A flat lens made of a negative index (NI) metamaterial (MTM) focuses the diverging light waves with sub-wavelength resolution. However, to achieve tight 3-D focusing, one needs to realize a 3-D MTM with azimuthal and elevation focusing. In this work, a polarization-insensitive, wide-incident angle 3-D MTM showing an NI band of 0.34 THz (37%) centered at 0.92 THz is realized. A flat lens designed out of the proposed 3-D NI MTM shows sub-wavelength spot sizes of 0.48λ1 and 0.39λ2 for cylindrical electromagnetic (EM) waves emanating out of an electric dipole source, at 0.9 THz and 0.95 THz respectively. Also, the sub-wavelength focusing features of the NI flat slab are verified along non-symmetric planes by tilting the dipole source for different angles. It is also found that the finite flat slab configurations efficiently transfer EM beams for long conveyance lengths at NI frequencies. Thus, the realized flat slab configurations are useful for 3-D focusing requirements in optical trapping and imaging, and they are also useful for reducing the transmission losses associated with beam divergences.
2. Pendry, B., "Negative refraction makes a perfect lens," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 85, 3966, 2000.
3. Padilla, W. J., D. N. Basov, and D. R. Smith, "Negative refractive index metamaterials," Materials Today, Vol. 9, No. 7-8, 28-35, 2006.
4. Xu, T., A. Agrawal, M. Abashin, K. J. Chau, and H. J. Lezec, "All-angle negative refraction and active at lensing of ultraviolet light," Nature, Vol. 497, 470-474, 2013.
5. Yang, Q., J. Gu, D. Wang, X. Zhang, Z. Tian, C. Ouyang, R. Singh, J. Han, and W. Zhang, "Efficient at metasurface lens for terahertz imaging," Opt. Express, Vol. 22, 25931-25939, 2014.
6. Zhang, X. C., "Terahertz wave imaging: horizons and hurdles," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 47, No. 21, 3667-3677, 2002.
7. Withayachumnankul, W. and D. Abbott, "Metamaterials in the terahertz regime," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 1, No. 2, 99-118, 2009.
8. Asrafali, B., C. Venkateswaran, and N. Yogesh, "Spatially squeezed electromagnetic modes of a transformational optics based cavity resonator for targeted material heating," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 106, 205-214, 2021.
9. Zimdars, D., J. A. Valdmanis, J. S. White, G. Stuk, S. Williamson, W. P. Winfree, and E. I. Madaras, "Technology and applications of terahertz imaging non-destructive examination: Inspection of space shuttle sprayed on foam insulation," AIP Conf. Proc., Vol. 760, 570-577, 2005.
10. Hu, B. B. and M. C. Nuss, "Imaging with terahertz waves," Opt. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 16, 1716-1718, 1995.
11. Lei, Y., B. Liang, S. Zhuang, and G. Wang, "Subwavelength focusing by combining negative-refractive photonic crystal and silicon lens," Opt. Mater. Express, Vol. 9, 3962-3967, 2019.
12. Suzuki, T., M. Sekiya, T. Sato, and Y. Takebayashi, "Negative refractive index metamaterial with high transmission, low re ection, and low loss in the terahertz waveband," Optics Express, Vol. 26, No. 7, 8314-8324, 2018.
13. Bilal, R. M. H., M. A. Baqir, A. Iftikhar, M. M. Ali, A. A. Rahim, M. N. Akhtar, M. J. Mughal, and S. A. Naqvi, "A novel omega shaped microwave absorber with wideband negative refractive index for C-band applications," Optik, Vol. 242, 2021.
14. Askari, M., Z. Touhidi Nia, and M. V. Hosseini, "Modied shnet structure with a wide negative refractive index band and a high gure of merit at microwave frequencies," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 39, 1282-1288, 2022.
15. Chang, C.-L., W.-C. Wang, H.-R. Lin, F. J. Hsieh, Y.-B. Pun, and C.-H. Chan, "Tunable terahertz shnet metamaterial," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 102, 151903, 2013.
16. Islam, S. S., M. S. Khan, and M. R. I. Faruque, "Design and analysis of modied-split-H-shaped DNG metamaterial for microwave application," Mater. Res. Express, Vol. 6, 125808, 2019.
17. Yeh, T. T., T. Y. Huang, T. Tanaka, and T.-J. Yen, "Demonstration of a three-dimensional negative index medium operated at multiple-angle incidences by monolithic metallic hemispherical shells," Sci. Rep., Vol. 7, 45549, 2017.
18. Ding, J., S. An, B. Zheng, and H. L. Zhang, "Multiwavelength metasurfaces based on single- layer dual-wavelength meta-atoms: Toward complete phase and amplitude modulations at two wavelengths," Adv. Opt. Mater., Vol. 5, No. 10, 1700079, 2017.
19. Hakim, M. L., T. Alam, M. S. Soliman, N. M. Sahar, M. H. Baharuddin, S. H. A. Almalki, and M. T. Islam, "Polarization insensitive symmetrical structured Double Negative (DNG) metamaterial absorber for Ku-band sensing applications," Sci. Rep., Vol. 10, No. 12(1), 479, 2022.
20. Wegrowski, A., W.-C. Wang, C. Tsui, and P. Garu, "Negative refractive index modied shnet enhancement by wire shift," Mater. Res. Express, Vol. 9, 095801, 2022.
21. Marishwari, M., V. Subramanian, Z. Ouyang, and N. Yogesh, "3-D metamaterial based terahertz planoconcave lenses for linearly and circularly polarized waves," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 98, 21-37, 2023.
22. Xu, S., J.-B. Liu, H. Wang, C.-K. Su, and H.-B. Sun, "Three-dimensional metacrystals with a broadband isotropic diamagnetic response and an all-angle negative index of refraction," Opt. Lett., Vol. 44, 927-930, 2019.
