An analytical formula of the current distribution for the VLF horizontal wire antenna located above the ground is presented in this paper. This formula is suitable for the VLF horizontal antenna which is fed at arbitrary position and with arbitrary loaded impedance at the end. In order to validate the analytical formula, a numerical code based on MoM is also developed. The comparison between the results obtained by two methods proves the validity of the analytical formula proposed in this paper.
2. King, R. W. P., "Directional VLF antenna for communicating with submarines," Radio Science, Vol. 32, No. 1, 113-126, 1997.
3. Popovic, B. D. and V. V. Petrovic, "Horizontal wire antenna above lossy half-space: Simple accurate image solution," International Journal of Numerical Modelling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields, Vol. 9, No. 3, 191-199, 1996.
4. Chevalier, T. W., U. S. Inan, and T. F. Bell, "Characterization of terminal impedance and radiation properties of a horizontal VLF antenna over Antarctic ice ," Radio Science, Vol. 46, 2006.
5. Mei, J. P. and K. Li, "Electromagnetic field from a horizontal electric dipole on the surface of a high lossy dielectric coated with a uniaxial layer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 73, 71-91, 2007.
6. Poljak, D. and V. Doric, "Wire antenna model for transient analysis of simple grounding systems, Part II: The horizontal grounding electrode," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 167-189, 2006.
7. Makki, S. V., T. Z. Ershadi, and M. S. Abrishamian, "Determining the specific ground conductivity aided by the horizontal electric dipole antenna near the ground surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 43-65, 2008.
8. Liu, C., Q.-Z. Liu, L. Zheng, and W. Yu, "Numeric calculation of input impedance for a giant VLF T-type antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 1-10, 2007.
9. Xu, X.-B. and Y. Huang, "An efficient analysis of vertical dipole antennas above a lossy half-space," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 353-377, 2007.
10. Seeley, E. W., "High power VLF transmitting antennas using fast wave horizontal dipole arrays," Radio Science, Vol. 5, No. 5, 841-852, May 1970.
11. King, R. W. P., "The circuit properties and complete fields of horizontal-wire antennas and arrays over earth or sea," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 71, No. 3, 1499-1508, Feb. 1992.
12. Fang, D. G., J. J. Yang, and G. Y. Delisle, "Discrete image theory for horizontal electric dipoles in a multilayered medium," IEE Proc. Pt. H, Vol. 135, No. 5, 297-303, 1988.
13. Chow, Y. L., J. J. Yang, D. G. Fang, and G. E. Howard, "Closedform spatial Green's function for the thick substrate," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 39, No. 3, 588-592, Mar. 1991.
14. Aksun, I. M. and T. Onal, "Critical study of DCIM, and development of efficient simulation tool for 3D printed structures in multilayer media," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 1, 35-37, 2006.