To overcome electronic device dependence on energy storage medium, current research proposes a novel multiband circularly polarized (CP), microstrip patch antenna with a voltage multiplier rectifier circuit for wireless energy harvesting. The proposed antenna is designed with a dimension of 50 mm × 50 mm × 0.16 mm (0.80λ × 0.80λ × 0.028λ). Its annular slot and slits on a circular patch along with a defective ground plane result in a miniaturized, circularly polarized, and multiband response with resonance peaks at 6.3 GHz, 7.4 GHz, and 9.1 GHz, respectively. The voltage multiplier rectifier circuit is designed, optimized, and integrated with the antenna for RF signals to DC power conversion in order to energize low-power sensors-based application modules. The simulated multiband antenna resonates at three frequencies of 6.3 GHz, 7.4 GHz and 9.1 GHz with obtained -10 dB impedance bandwidths of 282 MHz (6.276 GHz-6.549 GHz), 178 MHz (7.348 GHz-7.526 GHz), and 81 MHz (9.136 GHz-9.217 GHz), gain of 6.3 dBi, 10.28 dBi, and 7.9 dBi and axial ratio bandwidth of (6.297 GHz-6.302 GHz), (7.783 GHz-7.411 GHz) and (9.256 GHz-9.473 GHz), respectively. The prototype is fabricated, and its resonance peaks are observed at 6.2 GHz, 7.8 GHz and 9.3 GHz with impedance bandwidth of 195 MHz, 206 MHz and 230 MHz and gain of 6.3 dBi, 9.6 dBi, and 7.4 dBi, respectively. The rectifier circuit is analyzed over the power range -20 dBm to 20 dBm and exhibits an increase in the DC output power significantly with a maximum measured efficiency of 53.34% at a frequency of 7.4 GHz with an associated load resistance of 1 kΩ.
2. Elkorany, A. S., A. N. Mousa, S. Ahmad, D. A. Saleeb, A. Ghaffar, M. Soruri, and E. Limiti, "Implementation of a miniaturized planar tri-band microstrip patch antenna for wireless sensors in mobile applications," Sensors, Vol. 22, No. 2, 667, 2022.
3. Azim, R., K. Dhar, M. S. Mia, and M. T. Islam, "Inset-fed microstrip patch antenna for ubiquitous wireless communication applications," International Journal of Ultra Wideband Communications and Systems, Vol. 5, No. 2, 57-64, 2022.
4. Khera, S., N. Turk, and N. Kaur, "Energy harvesting aspects of wireless sensor networks: A review," Int. J. Recent Innov. Trends Comput. Commun., Vol. 5, No. 5, 875-878, 2017.
5. Aga, N., N. Agasimani, C. D. Bhushanagoudra, A. Pawar, and S. Naduvinamani, "Review on energy harvesting sources," Indian Journal of Scientic Research, 273-280, 2015.
6. Abdulhadi, A. E. and R. Abhari, "Multiport UHF RFID-tag antenna for enhanced energy harvesting of self-powered wireless sensors," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Vol. 12, No. 2, 801-808, 2015.
7. Ibrahim, H. H., M. J. Singh, S. S. Al-Bawri, S. K. Ibrahim, M. T. Islam, A. Alzamil, and M. S. Islam, "Radio frequency energy harvesting technologies: A comprehensive review on designing, methodologies, and potential applications," Sensors, Vol. 22, No. 11, 4144, 2022.
8. Elsheakh, D., "Microwave antennas for energy harvesting applications," Microwave Systems and Applications, IntechOpen, 2017.
9. Ullah, M. A., R. Keshavarz, M. Abolhasan, J. Lipman, K. P. Esselle, and N. Shariati, "A review on antenna technologies for ambient RF energy harvesting and wireless power transfer: Designs, challenges and applications," IEEE Access, 2022.
10. Al-Yasir, Y. I., N. O. Parchin, M. N. Fares, A. Abdulkhaleq, M. Sajedin, I. T. Elfergani, J. Rodriguez, and R. Abd-Alhameed, "New high-gain differential-fed dual-polarized ltering microstrip antenna for 5G applications," 2020 14th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), IEEE, 2020.
11. Divakaran, S. K. and D. D. Krishna, "RF energy harvesting systems: An overview and design issues," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 1, e21633, 2019.
12. Singh, D. and V. M. Srivastava, "Polarization insensitive 3D cylindrical shaped frequency selective surface," 2017 10th International Conference on Developments in eSystems Engineering (DeSE), IEEE, 2017.
13. Ramalingam, L., S. Mariappan, P. Parameswaran, J. Rajendran, R. S. Nitesh, N. Kumar, and B. S. Yarman, "The advancement of radio frequency energy harvesters (RFEHs) as a revolutionary approach for solving energy crisis in wireless communication devices: A review," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 106107-106139, 2021.
14. Yusoff, S. S., S. A. Malik, and T. Ibrahim, "Simulation and performance analysis of a dual GSM band rectier circuit for ambient RF energy harvesting," Applications of Modelling and Simulation, Vol. 5, 125-133, 2021.
15. Tang, X., G. Xie, and Y. Cui, "Self-sustainable long-range backscattering communication using RF energy harvesting," IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Vol. 8, No. 17, 13737-13749, 2021.
16. Sun, H. and W. Geyi, "A new rectenna using beamwidth-enhanced antenna array for RF power harvesting applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1451-1454, 2016.
17. Kashyap, N. and D. Singh, "Multiband slotted circular microstrip patch antenna with enhanced bandwidth for satellite applications," 2022 International Mobile and Embedded Technology Conference (MECON), IEEE, 2022.
