This article presents a miniaturized octa-port high gain multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) antenna loaded with an electromagnetic band gap (EBG) layer for the use in 5G wireless communication applications. Each resonator of the presented antenna is comprised of a rectangular-like patch with truncated side edges and a partial ground plane. A layer of EBG unit cells is introduced underneath the antenna elements to increase the gain and restrain the surface wave effects, obtaining improved isolation amongst the resonating elements. The -10 dB impedance bandwidth of the prospective antenna with EBG is 12 GHz (21-33 GHz), and it provides isolation of >28 dB. The peak gain of the EBG-backed antenna is 17 dB. The presented mm-wave MIMO antenna offer decent diversity proficiency metrics like envelope correlation coefficient (<0.36), diversity gain (~10 dB), and total active reflection coefficient (-24.75 dB). The overall size of the octa-port MIMO antenna is 27.2 mm × 27.2 mm. The presented MIMO antenna could be used for n257/n258/n261 mm-wave bands.
2. Sharma, D., B. K. Kanaujia, and S. Kumar, "Compact multi-standard planar MIMO antenna for IoT/WLAN/sub-6 GHz/X-band applications," Wireless Networks, Vol. 27, 2671-2689, 2021.
3. Zaidi, A. M., M. T. Beg, B. K. Kanaujia, S. Kumar, and K. Srivastava, "A dual-band branch line coupler for LTE 0.7 GHz and LTE 2.6 GHz frequencies," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 9, e21838, 2019.
4. Khandelwal, M. K., S. Kumar, and B. K. Kanaujia, "Design, modeling and analysis of dualfeed defected ground microstrip patch antenna with wide axial ratio bandwidth," Journal of Computational Electronics, Vol. 17, No. 3, 1019-1028, 2018.
5. Lee, G. H., S. Kumar, H. C. Choi, and K. W. Kim, "Wideband high-gain double-sided dielectric lens integrated with a dual-bowtie antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 20, No. 3, 293-297, 2021.
6. Pi, Z. and F. Khan, "An introduction to millimeter-wave mobile broadband systems," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 6, 101-107, Jun. 6, 2011.
7. Qualcomm Technologies, (Dec. 2017), Spectrum for 4G and 5G, Accessed: Jan. 5, 2019, [Online], Available: https://www.qualcomm.com/news/media-center.
8. European 5G Observatory, National 5G Spectrum Assignment, Accessed: May 10, 2020, [Online], Available: https://5gobservatory.eu/.
9. Rappaport, T. S., S. Sun, R. Mayzus, H. Zhao, Y. Azar, K. Wang, G. N. Wong, J. K. Schulz, M. Samimi, and F. Gutierrez, "Millimeter wave mobile communications for 5G cellular: It will work!," IEEE Access, Vol. 1, 335-349, May 10, 2013.
10. Busari, S. A., S. Mumtaz, S. Al-Rubaye, and J. Rodriguez, "5G millimeter-wave mobile broadband: Performance and challenges," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 6, 137-143, Jun. 18, 2018.
11. Rangan, S., T. S. Rappaport, and E. Erkip, "Millimeter-wave cellular wireless networks: Potentials and challenges," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 102, No. 3, 366-385, Feb. 5, 2014.
12. Tiwari, R. N., P. Singh, B. K. Kanaujia, S. Kumar, and S. K. Gupta, "A low profile dual band MIMO antenna for LTE/Bluetooth/Wi-Fi/WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 34, No. 9, 1239-1253, 2020.
13. Kumar, S., G. H. Lee, D. H. Kim, H. C. Choi, and K. W. Kim, "Dual circularly polarized planar four-port MIMO antenna with wide axial-ratio bandwidth," Sensors, Vol. 20, No. 19, 5610, 2020.
14. Babu, N. S., A. Q. Ansari, B. K. Kanaujia, G. Singh, and S. Kumar, "Compact two-port ultrawideband multiple-input-multiple-output antenna with an electromagnetic band gap structure," Materials Today: Proceedings, Mar. 27, 2023.
15. Srivastava, K., S. Kumar, B. K. Kanaujia, S. Dwari, H. C. Choi, and K. W. Kim, "Compact eightport MIMO/diversity antenna with band rejection characteristics," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 5, e22170, 2020.
16. Khalid, M., S. Iffat Naqvi, N. Hussain, M. Rahman, S. S. Mirjavadi, M. J. Khan, and Y. Amin, "4-Port MIMO antenna with defected ground structure for 5G millimeter wave applications," Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 1, 71, Jan. 1, 2020.
17. Gupta, S., Z. Briqech, A. R. Sebak, and T. A. Denidni, "Mutual-coupling reduction using metasurface corrugations for 28 GHz MIMO applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2763-2766, Aug. 25, 2017.
