It has long been known that the conical antenna has broadband characteristics and good radiation efficiency. The design considerations in reducing the size of top loaded conical antenna by using posts with lumped resistive loading are presented. The resulting antenna can achieve a VSWR of better than 2.0 over 100-800MHz frequency range. Results indicate that the addition of posts and lumped resistive loading has significant role in designing broadband antennas which are in small size.
2. Chu, L. J., "Physical limitations of omni-directional antennas," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 19, 1163-1175, Dec. 1948.
3. Taylor, R. M., "A broadband omnidirectional antenna," Proc. IEEE Int. Antenna Propagat. URSI Symposium, 1294-1297, 1994.
4. McLean, J., "A re-examination of the fundamental limits on the radiation Q of electrically small antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 44, 672-676, May 1996.
5. Taniguchi, T. and T. Kobayashi, "An omnidirectional and low-VSWR antenna for ultra-wideband wireless systems," IEEE Radio and Wireless Conference 2002, 145-148, Aug. 2002.
6. Lally, J. F. and D. T. Rouch, "Experimental investigation of the broadband properties of a continuously loaded resistive monopole," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 18, 764-768, Nov. 1970.
7. Kishk, A. A. and C.-S. Lim, "Comparative analysis between conical and Gaussian profiled horn antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 38, 147-166, 2002.
8. Mallahzadeh, A. R., A. A. Dastranj, and H. R. Hassani, "A novel dual polarized double-ridged horn antenna for wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 67-80, 2008.
9. Shafieha, J. H., J. Noorinia, and C. Ghobadi, "Probing the feed line parameters in vivaldi notch antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 237-252, 2008.
10. Wang, Y. J. and C. K. Lee, "Compact and broadband microstrip patch antenna for the 3G IMT-2000 handsets applying styrofoam and shorting-posts," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 47, 75-85, 2004.
11. Zhal, S.-C., B.-Z. Wang, and Q.-Q. He, "Broadband radar cross section reduction of a rectangular patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 263-275, 2008.