We present the electronic spectrum of a n-type deltadoped quantum well in Si coupled to a p-type delta-doped barrier within the envelope function effective mass approximation. We applied the Thomas-Fermi approximation to derive an analytical expression for the confining potential, and thus, we obtain the electronic structure in a simple manner. We analyzed the electron subband structure varying the distance between the doping planes (l) as well as the impurity density in them (n2D, p2D). We also study the mobility trends through an empirical formula that is based on the electron levels, the electron wave functions and the Fermi level. We find a monotonic decrease in the mobility as the p-type barrier moves away from the n-type well, and optimum parameters, l = 70A and n2D = 5 × 1012 cm-2 and p2D = 5×1013 cm-2, for maximum mobility.
2. Lee, C.-S., C.-H. Chen, J.-C. Huang, and K.-H. Su, "Comparative studies on double δ-doped Al0.3Ga0.7As/InxGa1xAs/GaAs symmetrically graded doped-channel field-effect transistors," J. Electrochem. Soc., Vol. 154, No. 5, H374–H379, 2007.
3. Chu, L.-H., H.-T. Hsu, E.-Y. Chang, T.-L. Lee, S.-H. Chen, Y.-C. Lien, and C.-Y. Chang, "Double δ-doped enhancement-mode InGaP/AlGaAs/InGaAs pseudomorphic high electron mobility transistor for linearity application," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 45, No. 35, L932-L934, 2006.
4. Lee, C.-Y., H.-P. Shiao, K.-C. Kuo, H.-Y. Wu, and W.-H. Lin, "Mobility and charge density tuning in double δ-doped pseudomorphic high-electron-mobility transistors grown by metal organic chemical vapor deposition," J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, Vol. 24, No. 6, 2597-2600, 2006.
5. Lin, Y.-S., D.-H. Huang, W.-C. Hsu, T. B. Wang, K. H. Su, J.-C. Huang, and C. H. Ho, "Improved InAlGaP-based heterostructure field-effect transistors," Semicond. Sci. Technol., Vol. 21, No. 4, 540-543, 2006.
6. Kalna, K., Q. Wang, M. Passlack, and A. Asenov, "Monte Carlo simulations of δ-doping placement in sub-100nm implant free InGaAs MOSFETs," Mater. Sci. Eng. B, Vol. 135, No. 3, 285-288, 2006.
7. Saidi, I., L. Bouzaiene, M. H. Gazzah, H. Mejri, and H. Maaref, "Back doping design in delta-doped AlGaN/GaN heterostructure field-effect transistors," Solid State Commun., Vol. 140, No. 6, 308-312, 2006.
8. Gossmann, H.-J. and F. C. Unterwald, "Dopant electrical activity and majority-carrier mobility in B- and Sb-δ-doped Si thin films," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 47, No. 19, 12618-12624, 1993.
9. Zudov, M. A., C. L. Yang, R. R. Du, T.-C. Shen, J.-Y. Ji, J. S. Kline, and J. R. Tucker, "Weak localization in ultradense 2D electron gas in δ-doped silicon," Cond-mat/0305482, (unpublished).
10. Goh, K. E. J., L. Oberbeck, M. Y. Simmons, A. R. Hamilton, and M. J. Butcher, "Influence of doping density on electronic transport in degenerate Si: P δ-doped layers," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 73, No. 3, 035401, 2006.
11. Ando, T., A. B. Fowler, and F. Stern, "Electronic properties of two-dimensional systems," Rev. Mod. Phys., Vol. 54, No. 2, 437-672, 1982.
12. Rodriguez-Vargas, I. and L. M. Gaggero-Sager, "Subband and transport calculations in double n-type δ-doped quantum wells in Si," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 99, No. 3, 033702, 2006.
13. Gurtovoi, V. L., V. V. Valyaev, S. Yu Shapoval, and A. N. Pustovit, "Electron transport properties of double deltadoped GaAs structures grown by low-pressure metalorganic chemical vapor deposition," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 72, No. 10, 1202-1204, 1998.
14. Rodriguez-Vargas, I., L. M. Gaggero-Sager, and V. R. Velasco, "Thomas-Fermi-Dirac theory of the hole gas of a double p-type δ-doped GaAs quantum wells," Surf. Sci., Vol. 537, No. 1, 75-83, 2003.