For the last 20 years, the time-reversal (TR) process has been successfully applied to focus pulses in the microwave frequency range and in complex media. Here we examine the specific conditions to obtain the same results but in the sub-THz frequency range. Because of the stronger attenuation at this much higher frequency, it is more challenging to exploit the TR self-focusing property. The TR of pulses is studied in two kinds of complex media: metallic waveguide and leaky reverberating cavity. For each medium, we propose one or two models to assess the quality of the focusing. For the waveguide, we show that the angle of incidence is an important parameter. Based on these results, we perform TR experiments at 273 GHz with a bandwidth that can be as large as 2 GHz. TR experiments are successfully first conducted in a 1 m long and 10 mm diameter straight hollow cylinder and then in a 5 m long and 12 mm diameter curved waveguide. Finally, we present results obtained in a cavity of 72 cm3 that leaks through a copper grid. The best focusing is observed with the longer waveguide.
2. Fink, M., "Time reversal of ultrasonic fields. I. Basic principles," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol. 39, 555, 1992.
3. Wu, F., J.-L. Thomas, and M. Fink, "Time reversal of ultrasonic fields. Il. Experimental results," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, Vol. 39, 567, 1992.
4. Derode, A., P. Roux, and M. Fink, "Robust acoustic time reversal with high-order multiple scattering," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 75, 4206, 1995.
5. Roux, P. and M. Fink, "Time-reversal in a waveguide," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 110, 2631, 2001.
6. Draeger, C. and M. Fink, "One-channel time reversal of elastic waves in a chaotic 2D-silicon cavity," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 79, 407, 1997.
7. Lerosey, G., J. De Rosny, A. Tourin, A. Derode, G. Montaldo, and M. Fink, "Time reversal of electromagnetic waves," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 92, 193904, 2004.
8. Lerosey, G., J. De Rosny, A. Tourin, A. Derode, and M. Fink, "Time reversal of wideband microwaves," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 88, 154101, 2006.
9. Edelmann, G. F., T. Akal, W. S. Hodgkiss, S. Kim, W. A. Kuperman, and H. C. Song, "An initial demonstration of underwater acoustic communication using time reversal," IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 27, 602, 2002.
10. Hengy, S., P. Hamery, S. De Mezzo, and P. Duffner, "Networked localization of sniper shots using acoustics," SPIE Defense, Security, and Sensing, 804602-804602, International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2011.
11. Pernot, M., J.-F. Aubry, M. Tanter, A.-L. Boch, F. Marquet, M. Kujas, D. Seilhean, and M. Fink, "In vivo transcranial brain surgery with an ultrasonic time reversal mirror," Journal of Neurosurgery, Vol. 106, 1061, 2007.
12. Thomas, J.-L., F. Wu, and M. Fink, "Time reversal focusing applied to lithotripsy," Ultrasonic Imaging, Vol. 18, 106, 1996.
13. Chakroun, N., M. Fink, and F. Wu, "Time reversal processing in ultrasonic nondestructive testing," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, Vol. 42, 1087, 1995.
14. Wang, C. H., J. T. Rose, and F.-K. Chang, "A synthetic time-reversal imaging method for structural health monitoring," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 13, 415, 2004.
15. Roux, P., A. Derode, A. Peyre, A. Tourin, and M. Fink, "Acoustical imaging through a multiple scattering medium using a time-reversal mirror," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 107, L7, 2000.
16. Wang, M., G. Yang, W. Li, and Q. Wu, "An overview of cancer treatment by terahertz radiation," 2013 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on RF and Wireless Technologies for Biomedical and Healthcare Applications (IMWS-BIO), IEEE, 2013.
17. Echchgadda, I., J. E. Grundt, C. Z. Cerna, C. C. Roth, J. A. Payne, B. L. Ibey, and G. J. Wilmink, "Terahertz radiation: A non-contact tool for the selective stimulation of biological responses in human cells," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 6, 54, 2016.
18. Cooper, K. B., R. J. Dengler, N. Llombart, B. Thomas, G. Chattopadhyay, and P. H. Siegel, "THz imaging radar for standoff personnel screening," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 1, 169, 2011.
19. Wietzker, S., C. Jordens, N. Krumbholz, B. Baudrit, M. Bastian, and M. Koch, "Terahertz imaging: A new non-destructive technique for the quality control of plastic weld joints," Journal of the European Optical Society: Rapid Publications, Vol. 2, 2007.
20. Song, H.-J. and T. Nagatsuma, "Present and future of terahertz communications," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 1, 256, 2011.
21. Zhang, Y., W. Zhou, X. Wang, Y. Cui, and W. Sun, "Terahertz digital holography," Strain, Vol. 44, 380, 2008.
22. Ruffin, A. B., J. Decker, L. Sanchez-Palencia, L. L. Hors, J. F. Whitaker, T. B. Norris, and J. V. Rudd, "Time reversal and object reconstruction with single-cycle pulses," Optics Letters, Vol. 26, 681, 2001.
23. Ruffin, A. B., J. V. Rudd, J. Decker, L. Sanchez-Palencia, L. L. Hors, J. F. Whitaker, and T. B. Norris, "Time reversal terahertz imaging," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 38, 1110, 2002.
24. Buma, T. and T. B. Norris, "Time reversal three-dimensional imaging using single-cycle terahertz pulses," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 84, 2196, 2004.
25. Lopato, P. and T. Chady, "Time reversal pulsed terahertz inspection of dielectric structures," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 39, 427, 2012.
26. Musheinesh, M. A., C. J. Divin, J. A. Fessler, and T. B. Norris, "Time-reversal and model-based imaging in a THz waveguide," Optics Express, Vol. 17, 13663, 2009.
27. Draeger, C. and M. Fink, "One-channel time-reversal in chaotic cavities: Theoretical limits," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 105, 611, 1999.
28. Draeger, C., J.-C. Aime, and M. Fink, "One-channel time-reversal in chaotic cavities: Experimental results," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 105, 618, 1999.
29. Derode, A., A. Tourin, and M. Fink, "Ultrasonic pulse compression with one-bit time reversal through multiple scattering," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 85, 6343, 1999.
30. Borcea, L., G. Papanicolaou, C. Tsogka, and J. Berryman, "Imaging and time reversal in random media," Inverse Problems, Vol. 18, 1247, 2002.
31. Goodman, J., Statistical Optics, Wiley, New York, 2000, ISBN 9780471399162.
32. Montaldo, G., P. Roux, A. Derode, C. Negreira, and M. Fink, "Ultrasound shock wave generator with one-bit time reversal in a dispersive medium, application to lithotripsy," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 80, 897, 2002.
33. Davy, M., J. de Rosny, J.-C. Joly, and M. Fink, "Focusing and amplification of electromagnetic waves by time reversal in an leaky reverberation chamber," Comptes Rendus Physique, Vol. 11, 37, 2010.
34. Dupre, M., M. Fink, and G. Lerosey, "Using subwavelength diffraction gratings to design open electromagnetic cavities," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 112, 043902, 2014.
35. Koenig, S., et al., "Wireless sub-THz communication system with high data rate," Nature Photonics, Vol. 7, 977, 2013.