A new wideband and small size star shaped patch antenna fed capacitively by a small diamond shape patch is proposed. To enhance the impedance bandwidth, posts are incorporated under the patch antenna.HFSS high frequency simulator is employed to analyze the proposed antenna and simulated results on the return loss, the E and H-plane radiation patterns and Gain of the proposed antenna are presented at various frequencies.The antenna is able to achieve in the range of 4-8.8 GHz an impedance bandwidth of 81% for return loss of less than -10 dB.
2. Kuo, J. S. and K. L. Wong, "A compact microstrip antenna with meandering slots in the ground plane," Microwave & Opt. Tech. Letter, Vol. 29, 95-97, April 20, 2001.
3. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherb eni, and C. E. Smith, "Characteristics of BOW-TIE slot antenna with tapered tuning stubs for wideband operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 49, 53-69, 2004.
4. Ang, B. K. and B. K. Chung, "A wideband microstrip patch antenna for 5–6GHZ wireless communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 397-407, 2007.
5. Waterhouse, R. B., "Broadband stacked shorted patch," Electronic Letters, Vol. 35, 98-100, Jan. 21, 1999.
6. Ge, Y., K. P. Esselle, and T. S. Bird, "A broadband E-shaped patch antenna with a microstrip compatible feed," Microwave & Opt. Tech. Letter, Vol. 42, No. 2, July 20, 2004.
7. Wong, K. L. and Y. F. Lin, "Microstrip-line-fed compact broadband circular microstrip antenna with chip resistor loading," Microwave Opt. Techno. Lett., Vol. 17, 53-55, Jan.1998.
8. Chen, K., X. Chen, and K. Huang, "A novel microstrip dipole antenna with wideband and end-fire properties," Journal of Electromagnetic. Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1679-1688, 2007.
9. Ayoub, A. F. A., "Analysis of rectangular microstrip antennas with air substrates," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 12, 1755-1766, 2003.
10. Mohamed, S., "Effect of the shorting posts on short circuit microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Ant. & Prop., 794-797, 1999.
11. Mirzapour, B. and H. R. Hassani, "Wideband and small size starshaped microstrip patch antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, 1329-1331, Nov. 2006.