Many static and rotating electric energy converters make use of inductive coils as filters, reactive loads or exciters, where a sudden variation of the magnetizing current can produce severe overvoltage with potential subsequent insulation damage. In some applications the overvoltage is the result of a superposition of travelling voltage waves in a supplying line. Traditional tools for studying such phenomena are based on ordinary differential equations that can heavily handle variable parameters, especially if they change according to the rapidity of the observed overvoltage. In this paper the transient voltage distribution in the excitation winding of a salient pole synchronous generator is simulated by solving the problem entirely in the frequency domain, i.e., without any use of the traditional ordinary differential equations solvers. Thismakesit possible to tune the parameters of a simplified electric model to the frequency response of the studied winding. It is shown that for highly inductive windings a single transmission line model with frequency dependent parameters can reproduce voltage transients very accurately, in a broad interval of frequency, relevant for power electronics and electromagnetic compatibility applications. Furthermore, the paper presents the experimental setup which has been needed for generating the fast varying voltage edges.
2. Popov, M., L. van der Sluis, and G. C. Paap, "Investigation of the circuit breaker reignition overvoltages caused by no-load transformer switching surges," Euro. Trans. Electr. Power, Vol. 11, 413-422, 2007.
3. Zheng, Y., C. Li, M. Wu, Z. Wei, C. Gong, and X. Sun, "Influence of circuit breaker features on switching overvoltage of 35 kV shunt reactor on no-load busbar --- II. On site testing and comparison," 8th Renewable Power Generation Conference (RPG 2019), 1-4, Shanghai, China, 2019.
4. Wouters, P., A. van Deursen, and M. Vermeer, "Methodology and accuracy for non-invasive detection of switching transient overvoltages from compensation coils connected to power transformers," IET Sci. Meas. Technol., Vol. 14, No. 2, 173-181, 2020.
5. Benesova, Z., V. Kotlan, and R. Haller, "Influence of transmission line wave properties on surge voltage wave propagation," 18th International Conference on Computational Problems of Electrical Engineering (CPEE), 1-4, Kutna Hora, 2017.
6. Furga l, J., M. Kuniewski, P. Pajak, and , "Analysis of internal overvoltages in transformer windings during transients in electrical networks," Energies, Vol. 13, No. 2644, 1-20, 2020.
7., "IEEE standard for insulation coordination --- Definitions, principles, and rules," IEEE Std 1313.1- 1996, 1996.
8. Biela, J., M. Schweizer, S. Waffler, and J. W. Kolar, "SiC versus Si-evaluation of potentials for performance improvement of inverter and DC-DC converter systems by SiC power semiconductors," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2872-2882, 2011.
9. Ranstad, P., H. Nee, J. Linner, and D. Peftitsis, "An experimental evaluation of SiC switches in soft-switching converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electr., Vol. 29, No. 5, 2527-2538, 2014.
10. Ruffo, R., P. Guglielmi, and E. Armando, "Inverter side RL filter precise design for motor overvoltage mitigation in SiC-based drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 67, No. 2, 863-873, 2020.
11. Hameyer, K., A. Ruf, and F. Pauli, "Influence of fast switching semiconductors on the winding insulation system of electrical machines," International Power Electronics Conference (IPEC- Niigata 2018-ECCE Asia), 740-745, Niigata, 2018.
12. Tran, D., G. Segond, and V. Dossantos, "Modeling and analysis of EMI and overvoltage phenomenon in sic inverter driven motor at high switching frequency," 2018 IEEE 18th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (PEMC), 268-273, Budapest, 2018.
13. Zoeller, C., M. A. Vogelsberger, T. M. Wolbank, and H. Ertl, "Impact of SiC semiconductors switching transition speed on insulation health state monitoring of traction machines," IET Power Electron., Vol. 9, No. 15, 2769-2775, 2016.
14. Wang, P., H. Xu, J. Wang, W. Zhou, and A. Cavallini, "The influence of repetitive square wave voltage rise time on partial discharge inception voltage," 2016 IEEE Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena (CEIDP), 759-762, Toronto, 2016.
15. Benmamas, L., P. Teste, E. Odic, G. Krebs, and T. Hamiti, "Contribution to the analysis of PWM inverter parameters influence on the partial discharge inception voltage," IEEE Trans. Dielectr Electr. Insul., Vol. 26, No. 1, 146-152, 2019.
