The article presents a low-profile quad-port dual-band printed antenna designed for 5G applications. The antenna is printed on a 58.6 mm x 58.6 mm FR4 substrate with a thickness of 0.8 mm. It operates in the 5G spectrum between 3.3 and 3.8 GHz, specifically in the n77 band, with a 10 dB bandwidth impedance. This flexible operating range allows the antenna to cover future frequency bands essential for 5G applications. The design of the antenna focuses on minimizing the distance between antenna components, which results in a significant improvement in isolation performance, greater than 14 dB. This improved isolation allows for a high radiation efficacy of 85% and an overall gain of approximately 4.8 dBi over the operating range. To evaluate the Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) performance of the proposed antenna, the researchers developed additional MIMO metrics, including channel capacity, the Envelope Correlation Coefficient (ECC), and Channel Capacity Loss (CCL). These metrics help assess the antenna's ability to handle multiple signals and maintain good performance in MIMO systems. This study shows that the proposed antenna is suitable for a wide range of applications operating over multiple frequency bands. This makes it a promising candidate for 5G applications, as it covers the necessary frequency range and offers good MIMO performance. The antenna's low profile and compact size also make it suitable for various compact and portable 5G devices.
2. Kim, G. and S. Kim, "Design and analysis of dual polarized broadband microstrip patch antenna for 5G mmWave antenna module on FR4 substrate," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 64306-64316, Apr. 26, 2021.
3. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, London, U.K., 2003.
4. Haykin, S., "Cognitive radio: Brain-empowered wireless communications," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 23, No. 2, 201-220, Feb. 7, 2005.
5. Tawk, Y., J. Costantine, and C. Christodoulou, Antenna Design for Cognitive Radio, Artech House, Jun. 30, 2016.
6. De Flaviis, F., L. Jofre, J. Romeu, and A. Grau, Multiantenna Systems for MIMO Communications, Springer Nature, May 31, 2022.
7. Varzakas, P., "Estimation of radio capacity of a spread spectrum cognitive radio Rayleigh fading system," Proceedings of the 17th Panhellenic Conference on Informatics, 63-66, Sep. 19, 2013.
8. Bakulin, M. G., V. B. Kreindelin, and D. Y. Pankratov, "Analysis of the capacity of MIMO channel in fading conditions," 2018 Systems of Signal Synchronization, Generating and Processing in Telecommunications (SYNCHROINFO), 1-6, IEEE, Jul. 4, 2018.
9. Chitra, M. P., S. Divya, M. Premkumar, V. Tamilselvi, and N. Karthika, "MIMO cognitive radio capacity in at fading channel," 2017 Third International Conference on Science Technology Engineering & Management (ICONSTEM), 915-919, IEEE, Mar. 23, 2017.
10. Cheng, B. and Z. Du, "Dual polarization MIMO antenna for 5G mobile phone applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 7, 4160-4165, Dec. 21, 2020.
11. Chen, Y. S. and C. P. Chang, "Design of a four-element multiple-input-multiple-output antenna for compact long-term evolution small-cell base stations," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 4, 385-392, Mar. 2016.
12. Chen, W. S. and K. H. Lai, "Compact design of MIMO antennas for LTE 700 application," 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 1148-1149, IEEE, Jul. 19, 2015.
13. Singh, H. S., G. K. Pandey, P. K. Bharti, and M. K. Meshram, "Compact printed diversity antenna for LTE700/GSM1700/1800/UMTS/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/LTE2300/2500 applications for slim mobile handsets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 56, 83-91, 2015.
14. Naser, A. A., K. Sayidmarie, and J. S. Aziz, "Compact high isolation meandered-line PIFA antenna for LTE (band-class-13) handset applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 67, 153-164, 2016.
15. Jan, M. A., D. N. Aloi, and M. S. Sharawi, "A 2 x 1 compact dual band MIMO antenna system for wireless handheld terminals," 2012 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, 23-26, IEEE, Jan. 15, 2012.
16. Ikram, M., R. Hussain, A. Ghalib, and M. S. Sharawi, "Compact 4-element MIMO antenna with isolation enhancement for 4G LTE terminals," 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 535-536, IEEE, Jun. 26, 2016.
17. Ikram, M. and M. S. Sharawi, "Compact 10-element monopole based MIMO antenna system for 4G mobile phones," 2016 16th Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), 1-2, IEEE, Nov. 14, 2016.
18. Shoaib, S., I. Shoaib, N. Shoaib, X. Chen, and C. Parini, "Compact and printed MIMO antennas for 2G/3G and 4G --- LTE mobile tablets," 2015 IEEE-APS Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC), 674-677, IEEE, Sep. 7, 2015.
19. Li, S., L. D. Xu, and S. Zhao, "The internet of things: A survey," Information Systems Frontiers, Vol. 17, 243-259, Apr. 2015.
20. Zaman, M. R., R. Azim, N. Misran, M. F. Asillam, and T. Islam, "Development of a semielliptical partial ground plane antenna for RFID and GSM-900," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, Article ID 693412, Jan. 1, 2014.
21. Bukhari, B., C. Singh, K. R. Jha, and S. K. Sharma, "Planar MIMO antennas for IoT and CR applications," 2017 IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), 1-2, IEEE, Dec. 19, 2017.
