Ship's movement on the sea surface will produce wake extending for several kilometers. In order to study the electromagnetic scattering characteristics of the composite scene of sea surface, ship and wake, this paper combines geometric optics with physical optics (GO-PO), Kirchhoff approximation (KA) and facet scattering field model of sea surface to calculate the electromagnetic scattering characteristics of this composite scene. Firstly, the geometric model of the composite scene of sea surface and Kelvin wake is established by using Elfouhaily omnidirectional spectrum and classical ship wave generation theory. Secondly, the generated geometric overlay model of the wake and the sea surface is combined with the ship to generate a composite scene model of the sea surface, ship, and wake. Finally, the scattering echoes of sea surface and wake are calculated by KA and facet scattering field model of sea surface, and the scattering echoes of ship is calculated by GO-PO. On this basis, the electromagnetic characteristics of the composite scene of sea surface, ship and wake under different conditions are discussed. The research conclusion has certain reference value for the detection of ship and wake in complex sea conditions.
2. Bai, L., C. Yao, Z. Ye, D. Xue, X. Lin, and M. Hui, "A novel anchor-free detector using global context-guide feature balance pyramid and united attention for SAR ship detection," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 20, 1-5, 2023.
3. Qian, G., Y. Wang, and M. Jian, "Estimation of doppler parameters based on PSO for BFSAR ship target imaging," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 20, 1-5, 2023.
4. Wang, Z., Y. Li, Y. Li, J. Zhao, Y. Huang, and S. Shao, "Research on compound scattering modeling and imaging methods of sea surface ship target for GEO-UAV BiSAR," 2022 3rd China International SAR Symposium (CISS), 1-5, Shanghai, China, November 2-4, 2022.
5. Zhang, Y., M. Xing, J. Zhang, G.-C. Sun, and D. Xu, "Robust multi-ship tracker in SAR imagery by fusing feature matching and modified KCF," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 20, 1-5, 2023.
6. Li, N., X. Pan, L. Yang, Z. Huang, Z. Wu, and X. Zhang, "Ship target detection method based on local saliency enhancement," 2022 IEEE 5th International Conference on Electronic Information and Communication Technology (ICEICT), 619-623, Hefei, China, August 21-23, 2022.
7. Wu, P., S. J. Su, X. Z. Tong, R. Guo, B. Sun, and J. J. Zhang, "SARFB: Strengthened asymmetric receptive field block for accurate infrared ship detection," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 23, 5028-5044, 2023.
8. Huang, Y., Z. Zhao, Z. Nie, and Q.-H. Liu, "Dynamic volume equivalent SBR method for electromagnetic scattering of targets moving on the sea," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 20, 3509-3519, 2023.
9. Shi, F., J. Li, W. Jiang, M. Zhang, and Z. Li, "Research on scattering characteristics of ship targets on two-dimensional dynamic sea surface," 2021 Cross Strait Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference (CSRSWTC), 180-182, Shenzhen, China, October 11-13, 2021.
10. Luo, G., Z. H. Xiong, M. B. Zhou, Q. X. Wan, and Z. Ren, "A study of electromagnetic scattering from Kelvin ship wake on the finite depth sea surface," 2022 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 1-3, Harbin, China, August 12-15, 2022.
11. Sun, X. F., M. Y. Cai J. K. Wang, and C. L. Liu, "Numerical simulation of the Kelvin wake patterns," Appl. Sci., Vol. 12, 6265, 2022.
12. Wang, H., D. Nie, Y. Zuo, L. Tang, and M. Zhang, "Nonlinear ship wake detection in SAR images based on electromagnetic scattering model and YOLOv5," Remote Sens., Vol. 14, 5788, 2022.
13. Song, M. Z., R. Guo, X. R. Ma, Y. T. Chen, and J. S. Wang, "Polarization reflection distribution characteristics of wakes on the sea surface," Appl. Opt., Vol. 61, 7748-7756, 2022.
14. Li, J., L. Wang, M. Zhang, Y. -C. Jiao, and G. Liu, "Ship velocity automatic estimation method via two-dimensional spectrum pattern of Kelvin wakes in SAR images," IEEE J. Sel. Top Appl. Earth Obs. Remote Sens., Vol. 14, 4779-4786, 2021.
15. Bi, N., J. Qin, and T. Jiang, "Partition detection and location of a Kelvin wake on a 2-D rough sea surface by feature selective validation," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 16345-16352, 2018.
16. Deng, Y., M. Zhang, and L. Wang, "SAR image simulation analysis of sea surface containing underwater object wake," 2019 6th Asia-Pacific Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar (APSAR), 1-4, Xiamen, China, November 26-29, 2019.
17. Wei, Y., Z. Wu, H. Li, J. Wu, and T. Qu, "Application of periodic structure scattering in Kelvin ship wakes detection," Sustain. Cities Soc., Vol. 47, Art. No. 101463, May 2019.
18. Elfouhaily, T., B. Chapron, K. Katsaros, and D. Vandemark, "A unified directional spectrum for long and short wind-driven waves," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 102, 15781-15796, 1997.
19. Wang, L., L. Guo, and X. Meng, "Research on electromagnetic scattering characteristics of Kelvin wake of ship based on MPI," 2018 12th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation and EM Theory (ISAPE), 1-4, Hangzhou, China, December 3-6, 2018.
20. Zhang, M., H. Chen, and H. Yin, "Facet-based investigation on EM scattering from electrically large sea surface with two-scale profiles: Theoretical model," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Electron., Vol. 49, 1967-1975, 2011.
21. Zhao, Y., X. Yuan, M. Zhang, and H. Chen, "Radar scattering from the composite ship-ocean scene: Facet-based asymptotical model and specular reflection weighted model," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, 4810-4815, 2014.
22. Xu, F. and Y. Jin, "Bidirectional analytic ray tracing for fast computation of composite scattering from electric-large target over a randomly rough surface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 1495-1505, 2009.
23. Zhang, M., Y. Zhao, J. X. Li, and P.-B. Wei, "Reliable approach for composite scattering calculation from ship over a sea surface based on FBAM and GO-PO models," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, 775-784, 2017.
24. Wei, P. B., M. Zhang, W. Niu, and W. Q. Jiang, "GPU-based combination of GO and PO for electromagnetic scattering of satellite," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 5278-5285, 2012.
25. Gordon, W., "Far-field approximations to the Kirchhoff-Helmholtz representations of scattered fields," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 23, 590-592, 1975.