16. Amarir, S. and K. Al-Haddad, "Overvoltages computation algorithm for motors fed from long cable PWM drives," MELECON 2008 --- The 14th IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference, 554-559, Ajaccio, 2008.
17. Bergeron, L. J. B., "Du coup de belier en hydraulique au coup de foudre en electricite,", 336, Dunod, Paris, 1950.
18. Pulsinelli, F., L. Solero, D. Chiola, K. Sobe, and F. Brucchi, "Overvoltages at motor terminals in SiC electric drives," 2018 International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion (SPEEDAM), 513-518, Amalfi, 2018.
19. Bewley, L. V., "Traveling waves on transmission systems," Trans. AIEE, Vol. 50, No. 2, 532-550, 1921.
20. Sajid, M., M. Surykalavathi, and B. P. Singh, "Measurement and calculation of voltage stress in industrial motor due to fast surges," INAE, Lett., Vol. 4, 83-90, 2019.
21. Kotlan, V. and Z. Benesov, "Overvoltage propagation from transmission line into transformer winding," Adv. Electr. Electron. Eng., Vol. 13, No. 5, 478-483, 2015.
22. Felicetti, R., C. J. D. Abrahamsson, and U. Lundin, "Experimentally validated model of a fast switched salient pole rotor winding," 2019 IEEE Workshop on Electrical Machines Design, Control and Diagnosis (WEMDCD), 150-156, Athens, Greece, 2019.
23. Caniggia, S. and F. R. Maradei, Signal Integrity and Radiated Emission of High-Speed Digital Systems, 482, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., New York, 2008.
24. Martinez-Velasco, J. A., J. A Martinez-Velasco, and ed., Transient Analysis of Power Systems: Solution Techniques, Tools and Applications, 72-99, John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated, ProQuest Ebook Central, 2015, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/uu/detail.action?docID=1875897.
25. Smajic, J., M. Bucher, T. Franz, B. Crangranu-Cretu, A. Shoory, and J. Tepper, "Modeling of frequency dependent parameters in time domain high frequency transformer simulations," Procedia Engineering, Vol. 202, 251-263, 2017.
26. Theocharis, A. and M. Popov, "A piece-wise linearized transformer winding model for the analysis of internal voltage propagation," 2019 IEEE Milan PowerTech., 1-6, Milan, 2019.
27. Morched, A., L. Marti, and J. Ottevangers, "A high frequency transformer model for the EMTP," IEEE Trans. Power Deliv., Vol. 8, No. 3, 1615-1626, 1993.
28. Martinez-Velasco, J. A. and J. A Martinez-Velasco (eds.), Transient Analysis of Power Systems: Solution Techniques, Tools and Applications, 57-60, John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated, ProQuest Ebook Central, 2015, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/uu/detail.action?docID=1875897.
29. Manyahi, M. J., M. Leijon, and R. Thottappillil, "Transient response of transformer with XLPE insulation cable winding design," Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst., Vol. 27, No. 1, 69-80, 2005.
30. Noland, J. K., et al., "Excitation system technologies for wound-field synchronous machines: Survey of solutions and evolving trends," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 109699-109718, 2019.
31. Rudenberg, R., "Performance of travelling waves in coils and windings," AIEE Transactions, Vol. 59, 1031-1045, 1940.
32. Heller, B. and A. Veverka, "Surge Phenomena in Electrical Machines," Publishing House of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, 29, 1968.
33. Kim, C., Z. Jin, P. Jiang, Z. Zhu, and G. Wang, "Investigation of dielectric behavior of thermally aged XLPE cable in the high-frequency range," Polymer Testing, Vol. 25, No. 4, 553-561, 2006.
34. Felicetti, R., C. D. J. Abrahamsson, and U. Lundin, "An experimentally determined field winding model with frequency dependent parameters," IET Electr. Power Appl., Vol. 15, No. 6, 696-716, 2021.
35. Butterworth, S., "Eddy-current losses in cylindrical conductors, with special applications to the alternating current resistances of short coils," Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series A, Vol. 222, 57-100, 1922.
36. Stoll, R. L., Analysis of Eddy Currents, 25, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1974.