The article presents a multiband symmetrically placed two elements, inverted-F multiple inputs multiple outputs (MIMO) antenna for wireless LAN (WLAN), Industrial, Society and Medical (ISM) band, S-/C-band applications. Decoupling (S12 < -15 dB) between the two antenna elements of MIMO antenna is improved by introducing metallic vias at the top ends of the patch. The MIMO antenna has been fabricated and measured on a piece of low-cost, low-profile, FR-4 substrate. A combination of parasitic loading of 4-units (quadruplet) of square-split ring resonators (SRRs) and complementary split ring resonator (CSRR) cells have been used to achieve quad-bands for lower than -10 dB total active reflection coefficients and additionally to improve isolation between antenna elements. The paper also presents the tabularized and graphical investigations of the analyzed and measured resultant MIMO parameters like; envelope correlation coefficient (ECC), diversity gain (DG), total active reflection coefficients (TARC), MIMO-VSWR (voltage standing wave ratio), channel capacity loss (CCL), etc. and are found approximately close to each other with small acceptable errors. The other important parameters (reflection coefficients, radiation pattern, E-plane and H-plane polar plots, electric field vector (E) distribution, and current density vector (J) distribution) of the proposed antenna were also demonstrated and measured using a vector network analyzer (Agilent N5247A VNA) and 18 GHz Anechoic chamber in the microwave research laboratory. The MIMO (1×2) antenna is best suitable for Bluetooth/WLAN/Wi-Fi (2.45-2.57 GHz) and ISM band, FIXED, MOBILE, RADIO Location, Amateur & Amateur-satellite service (2.45 GHz) within impedance bandwidth (S11 < -10 dB) from 2.45-2.57 GHz lower band, and n46 (5.40-5.49 GHz) upper band.
2. Varshney, A., et al., "Dodecagon-shaped frequency reconfigurable antenna practically loaded with 3- delta structures for ISM band and wireless applications," IETE Journal of Research, 1-13, Feb. 17, 2022.
3. Hussain, R. and M. S. Sharawi, "A low profile compact reconfigurable MIMO antenna for cognitive radio applications," 9th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, Lisbon, Portugal, 2015.
4. Shindhja, N. M. M. and A. Varshney, "Hybrid β-indexing fractal slotted multiband antenna for electronics wireless sensor applications," Journal of Electronics, Electromedical Engineering, and Medical Informatics, Vol. 5, No. 2, 59-68, Apr. 2023.
5. Evangelin, P. S., T. M. Neebha, A. D. Andrushia, J. Roopa Jeyasingh, A. Varshney, and X. Anitha Mary, "Design and analysis of meander slitted monopole antenna for wireless application," 2022 6th International Conference on Devices, Circuits, and Systems (ICDCS), 480-483, Coimbatore, India, 2022.
6. Varshney, A., V. Sharma, T. M. Neebha, and R. Kumar, "A compact low-cost impedance transformer-fed wideband monopole antenna for Wi-MAX N78-band and wireless applications," Printed Antennas, Vol. 1, 315-328, CRC Press, 2022.
7. Hadj Sadok, M., Y. Lamhene, and S. Berkani, "High-gain low-profile EBG resonator antenna based on quasi-icosahedral shapes," J. Electron. Mater., Vol. 52, 140-152, 2023.
8. Tahseen, H. U., L. Yang, and X. Zhou, "Design of FSS-antenna-radome system for airborneand ground applications," IET Commun., Vol. 15, 1691-1699, 2021.
9. Hannan, S., M. T. Islam, M. S. Soliman, M. R. Faruque, N. Misran, and M. S. Islam, "A co-polarization-insensitive metamaterial absorber for 5G n78 mobile devices at 3.5 GHz to reduce the specific absorption rate," Scientific Reports, Vol. 12, No. 1, 1-13, 2022.
10. Torabi, Y. and R. Omidi, "Novel metamaterial compact planar MIMO antenna systems with improved isolation for WLAN application," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 102, 399-410, 2018.
11. Deng, J. Y., J. Y. Li, L. Zhao, and L. X. Guo, "A dual-band inverted-F MIMO antenna with enhanced isolation for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2270-2273, 2017.
12. Li, Q., et al., "Mutual coupling reduction between patch antennas using meander line," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2018, 1-7, Article ID 2586382, Hindawi, 2018.
13. Nadeem, I. and D.-Y. Choi, "Study on mutual coupling reduction technique for MIMO antennas," IEEE Access, Vol. 2018, No. 2885558, 1-25, 2018.
14. Zhao, L. and K.-L. Wu, "A dual-band coupled resonator decoupling network for two coupled antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 7, 2843-2850, Jul. 2015.
15. Mashagba, H. A., et al., "A hybrid mutual coupling reduction technique in a dual-band MIMO textile antenna for WBAN and 5G applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, No. 12, 150768-150780, Oct. 2021.
16. Guo, J.-Y., et al., "Mutual coupling reduction of multiple antenna systems," Frontiers of Information Technology & Electronic Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 3, 366-376, 2020.
17. Al-Hasan, M., I. B. Mabrouk, E. R. F. Almajali, M. Nedil, and T. A. Denidni, "Hybrid isolator for mutual-coupling reduction in MMW MIMO antenna systems," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 58466-58474, 2019.
18. Lee, W.-W. and B. Jang, "2 x 2 MIMO antenna system with different antenna types for mobile terminals," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1337-1340, Jun. 2016.
19. Iqbal, A., O. A. Saraereh, A. W. Ahmad, and S. Bashir, "Mutual coupling reduction using F-shaped stubs in UWB-MIMO antenna," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 2755-2759, 2018.
20. Zhang, Q.-L., Y.-T. Jin, J.-Q. Feng, X. Lv, and L.-M. Si, "Mutual coupling reduction of microstrip antenna array using metamaterial absorber," IEEE Xplore, 1-3, 2015.
21. Alibakhshikenari, M., et al., "Mutual coupling reduction using metamaterial supersubstrate for high performance & densely packed planar phased arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 5, 1653-1660, May 2016.
22. Saxena, G., P. Jain, and Y. K. Awasthi, "High diversity gain MIMO-antenna for UWB application with WLAN notch band characteristic including human interface devices," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 112, No. 1, 105-121, 2019.
23. Yadav, D., M. P. Abegaonkar, S. K. Koul, V. N. Tiwari, and D. Bhatnagar, "Two element band-notched UWB MIMO antenna with high and uniform isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 63, 119-129, 2018.
24. Singh, H. S., Investigations of MIMO Antenna for Smart Mobile Handsets and Their User Proximity, 23-32, Intech Open, 2019.