The electronic structure and mobility trends in a n-type delta-doped quantum well in Si, matched between p-type delta-doped barriers of the same material, is presented. The distance between the n-type well and p-type barriers is varied from 50A to 500A; and also the impurity density from 5 × 1012 cm-2 to 5 × 1013 cm-2, for both, donors and acceptors. An increase in the mobility by a factor of 1.6 at interwell distance of 50A with donor and acceptor concentrations of 5 × 1012 cm-2 and 5 × 1013 cm-2 compared with a single delta-doped well without p-type barriers is found. This improvement in mobility could be attributed to a better confinement of carriers, which favors excited levels with nodes in the donor plane. This trade-off between carrier concentration and mobility could be exploited in high-speed, high-power and high-frequency applications.
2. Zudov, M. A., C. L. Yang, R. R. Du, T.-C. Shen, J.-Y. Ji, J. S. Kline, and J. R. Tucker, "Weak localization in ultradense 2D electron gas in δ-doped Silicon," Condmat/0305482, (unpublished).
3. Goh, K. E. J., L. Oberbeck, M. Y. Simmons, A. R. Hamilton, and M. J. Butcher, "Influence of doping density on electronic transport in degenerate Si: P δ-doped layers," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 73, No. 3, 035401, 2006.
4. Ando, T., A. B. Fowler, and F. Stern, "Electronic properties of two-dimensional systems," Rev. Mod. Phys., Vol. 54, No. 2, 437-672, 1982.
5. Rodriguez-Vargas, I. and L. M. Gaggero-Sager, "Subband and transport calculations in double n-type δ-doped quantum wells in Si," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 99, No. 3, 033702, 2006.
6. Gurtovoi, V. L., V. V. Valyaev, S. Yu Shapoval, and A. N. Pustovit, "Electron transport properties of double deltadoped GaAs structures grown by low-pressure metalorganic chemical vapor deposition," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 72, No. 10, 1202-1204, 1998.
7. Rodriguez-Vargas, I., L. M. Gaggero-Sager, and V. R. Velasco, "Thomas-Fermi-Dirac theory of the hole gas of a double p-type δ-doped GaAs quantum wells," Surf. Sci., Vol. 537, No. 1, 75-83, 2003.
8. Gaggero-Sager, L. M., N. Moreno-Martinez, I. Rodriguez-Vargas, R. Perez-Alvarez, V. V. Grimalsky, and M. E. Mora-Ramos, "Electronic structure as a function of temperature for Si δ-doped quantum wells in GaAs," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 6, 851-854, 2007.
9. Gaggero-Sager, L. M., M. E. Mora-Ramos, and D. A. Contreras-Solorio, "Thomas-Fermi approximation in p-type δ-doped quantum wells of GaAs and Si," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 57, No. 11, 6286-6289, 1998.
10. Rodriguez-Vargas, I. and L. M. Gaggero-Sager, "Hole-level structure of double δ-doped quantum wells in Si: The influence of the split-off band," Physica B, Vol. 389, No. 2, 227-233, 2007.