A Coplanar Waveguide (CPW) fed antenna with a T-type slot and Partially Reflecting Surface (PRS) for gain, bandwidth, and efficiency improvement is presented. The antenna is miniaturized to get size reduction of 46.50%. The miniaturized antenna covers frequencies in C band. The presented antenna structure is easy to design and has size of 0.682λg x 0.99λg x 0.053λg. The PRS with parasitic patches is placed on top of the antenna at a distance of 0.25λg. The presented antenna design has a bandwidth of 4.42 GHz (Antenna~1) and 3.87 GHz (Antenna~2) with a percentage bandwidth of 75.81% and 59.58% respectively having average radiation efficiency above 90%. The gains obtained are 7.03 dBi and 6.12 dBi for Antenna~1 and Antenna~2. The gain has < 3 dB variation over the complete band. The obtained results support the design and make the antenna suitable for C band applications.
2. Wong, K.-L. and W.-H. Hsu, "Broadband triangular microstrip antenna with U-shaped slot," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 25, 2085-2087, 1997.
3. Guo, Y. X., K. M. Luk, and K. F. Lee, "L-probe proximity-fed short-circuited patch antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 35, No. 24, 2069-2070, 1999.
4. Tong, K. F., K. M. Luk, K. F. Lee, and R. Q. Lee, "A broad-band U-slot rectangular patch antenna on a microwave substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 6, 954-960, 2000.
5. Yen, M.-H., P. Hsu, and J.-F. Kiang, "Analysis of a CPW-fed slot ring antenna," Proc. APMC 2001 Int. Conf., 1267-1270, 2001.
6. Tehrani, H. and K. Chang, "Multifrequency operation of microstrip-fed slot-ring antennas on thin low-dielectric permittivity substrates," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 9, 1299-1308, Sep. 2002.
7. Gao, G.-P., B. Hu, and J.-S. Zhang, "Design of a miniaturization printed circular-slot UWB antenna by the half-cutting method," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 567-570, May 2013.
8. Li, Z., "Miniaturized design of a CPW-fed slot antennas using slits," 2017 Sixth Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), Oct. 2017.
9. Ripin, N., et al., "Miniaturization of printed monopole antenna through fractal geometry and partial cutting methods for UHF application," 2015 International Conference on Computer, Communications, and Control Technology (I4CT), Apr. 2015.
10. Salih, A. A. and M. S. Sharawi, "A dual band highly miniaturized patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1783-1786, Mar. 2016.
11. Wheeler, H. A., "Fundamental limitations of small antennas," Proc. IRE, Vol. 35, No. 12, 1479-1484, Dec. 1947.
12. Chu, L. J., "Physical limitations on omnidirectional antennas," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 19, 1163-1175, Dec. 1948.
13. Hansen, R. C., "Fundamental limitations in antennas," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 69, 170-182, Feb. 1981.
14. McLean, J. S., "A re-examination of the fundamental limits on the radiation Q of electrically small antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 44, 672-676, May 1996.
15. Trentini, G. V., "Partially reflecting sheet arrays," IRE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 4, 666-671, Oct. 1956.
16. Feresidis, A. P. and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "High gain planar antenna using optimised partially reflective surfaces," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 148, No. 6, 345-350, Dec. 2001.
17. Foroozesh, N. A. and L. Shafai, "Investigation into the effects of the patch-type FSS superstrate on the high-gain cavity resonance antenna design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 2, 258-270, Feb. 2010.
18. Alexopoulos, N. and D. Jackson, "Fundamental superstrate (cover) effect on printed circuit antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 32, No. 8, 807-816, Aug. 1984.
19. Lee, R. Q. and K. F. Lee, "Experimental study of the two-layer electromagnetically coupled rectangular patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 38, No. 8, 1298-1302, Aug. 1990.
20. Egashira, S. and E. Nishiyama, "Stacked microstrip antenna with wide bandwidth and high gain," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 44, No. 11, 1533-1534, Nov. 1996.
21. Jagtap, S. D., R. K. Gupta, N. Chaskar, S. U. Kharche, and R. Thakare, "Gain and bandwidth enhancement of circularly polarized MSA using PRS and AMC layers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 87, 107-118, 2018.
22. Mehta, A. M., S. B. Deosarkar, and A. B. Nandgaonkar, "Gain and bandwidth enhancement of a CPW-fed bidirectional dumbbell shaped slot antenna using PRS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 107, 159-167, 2022.
23. Vaidya, A. R., et al., "Right-hand/left-hand circularly polarized high-gain antennas using partially reflective surfaces," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 431-434, Mar. 2014.
24. Jagtap, S., et al., "A wideband microstrip array design using RIS and PRS layers," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, 509-512, Mar. 2018.
25. Foroozesh, A. and L. Shafai, "2-D truncated periodic leaky-wave antennas with reactive impedance surface ground," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., 15-18, Albuquerque, NM, Jul. 9-14, 2006.
26. Liao, H.-P. and S.-Y. Chen, "Bandwidth and gain enhancement of CPW-fed slot antenna using a partially re ective surface formed by two-step tapered dipole unit cells," 2019 IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 2019.
27. Zhou, E., Y. Cheng, F. Chen, H. Luo, and X. Li, "Low-profile high-gain wideband multi-resonance microstrip-fed slot antenna with anisotropic metasurface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 175, 91-104, 2022.
28. Kumar, A., A. De, and R. K. Jain, "Gain enhancement using modified circular loop FSS loaded with slot antenna for sub-6 GHz 5G application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 98, 41-48, 2021.
29. Paik, H., S. K. Mishra, C. M. Sai Kumar, and K. Premchand, "High performance CPW fed printed antenna with double layered frequency selective surface reflector for bandwidth and gain improvement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 102, 47-55, 2022.
30. Bhattacharya, A., B. Dasgupta, and R. Jyoti, "Design and analysis of ultrathin X-band frequency selective surface structure for gain enhancement of hybrid antenna," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, e22505, Nov. 2020.
31. Cheng, Y.-F., X. Ding, X. Xu, X. Zhong, and C. Liao, "Design and analysis of a bow-tie slot-coupled wideband metasurface antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 7, 1342-1346, Jul. 2019.
32. Kanjanasit, K. and C. Wang, "A wideband resonant cavity antenna assembled using a micromachined CPW-fed patch source and a two-layer metamaterial superstrate," IEEE Trans. on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Tech., Vol. 9, No. 6, 1142-1150, Jun. 2019.
33. Nikolova, N. K., M. Ravan, and R. K. Amineh, "Chapter Six --- Substrate integrated antennas on silicon," Advances in Imaging and Electron Physics, Vol. 174, 391-458, 2012.
34. Ethier, J. L. T. and D. A. McNamara, "Modal significance measure in characteristic mode analysis of radiating structures," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 2, 107-108, Jan. 2010.
35. Newman, E. H., "Small antenna location synthesis using characteristic modes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 27, No. 4, 530-531, Jul. 1979.
36. Fang, S., et al., "A wideband Fabry-Perot cavity antenna with single-layer partially reflective surface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 22, 412-416, Feb. 2023.