenna for mm-wave applications," Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 11, 1300, 2021.
15. El-Hassan, M. A., A. E. Farahat, and K. F. A. Hussein, "Compact-size quad-band patch and MIMO antenna system for 5G mobile handsets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 112, 221-238, 2021.
16. El-Hassan, M. A., A. E. Farahat, and K. F. A. Hussein, "Quad-band MIMO antenna system for 5G mobile handsets," The Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal (ACES), Vol. 36, No. 11, 2021.
17. Farahat, A. E. and K. F. A. Hussein, "Dual-band (28/38 GHz) MIMO antenna system for 5G mobile communications with efficient DoA estimation algorithm in noisy channels," The Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal (ACES), Vol. 36, No. 3, 282-294, 2021.
18. Farahat, A. E. and K. F. A. Hussein, "28/38 GHz dual-band Yagi-Uda antenna with corrugated radiator and enhanced re ectors for 5G MIMO antenna systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 101, 159-172, 2020.
19. Farahat, A. E. and K. F. A. Hussein, "Dual-band (28/38 GHz) Yagi-Uda antenna with corrugated radiator and triangular reflectors for 5G mobile phones," The Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal (ACES), Vol. 36, No. 10, 1325-1334, 2021.
20. Recioui, A. and H. Bentarzi, "Genetic algorithm based MIMO capacity enhancement in spatially correlated channels including mutual coupling," Wireless Personal communications, Vol. 63, No. 3, 689-701, 2012.
21. Recioui, A., "Capacity optimization of MIMO systems involving conformal antenna arrays using a search group algorithm," Algerian Journal of Signals and Systems, Vol. 5, No. 4, 209-214, 2020.