23. Cheng, Y. Z., Y. Nie, and R. Z. Gong, "Broadband 3D isotropic negative-index metamaterial based on shnet structure," Eur. Phys. J. B, Vol. 85, 62, 2012.
24. Liu, Y., G. P. Wang, J. B. Pendry, and S. Zhang, "All-angle reflectionless negative refraction with ideal photonic Weyl metamaterials," Light: Sci. Appl., Vol. 11, 276, 2022.
25. Yang, Y., Y. Bi, L. Peng, B. Yang, S. Ma, H.-C. Chan, Y. Xiang, and S. Zhang, "Veselago lensing with Weyl metamaterials," Optica, Vol. 8, 249-254, 2021.
26. Zaremanesh, M. and M. Noori, "All-angle polarization-insensitive negative refraction in high- dielectric photonic crystal," Appl. Opt., Vol. 58, 5631-5636, 2019.
27. Zharov, A., V. Fierro, and A. Celzard, "All-dielectric bulk isotropic double-negative metamaterials," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 38, 159-166, 2021.
28. Engheta, N., "Ideas for potential applications of metamaterials with negative permittivity and permeability," Advances in Electromagnetics of Complex Media and Metamaterials. NATO Science Series, S. Zouhdi, A. Sihvola, and M. Arsalane (eds.), Vol. 89. Springer, Dordrecht, 2002.
29. Tamosiunaite, M., S. Tamosiunas, and M. Z. A. Valusis, "Atmospheric attenuation of the terahertz wireless networks," Broadband Communications Networks | Recent Advances and Lessons from Practice, 2017.
30. Yogesh, N. and V. Subramanian, "Analysis of self-collimation based cavity resonator formed by photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 12, 115-130, 2010.
31. Zheng, Y., Q. Wang, M. Lin, and Z. Ouyang, "Enhancement of self-collimation effect in photonic crystal membranes using hyperbolic metamaterials," Nanomaterials (Basel), Vol. 12, No. 3, 555, 2022.
32. Lee, D. H. and W. S. Park, "Extraction of effective permittivity and permeability of periodic metamaterial cells," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 1824-1830, 2009.
33. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in Metallic Mesostructures," J. Phys. Condens. Lett., Vol. 10, 4785-4809, 1998.
34. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.
35. Aydin, K., I. Bulu, and E. Ozbay, "Focusing of electromagnetic waves by a left-handed metamaterial at lens," Opt. Express, Vol. 13, 8753-8759, 2005.
36. Ramakrishna, S. A. and T. M. Grzegorczyk, Physics and Applications of Negative Refractive Index Materials, 1st Edition, CRC Press, 2008.
37. Banerjee, P. P. and G. Nehmetallah, "Linear and nonlinear propagation in negative index materials," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 23, 2348-2355, 2006.
38. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, Metamaterials ---| Physics and Engineering Explorations, IEEE Press, 2006.
39. Ziolkowski, R., "Pulsed and CW Gaussian beam interactions with double negative metamaterial slabs," Opt. Express, Vol. 11, No. 7, 662-681, Apr. 7, 2003.
40. Maruo, S. and J. Fourkas, "Recent progress in multiphoton microfabrication," Laser & Photon. Rev., Vol. 2, 100-111, 2008.
41. Takano, K., T. Kawabata, C.-F. Hsieh, K. Akiyama, F. Miyamaru, Y. Abe, Y. Tokuda, R.-P. Pan, C.-L. Pan, and M. Hangyo, "Fabrication of terahertz planar metamaterials using a super-ne ink-jet printer," Appl. Phys. Express, Vol. 3, 016701, 2010.
42. Rill, M. S., C. Plet, M. Thiel, I. Staude, G. von Freymann, S. Linden, and M. Wegener, "Photonic metamaterials by direct laser writing and silver chemical vapour deposition," Nature Materials, Vol. 7, 543-546, 2008.
43. Hernandez, D. S. and J. B. Shear, "Mask-directed micro-3D printing," Micro and Nano Technologies, Three-Dimensional Microfabrication Using Two-Photon Polymerization (Second Edition), William Andrew Publishing, 2020.
44. Mao, Y., Z. Chen, J. Zhu, Y. Pan, W. Wu, and J. Xu, "Stereo metamaterial with three dimensional meta-atoms fabricated by programmable stress induced deformation for optical modulation," IEEE 30th International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS), 285-288, 2017.
45. Wang, Q., B. Gao, M. Raglione, H. Wang, B. Li, F. Toor, M. A. Arnold, and H. Ding, "Design, fabrication, and modulation of THz bandpass metamaterials," Laser & Photonics Reviews, Vol. 13, 1900071, 2019.
46. Reinbold, J., T. Frenzel, A. Munchinger, and M. Wegener, "The rise of (chiral) 3D mechanical metamaterials," Materials (Basel), Vol. 12, No. 21, 3527, 2019.
47. Munchinger, A., L.-Y. Hsu, F. Furniβ, E. Blasco, and M. Wegener, "3D optomechanical metamaterials," Materials Today, Vol. 59, 9-17, 2022.
48. Huang, T.-Y., C.-W. Tseng, T.-T. Yeh, T.-T. Yeh, C.-W. Luo, T. Akalin, and T.-J. Yen, "Experimental realization of ultrathin, double-sided metamaterial perfect absorber at terahertz gap through stochastic design process," Sci. Rep., Vol. 5, 18605, 2015.
49. Okatani, T., Y. Sunada, K. Hane, and Y. Kanamori, "Terahertz 3D bulk metamaterials with randomly dispersed split-ring resonators," Nanophotonics, Vol. 11, No. 9, 2065-2074, 2022.