This paper presents a new compact dual-band slotted-ring monopole antenna (SRMA) with circular fractal elements (CFEs) design for WiMAX and C bands applications. Good improvements are obtained in widening the upper-frequency band of the proposed antenna and in miniaturizing its overall size. Antenna miniaturization is accomplished by employing a coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed fractal-based SRMA loaded at its inside and outside of the ring's peripherals by two types of CFEs, namely, CFE1 and CFE2. The dual-band capability of antenna is realized by introducing in its ring's center a circular slit to act as a key parameter for band rejection characteristic. The design procedure starts from conventional circular monopole antenna (CMA), and evolution steps of antenna are performed until achieving the proposed antenna with aforementioned features. The simulated results in terms of reflection coefficient, gain, efficiency and radiation patterns are obtained by using CST MWS and HFSS programs. Due to the agreement between the CST and HFSS simulated results, the prototype of the antenna is fabricated on one side of an FR4 substrate with a volume of 20×22×0.8 mm3. Then the measured reflection coefficient is conducted, and it agrees well with the simulated counterpart. As observed from measurement, the antenna operates at two distinct bands of 3.15-3.75 GHz and 5.02-7.58 GHz that exhibits the proposed antenna to cover WiMAX, WLAN, C-, 4G LTE, 5G, and Sub-6 GHz bands. Also, the proposed antenna exhibits an acceptable gain and efficiency across the operating bands along with omnidirectional radiation pattern.
2. Vyas, K., G. Sanyal, A. K. Sharma, and P. K. Singhal, "Gain enhancement over a wideband in CPW-fed compact circular patch antenna," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 6, No. 5, 497-503, 2014.
3. Sang, S., B. Yuan, and T. Xiang, "Compact tri-band trapezoid CPW-fed antenna with SRR structure for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 61, 177-184, 2017.
4. Ahmad, H., W. Zaman, S. Bashir, and M. Rahman, "Compact triband slotted printed monopole antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 1, e21986, 2020.
5. Pandit, V. K. and A. R. Harish, "A compact CPW-fed tapered monopole triple-band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 9, 2298-2303, 2018.
6. Hussain, N., A. Abbas, S.-M. Park, S. G. Park, and N. Kim, "A compact tri-band antenna based on inverted-L stubs for smart devices," Computers, Materials and Continua, Vol. 70, No. 2, 3321-3331, 2022.
7. Kunwar, A., A. K. Gautam, and B. K. Kanaujia, "Inverted L-slot triple band antenna with defected ground structure for WLAN and WiMAX applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, No. 1, 191-196, 2017.
8. Kumar, R., R. Sinha, A. Choubey, and S. K. Mahto, "A circular monopole antenna with uniquely packed quad T-shaped strips for WLAN/WiMAX application," Frequenz, Vol. 77, No. 3-4, 211-218, 2023.
9. Naji, D. K., "Compact design of dual-band fractal ring antenna for WiMAX and WLAN applications," International Journal of Electromagnetics and Applications, Vol. 6, No. 2, 42-50, 2016.
10. Mandal, T. and S. Das, "Coplanar waveguide fed 9-point star shape monopole antennas for worldwide interoperability for microwave access and wireless local area network applications," The Journal of Engineering, Vol. 2014, No. 4, 155-160, 2014.
11. Taghizadeh, H., C. Ghobadi, B. Azarm, and M. Majidzadeh, "Grounded coplanar waveguide-fed compact MIMO antenna for wireless portable applications," Radioengineering, Vol. 28, No. 3, 528-534, 2019.
12. Naji, D. K., "Design of compact dual-band and tri-band microstrip patch antennas," International Journal of Electromagnetics and Applications, Vol. 8, 26-34, 2018.
13. Alam, M. M., R. Azim, N. M. Sobahi, A. I. Khan, and M. T. Islam, "A dual-band CPW-fed miniature planar antenna for S-, C-, WiMAX, WLAN, UWB, and X-band applications," Scientific Reports, Vol. 12, No. 1, 7584, 2022.
14. Naji, D. K., "Miniature slotted semi-circular dual-band antenna for WiMAX and WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, Vol. 20, No. 2, 115-124, 2020.
15. Ameen, M., A. Mishra, and R. K. Chaudhary, "Asymmetric CPW-fed electrically small metamaterial-inspired wideband antenna for 3.3/3.5/5.5 GHz WiMAX and 5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN applications," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 119, 153177, 2020.
16. Samsuzzaman, M., T. Islam, N. H. Abd Rahman, M. R. I. Faruque, and J. S. Mandeep, "Coplanar waveguide fed compact wide circular-slotted antenna for Wi-Fi/WiMAX applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 982958, 2014.
17. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, 2016.