18. Surender, D., M. A. Halimi, T. Khan, F. A. Talukdar, S. K. Koul, and Y. M. Antar, "2.45 GHz Wi-Fi band operated circularly polarized rectenna for RF energy harvesting in smart city applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 36, No. 3, 407-423, 2022.
19. Yadav, K., A. Chaturvedi, and G. K. Sharma, "Comparative study of antenna in RF-energy harvesting," 2022 2nd International Conference on Power Electronics & IoT Applications in Renewable Energy and Its Control (PARC), 1-7, IEEE, Jan. 2022.
20. Singh, M., D. Singh, G. Kumar, and R. Kumar, "A miniaturized and circularly polarized L-shaped slot antenna for ultra-wideband applications," International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering (IJRTE), Vol. 8, No. 4, ISSN: 2277-3878, Nov. 2019.
21. Singla, G. and R. Khanna, "Double-ring multiband microstrip patch antenna with parasitic strip structure for heterogeneous wireless communication systems," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, No. 8, 1757-1762, 2017.
22. Sah, B. K., G. Singla, and S. Sharma, "Design and development of enhanced bandwidth multi-frequency slotted antenna for 4G-LTE/WiMAX/WLAN and S/C/X-band applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 7, e22214, 2020.
23. Shen, S., C. Y. Chiu, and R. D. Murch, "A dual-port triple-band L-probe microstrip patch rectenna for ambient RF energy harvesting," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 3071-3074, 2017.
24. Zahra, W. and T. Djerafi, "Ambient RF energy harvesting for dual-band frequencies below 6 GHz," 2018 IEEE Wireless Power Transfer Conference (WPTC), 1-2, IEEE, Jun. 2018.
25. Vu, H. S., N. Nguyen, N. Ha-Van, C. Seo, and M. T. Le, "Multiband ambient RF energy harvesting for autonomous IoT devices," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 30, No. 12, 1189-1192, 2020.
26. Kulkarni, J., R. K. Gangwar, and J. Anguera, "Broadband and compact circularly polarized MIMO antenna with concentric rings and oval slots for 5G application," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 29925-29936, 2022.
27. Shen, S., Y. Zhang, C. Y. Chiu, and R. Murch, "An ambient RF energy harvesting system where the number of antenna ports is dependent on frequency," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 67, No. 9, 3821-3832, 2019.
28. Kulkarni, J., C.-Y.-D. Sim, A. K. Poddar, U. L. Rohde, and A. G. Alharbi, "A compact circularly polarized rotated L-shaped antenna with J-shaped defected ground structure for WLAN and V2X applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 102, 135-143, 2022.
29. Agrawal, S., M. S. Parihar, and P. N. Kondekar, "A quad-band antenna for multi-band radio frequency energy harvesting circuit," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 85, 99-107, 2018.
30. Pedram, K., et al., "Compact and miniaturized metamaterial-based microstrip fractal antenna with recongurable qualication," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 114, 152959, 2020.
31. Tran, H. H., N. Nguyen-Trong, and H. C. Park, "A compact dual circularly polarized antenna with wideband operation and high isolation," Journal of RF and Microwave Computer Aided Engg., 1-9, Feb. 2020.
32. Ghosh, S., "Design and testing of RF energy harvesting module in GSM 900 band using circularly polarized antenna," 2015 IEEE International Conference on Research in Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks (ICRCICN), IEEE, 2015.
33. Garlapati, P., H. Chilaka, M. Rangu, R. Chigula, and S. Chilukuri, "A circularly polarized multiband multimode SIW antenna," 2020 11th International Conference on Computing, Communication and Networking Technologies (ICCCNT), 2020.
34. Mouapi, A., N. Hakem, and N. Kandil, "High efficiency rectifier for RF energy harvesting in the GSM band," 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, IEEE, 2017.
35. Ali, W., H. Subbyal, L. Sun, and S. Shamoon, "Wireless energy harvesting using rectenna integrated with voltage multiplier circuit at 2.4 GHz operating frequency," Journal of Power and Energy Engineering, Vol. 10, No. 3, 22-34, 2022.
36. Elsheakh, D., M. Farouk, H. Elsadek, and H. Ghali, "Quad-band rectenna for RF energy harvesting system," Journal of Electromagnetic Analysis and Applications, Vol. 12, No. 5, 57-70, 2020.
37. Singh, N., et al., "Low profile multiband rectenna for efficient energy harvesting at microwave frequencies," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 106, No. 12, 2057-2071, 2019.
38. Sun, H. and W. Geyi, "A new rectenna using beamwidth-enhanced antenna array for RF power harvesting applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1451-1454, 2017, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2016.2642124.
39. Wong, K.-L., H. J. Chang, C. Y. Wang, and S. Y. Wang, "Very-low-profile grounded coplanar waveguide-fed dual-band WLAN slot antenna for on-body antenna application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, No. 1, 213-217, 2019.
40. Singh, N., B. K. Kanaujia, M. T. Beg, Mainuddin, S. Kumar, H. C. Choi, and K. W. Kim, "Low profile multiband rectenna for efficient energy harvesting at microwave frequencies," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 106, No. 12, 2057-2071, Dec. 2019.
41. Kanaya, H., S. Tsukamaoto, T. Hirabaru, D. Kanemoto, R. K. Pokharel, and K. Yoshida, "Energy harvesting circuit on a one-sided directional flexible antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 23, No. 3, 164-166, 2013.
42. Ho, D.-K., I. Kharrat, V. D. Ngo, T. P. Vuong, Q. C. Nguyen, and M. T. Le, "Dual-band rectenna for ambient RF energy harvesting at GSM 900MHz and 1800 MHz," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technologies (ICSET), IEEE, 2016.