An efficient method for designing narrow beams having minimum peak side lobe level (PSLL) and maintaining power efficiency (reducing active elements) for 5G/6G base stations with large antenna arrays is proposed. To ensure high efficiency in a multi-dimensional complex nonlinear optimization problem with several constraints thinning of antenna of antenna arrays is considered. For performing exhaustive search on the large number of feasible solutions a novel algorithm named discrete cat swarm optimization (DCSO) is usedand is a binary adaptation of real-valued cat swarm optimization (CSO). To testify the efficiency of DCSO a set of standard benchmarked multimodal functions are used. The proposed algorithmsexhibit heuristic nature, so the stability of the proposed method has been authenticated by using statistical test. Later the algorithm is applied to the optimization of a large planar antenna array (PAA) of size 10×20 (200 elements) to suppress the PSLL. Furthermore, the results of the synthesis are compared with literature marking low PSLL and convergence speed as pointers. The comparative results delineate the superiority of the DCSO over the existing discrete versioned traditional algorithms with respect to solution accuracy and speed of convergence. DCSO introducesa higher degree of flexibility to the field of binary-valued thinned antenna array synthesis problems.
2. Press, W. H., S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, and B. P. Flannery, Numerical Recipes, 1st Ed., 1986.
3. Smith, S. K., J. C. Brggains, K. L. Melde, and F. Ares, "Analytical and optimization methods for linear arrays with high efficiency and low sidelobes," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 547-550, 2004.
4. Westcott, B. S. and A. A. Zaporozhets, "Beam shaping techniques based on analytical gradient iteration procedures," IEE Colloquium on Novel Techniques for Antenna Beam Control, No. 3, 5, 1995.
5. Peters, T. J., "A conjugate gradient-based algorithm to minimize the sidelobe level of planar arrays with element failures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 39, No. 10, 1497-1504, 1991.
6. Sarkar, T. K., "On the application of the generalized biconjugate gradient method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 1, No. 3, 223-242, 1987.
7. Haupt, R. L., "Thinned arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 42, No. 7, 993-999, 1994.
8. Chen, K., X. Yun, Z. He, and C. Han, "Synthesis of sparse planar arrays using modified real genetic algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 4, 1067-1073, 2007.
9. Zhang, L., Y. C. Jiao, B. Chen, and H. Li, "Orthogonal genetic algorithm for planar thinned array designs," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2012, 1-7, 2012.
10. Oliveri, G. and A. Massa, "Genetic algorithm (GA)-enhanced almost difference set (ADS)-based approach for array thinning," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 3, 305-315, 2011.
11. Murino, V., A. Trucco, and C. S. Regazzoni, "Synthesis of unequally spaced arrays by simulated annealing," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 44, No. 1, 119-123, 1996.
12. Meijer, C. A., "Simulated annealing in the design of thinned arrays having low sidelobe levels," Proc. South African Symp. Commun. Signal Process., COMSIG, 361-366, 1998.
13. Trucco, A., "Thinning and weighting of large planar arrays by simulated annealing," IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control, Vol. 46, No. 2, 347-355, 1999.
14. Donelli, M., A. Martini, and A. Massa, "A hybrid approach based on PSO and Hadamard difference sets for the synthesis of square thinned arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 8, 2491-2495, 2009.
15. Wang, W.-B., Q. Feng, and D. Liu, "Synthesis of thinned linear and planar antenna arrays using binary PSO algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 371-387, 2012.
16. Quevedo-Teruel, O. and E. Rajo-Iglesias, "Ant colony optimization in thinned array synthesis with minimum sidelobe level," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, No. 2, 349-352, 2006.
17. Zhang, L., Y. C. Jiao, Z. B. Weng, and F. S. Zhang, "Design of planar thinned arrays using a Boolean differential evolution algorithm," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 12, 2172-2178, 2010.
18. Rocca, P., G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "Differential evolution as applied to electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 38-49, 2011.
19. Liu, C. and H. Wu, "Synthesis of thinned array with side lobe levels reduction using improved binary invasive weed optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 37, 21-30, 2014.
20. Wu, H., C. Liu, and X. Xie, "Thinning of concentric circular antenna arrays using improved binary invasive weed optimization algorithm," Hindawi Publ. Corp. Math. Probl. Eng., Vol. 2015, 1-8, 2015.
21. Roy, G. G., S. Das, P. Chakraborty, and P. N. Suganthan, "Design of non-uniform circular antenna arrays using a modified invasive weed optimization algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 1, 110-118, 2011.
22. Singh, U. and R. Salgotra, "Synthesis of linear antenna array using flower pollination algorithm," Neural Comput. Appl., Vol. 29, No. 2, 1-11, 2018.
23. Dahi, Z. A. E. M., C. Mezioud, and A. Draa, "On the efficiency of the binary flower pollination algorithm: Application on the antenna positioning problem," Appl. Soft Comput. J., Vol. 47, 395-414, 2016.
24. Chatterjee, A., G. K. Mahanti, and G. Ghatak, "Synthesis of satellite footprint patterns from rectangular planar array antenna by using swarm-based optimization algorithms," Int. J. Satell. Commun. Netw., Vol. 32, 25-47, 2014.
25. Li, X. and K. M. Luk, "The grey Wolf optimizer and its applications in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 68, No. 3, 2186-2197, 2020.
26. Singh, U. and M. Rattan, "Design of linear and circular antenna arrays using Cuckoo optimization algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 46, 1-11, 2013.
27. Singh, U., R. Salgotra, and M. Rattan, "A novel binary spider monkey optimization algorithm for thinning of concentric circular antenna arrays," IETE J. Res., Vol. 62, No. 6, 1-10, 2016.
28. Darvish, A. and A. Ebrahimzadeh, "Improved fruit-fly optimization algorithm and its applications in antenna arrays synthesis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 4, 1-11, 2018.
29. Ravipudi, J. L. and M. Neebha, "Synthesis of linear antenna arrays using Jaya, self-adaptive Jaya and chaotic Jaya algorithms," AEU --- Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 18, 1-27, 2018.
30. Chu, S.-C., P. Tsai, and J.-S. Pan, Cat Swarm Optimization, Vol. 4099, 854-858, LANI, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2006.
31. Pappula, L. and D. Ghosh, "Linear antenna array synthesis using cat swarm optimization," AEU --- Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 68, No. 6, 540-549, 2014.
32. Pappula, L. and D. Ghosh, "Synthesis of linear aperiodic array using Cauchy mutated cat swarm optimization," AEU --- Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 72, 52-64, 2017.
33. Haupt, R. L., J. J. Menozzi, and C. J. McCormack, "Thinned arrays using genetic algorithms," AP-S Int. Symp. (IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc., Vol. 2, 712-715, 1993.
34. Kennedy, J. and R. C. Eberhart, "Discrete binary version of the particle swarm algorithm," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Syst. Man Cybern., Vol. 5, 4104-4108, 1997.
35. Sharafi, Y., M. A. Khanesar, and M. Teshnehlab, "Discrete binary cat swarm optimization algorithm," 2013 3rd IEEE Int. Conf. Comput. Control Commun., IC4 2013, 1-6, 2013.
36. Marcano, D. and F. Duran, "Synthesis of antenna arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 42, No. 3, 12-20, 2000.
37. Pappula, L. and D. Ghosh, "Synthesis of thinned planar antenna array using multiobjective normal mutated binary cat swarm optimization," Applied Computational Intelligence & Soft Computing, Vol. 2016, 2016.