Reflection and transmission coefficients (R and T) of high frequency waves propagating in the ionosphere are studied taking collisions into account. This was done approximating the expression (1 + Z2)-1 in the refractive index using binomial expansion and neglecting terms of order higher than Z2, where Z is the ratio between the electron collision frequency and the wave frequency. R and T height profiles were assessed using the International Reference Ionosphere, IRI, to estimate the ionosphere plasma parameters. Although no significant differences are found between the estimation with and without collisions, the method employed to include collisions may be useful for other purposes where collisions should be taken into account.
2. Lundborg, B. and B. Thide, "Standing wave pattern of HF radio waves in the ionospheric reflection regions 2," Applications Radio Science, Vol. 21, 486-500, 1986.
3. Ratcliffe, J. A., The Magneto-Ionic Theory and Its Applications to the Ionosphere, 81, 103, Cambridge University Press, 1959.
4. Aydogdu, M., A. Yesil, and E. Guzel, "The group refractive indices of HF waves in the ionosphere and departure from the magnitude without collisions," J. Atmos. and Solar Terr. Phys., Vol. 66, 343-348, 2003.
5. Rishbeth, H. and O. K. Garriott, Introduction to Ionospheric Physics, 130-136, Academic Press, New York and London, 1969.
6. Budden, K. G., The Propagation of Radio Waves, 137-139, Cambridge University Press, 1988.
7. Aydogdu, M. and O. Ozcan, "Effects of magnetic declination on refractive index and wave polarization coefficients of electromagnetic waves in mid-latitude ionosphere," Indian Journal of Radio and Space Physics, Vol. 25, 263-270, 1996.
8. Hagfors, T., "Electromagnetic wave propagation in a field-alignedstriated cold magnetoplasma with application to the ionosphere," J. Atmos. and Solar Terr. Phys., Vol. 46, 211-216, 1984.
9. Al'pert, Y. L., "The direction of the group velocity of electromagnetic waves in a multicomponent magneto-active plasma in the frequency range 0 < ω < ∞," J. Atmos. and Solar Terr. Phys., Vol. 42, 205-216, 1980.