This paper overviews the latest trends of millimeterwave (MMW) imaging technologies, focusing mainly on applications of and technical parameter variations for security surveillance and nondestructive inspections (NDI).We introduce a smart NDI tool using active W-band imaging, which is capable of detecting hidden surface cracks in concrete structures.
2. Sheen, D. M., D. L. McMakin, and T. E. Hall, "Near field imaging at microwave and millimeter wave frequencies," Proc. of IEEE IMS, 1693-696, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, June 2007.
3. Sheen, D. M., D. L. McMakin, and T. E. Hall, "Three-dimensional millimeter-wave imaging for concealed weapon detection," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theo. and Tech., Vol. 49, No. 9, 1581-1592, 2001.
4. Clark, S. E., J. A. Lovberg, C. A. Martin, and V. Kolinko, "Passive millimeter-wave imaging for airborne and security applications," Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 5077, 16-21, August 2003.
5. Sasaki, A. and T. Nagatsuma, "Millimeter-wave imaging using an electrooptic detector as a harmonic mixer," IEEE J. of Selected Topics in Quan. Elec., Vol. 6, No. 5, 735-740, 2000.
6. Lubecke, V. M., O. Boric-Lubecke, A. Host-Madsen, and A. E. Fathy, "Through-the-wall radar life detection and monitoring," Proc. of IEEE IMS, 769-772, Honolulu, USA, June, 2007.
7. Salmon, N. A., "A w-band real-time passive millimeter-wave imager for helicopter collision avoidance," Proc. of SPIE on Passive Milli.-Wave Imaging Tech. III, Vol. 3703, 28-32, Orlando, Florida, USA, April 1999.
8. Mizuno, K., H. Matono, Y. Wagatsuma, H. Warashina, H. Sato, S. Miyanaga, and Y. Yamanaka, "New applications of millimeterwave incoherent imaging," Proc. of IEEE IMS2005, Long Beach, California, USA, June 2005.
9. Appleby, R., "Passive millimetre-wave imaging and how it differs from terahertz imaging," Phil. Trans. of T. L. Soc., Vol. 362, No. 8, 379-394, Lond. A, 2003.
10. Lovberg, J. A., C. Martin, and V. Kolinko, "Video-rate passive millimeter-wave imaging using phased arrays," Proc. of IEEE IMS, 1689-1692, Honolulu, USA, June 2007.
11. Nozokido, T., J. Bae, and K. Mizuno, "Scanning near-field millimeter-wave microscopy using a metal slit as a scanning probe," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theo. and Tech., Vol. 49, No. 3, 491-499, 2001.
12. Appleby, R. and R. N. Anderton, "Millimeter-wave and submillimeter-wave imaging for security and surveillance," Proc. of IEEE, Vol. 95, No. 8, 1683-1690, 2007.
13. Appleby, R., R. N. Anderton, S. Price, N. A. Salmon, G. N. Sinclair, J. R. Borrill, P. R. Coward, P. Papakosta, and A. H. Lettington, "Compact real-time (video rate) passive millimeter-wave imager," Proc. of SPIE on Passive Milli.-Wave Imaging Tech. III, Vol. 3703, 13-19, Orlando, Florida, USA, April 1999.
14. Pirogov, Y. A., M. F. Attia, I. M. Blankson, A. I. Dubina, V. V. Gladun, C. D. Papanicolopoulos, E. N. Terentiev, and O. A. Tarasova, "Problem of radiovision system resolution improvement in millimeter-wave range," Proc. of SPIE on Passive Milli.-Wave Imaging Tech. III, Vol. 3703, 175-180, Orlando, Florida, USA, April 1999.
15. Terentiev, E. N., Y. A. Pirogov, V. V. Gladun, B. A. Rozanov, A. S. Pavlov, and O. A. Tarasova, "Problem of the sun radiovision system super-resolution in 3mm wavelength range," Proc. of SPIE on Passive Milli.-Wave Imaging Tech. III, Vol. 3703, 181-189, Orlando, Florida, USA, April 1999.
16. Oka, S. and S. LeClair, "Image mining of evanescent microwave data for nondestructive material inspection," Proc. of IPMM, Sendai, Japan, May 2003.
17. Bolomey, J. C. and F. E. Gardiol, Engineering Applications of the Modulated Scatterer Technique, Artech House Publishers, Boston, London, 2001.
18. Nadakuduti, J., G. Chen, and R. Zoughi, "Semiempirical electromagnetic modeling of crack detection and sizing in cementbased materials using near-field microwave mothods," IEEE Trans. on Inst. and Meas., Vol. 55, No. 2, 588-597, 2006.