22. Bashir, U., K. R. Jha, G. Mishra, G. Singh, and S. K. Sharma, "Octahedron-shaped linearly polarized antenna for multistandard services including RFID and IoT," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 7, 3364-3373, May 17, 2017.
23. Ebrahimi, E. and P. S. Hall, "A dual port wide-narrowband antenna for cognitive radio," 2009 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 809-812, IEEE, Mar. 23, 2009.
24. Al-Husseini, M., Y. Tawk, C. G. Christodoulou, K. Y. Kabalan, and A. El Hajj, "A reconfigurable cognitive radio antenna design," 2010 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, IEEE, Jul. 11, 2010.
25. Tawk, Y., J. Costantine, K. Avery, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Implementation of a cognitive radio front-end using rotatable controlled reconfigurable antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1773-1778, Mar. 3, 2011.
26. Mansoul, A., F. Ghanem, M. R. Hamid, and M. Trabelsi, "A selective frequency-reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 515-518, Mar. 11, 2014.
27. Cao, Y., S. W. Cheung, X. L. Sun, and T. I. Yuk, "Frequency-reconfigurable monopole antenna with wide tuning range for cognitive radio," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 1, 145-152, 2014.
28. Zheng, S. H., X. Y. Liu, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A novel optically controlled reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radio systems," 2014 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1246-1247, 2014.
29. Erfani, E., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, M. Niroo-Jazi, and T. A. Denidni, "Design and implementation of an integrated UWB/reconfigurable-slot antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 77-80, 2012.
30. Srivastava, G., A. Mohan, and A. Chakrabarty, "Compact reconfigurable UWB slot antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1139-1142, 2016.
31. Nachouane, H., A. Najid, A. Tribak, and F. Riouch, "Dual port antenna combining sensing and communication tasks for cognitive radio," International Journal of Electronics and Telecommunications, Vol. 62, No. 2, 121-127, 2016.
32. Hu, Z. H., P. S. Hall, and P. Gardner, "Reconfigurable dipole-chassis antennas for small terminal MIMO applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 17, 953-955, 2011.
33. Chacko, B. P., G. Augustin, and T. A. Denidni, "Electronically reconfigurable uniplanar antenna with polarization diversity for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 213-216, 2015.
34. Cheng, S. P. and K. H. Lin, "A reconfigurable monopole MIMO antenna with wideband sensing capability for cognitive radio using varactor diodes," 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2233-2234, 2015.
35. Tawk, Y., F. Ayoub, C. G. Christodoulou, and J. Costantine, "A MIMO cognitive radio antenna system," 2013 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 572-573, 2013.
36. Hussain, R. and M. S. Sharawi, "Integrated reconfigurable multiple-input-multiple-output antenna system with an ultra-wideband sensing antenna for cognitive radio platforms," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 9, 940-947, 2015.
37. Truncated Cube --- FromWolfram MathWorld 2017, , http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TruncatedTetrahedron.html, Accessed Dec. 11, 2021.
38. Jha, K. R. and S. K. Sharma, "Combination of frequency agile and quasi-elliptical planar monopole antennas in MIMO implementations for handheld devices," IEEE Antennas Propagation Mag., Vol. 60, 118-131, 2018.
39. Preradov, D. and D. N. Aloi, "Cross polarized 2 x 2 LTE MIMO system for automotive shark fin application," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society, Vol. 35, No. 10, 1207-1216, 2020.
40. Goncharova, I. and S. Lindenmeier, "A high efficient automotive roof-antenna concept for LTE, DAB-L, GNSS and SDARS with low mutual coupling," Proceedings of the 2015 9th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP, 1-5, Lisbon, Portugal, Apr. 2015.
41. Khalifa, M. O., A. M. Yacoub, and D. N. Aloi, "A multiwideband compact antenna design for vehicular sub-6 GHz 5G wireless systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 12, 8136-8142, Dec. 2021.
42. Yacoub, M., M. O. Khalifa, and D. N. Aloi, "Design of multi-wideband Automotive cell antenna for LTE and 5G applications," 2021 15th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP, 2021.
43. Sanz-Izquierdo, B., S. Jun, J. Heirons, and N. Acharya, "Inkjet printer and folded LTE antenna for vehicular application," Proceedings of the 2016 46th European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 88-91, London, UK, Oct. 2016.
44. Cheng, Y., J. Lu, and C. Wang, "Design of a multiple band vehicle-mounted antenna," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2019, Article ID 6098014, 11 pages, 2019.
45. Preradov, D. and D. N. Aloi, "Cross polarized 2 x 2 LTE MIMO system for automotive shark fin application," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society, Vol. 35, No. 10, 1207-1216, 2020.
46. Hasturkoglu, S. and S. Lindenmeier, "A wideband automotive antenna for actual and future mobile communication 5G/LTE/WLAN with low profile," Proceedings of the 2017 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EUCAP, 602-605, Paris, France, Mar. 2017.
47. Iqbal, A., O. A. Saraereh, A. Bouazizi, and A. Basir, "Metamaterial-based highly isolated MIMO antenna for portable wireless applications," Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 10, 267, Oct. 22, 2018.