18. Zhang, Y., J. Y. Deng, M. J. Li, D. Sun, and L. X. Guo, "A MIMO dielectric resonator antenna with improved isolation for 5G mm-wave applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 4, 747-751, Feb. 27, 2019.
19. Tariq, S., S. I. Naqvi, N. Hussain, and Y. Amin, "A metasurface-based MIMO antenna for 5G millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 51805-51817, Mar. 29, 2021.
20. Elabd, R. H., H. H. Abdullah, and M. Abdelazim, "Compact highly directive MIMO vivaldi antenna for 5G millimeter-wave base station," Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves , Vol. 42, 173-194, Feb. 2021.
21. Murthy, N., "Improved isolation metamaterial inspiredmm-Wave MIMO dielectric resonator antenna for 5G application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 100, 247-261, 2020.
22. Akbari, M., H. A. Ghalyon, M. Farahani, A. R. Sebak, and T. A. Denidni, "Spatially decoupling of CP antennas based on FSS for 30-GHz MIMO systems," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 6527-6537, Apr. 18, 2017.
23. Farahani, M., J. Pourahmadazar, M. Akbari, M. Nedil, A. R. Sebak, and T. A. Denidni, "Mutual coupling reduction in millimeter-wave MIMO antenna array using a metamaterial polarizationrotator wall," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2324-2327, Jun. 20, 2017.
24. Iqbal, A., A. Basir, A. Smida, N. K. Mallat, I. Elfergani, J. Rodriguez, and S. Kim, "Electromagnetic bandgap backed millimeter-wave MIMO antenna for wearable applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 111135-111144, Aug. 8, 2019.
25. Hussain, N., M. J. Jeong, A. Abbas, and N. Kim, "Metasurface-based single-layer wideband circularly polarized MIMO antenna for 5G millimeter-wave systems," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 130293-130304, Jul. 15, 2020.
26. Sharawi, M. S., S. K. Podilchak, M. T. Hussain, and Y. M. Antar, "Dielectric resonator based MIMO antenna system enabling millimetre-wave mobile devices," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 2, 287-293, Jan. 2017.
27. Hussain, N., M. J. Jeong, J. Park, and N. A. Kim, "A broadband circularly polarized fabry-perot resonant antenna using a single-layered PRS for 5G MIMO applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 42897-42907, Apr. 2, 2019.
28. Abo El-Hassan, M., K. F. Hussein, and K. H. Awadalla, "Microstrip antenna with L-shaped slots for circularly polarised satellite applications," The Journal of Engineering, Vol. 2019, No. 12, 8428-8431, Dec. 2019.
29. Qian, Y., R. Coccioli, D. Sievenpiper, V. Radisic, E. Yablonovitch, and T. Itoh, "A microstrip patch antenna using novel photonic band-gap structures," Microwave Journal, Vol. 42, No. 1, 66-72, Jan. 1, 1999.
30. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, Oct. 14, 2003.
31. Kumar, A., J. Mohan, and H. Gupta, "Surface wave suppression of microstrip antenna using different EBG designs," 2015 International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication (ICSC) , 355-359, IEEE, Mar. 16, 2015.
32. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, Nov. 1999.
33. Yang, F. and Y. R. Sami, "The effects of an electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structure on two element microstrip patch antenna array," IEEE Transactions Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, Oct. 2003.
34. Abdulhameed, M. K., M. M. Isa, Z. Zakaria, M. K. Mohsin, and M. L. Attiah, "Mushroom-like EBG to improve patch antenna performance for C-band satellite application," International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 8, No. 5, 3875, Oct. 1, 2018.
35. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Reflection phase characterizations of the EBG ground plane for low profile wire antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2691-2703, Oct. 14, 2003.
36. Al-Dulaimi, Z., T. A. Elwi, and D. C. Atilla, "Design of a meander line monopole antenna array based hilbert-shaped reject band structure for MIMO applications," IETE Journal of Research, Vol. 68, No. 4, 2353-2362, Jul. 4, 2022.
37. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, May 1, 2003.
38. Sharawi, M. S., "Printed multi-band MIMO antenna systems and their performance metrics [wireless corner]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 55, No. 5, 218-232, Oct. 2013.
39. Chae, S. H., S. K. Oh, and S. O. Park, "Analysis of mutual coupling, correlations, and TARC in WiBro MIMO array antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 122-125, Apr. 10, 2007.
40. De Cos Gomez, M. E., H. Fernandez Alvarez, and F. Las-Heras Andres, "PP-based 24 GHz wearable antenna," Wireless Networks, 1-6, Oct. 16, 2023.