An ultra-wideband (UWB) U type monopole antenna fed by a coplanar waveguide (CPW) is proposed. It has low profile and very compact size (14.48mm×28.74mm×0.8 mm). It provides an wide impedance bandwidth ranging from 3.08 GHz to about 12.75 GHz adjustable by variation of its parameters, such as the relative permittivity and thickness of the substrate, width, and feed and ground plane dimensions. Parametric study is presented. Details of the proposed ultra-wideband design are described. Simulation results are presented and discussed in this paper.
2. El-Fishawy, N., M. Shokair, and W. Saad, "Proposed Mac protocol versus IEEE 802.15.3a for multimedia transmission over UWB networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 189-206, 2008.
3. Stroh, S., "Ultra-wideband: Multimedia unplugged," IEEE Spectrum, Vol. 24, Sep. 2003.
4. Anon, "FCC first report and order on ultra-wideband technology,", Feb. 2002.
5. Chang, D.-C., M.-Y. Liu, and C.-H. Lin, "A CPW-fed U type monopole antenna for UWB applications," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2005 IEEE, Vol. 2A, 512-515, July 3–8, 2005.
6. Mallahzadeh, A. R., A. A. Dastranj, and H. R. Hassani, "A novel dual-polarized double-ridged horn antenna for wideband applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 67-80, 2008.
7. Chen, Y.-L., C. Ruan, and L. Peng, "A novel ultra-wideband bow-tie slot antenna in wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 101-108, 2008.
8. Abbaspour , M. and H. R. Hassani, "Wideband star-shaped microstrip patch antenna,", Vol. 1, 61-68, 2008.
9. Suh, S.-Y., W. L. Stutzman, and W. A. Davis, "A new ultra-wideband printed monopole antenna: The planar inverted cone antenna (PICA) ," IEEE Trans. AP, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1361-1364, 2004.
10. Abbas-Azimi, M., F. Arazm, J. Rashed-Mohassel, and R. Faraji-Dana, "Design and optimization of a new 1–18 GHz double ridged guide horn antenna," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 4, 501-516, 2007.
11. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "A modified microstrip-fed two-step tapered monopole antenna for UWB and wlan applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 137-148, 2007.
12. Eldek, A. A., "Numerical analysis of a small ultra wideband microstrip-fed tap monopole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 59-69, 2006.
13. Liu, W. C., "Optimal design of dualband CPW-fed G-shaped monopole antenna for wlan application ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 21-38, 2007.
14. Kharakhili, F. G., M. Fardis, G. Dadashzadeh, A. A. K. Ahmad, and N. Hojjat, "Circular slot with a novel circular microstrip open ended microstrip feed for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 161-167, 2007.
15. Rajabi, M., M. Mohammadirad, and N. Komjani, "Simulation of ultra wideband microstrip antenna using EPML-TLM," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 115-124, 2008.
16. Hosseini, S. A., Z. Atlasbaf, and K. Forooraghi, "Two new loaded compact planar ultra-wideband antennas using defected ground structures ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 165-176, 2008.
17. Khan, S. N., J. Hu, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Circular fractal monopole antenna for low VSWR UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 19-25, 2008.
18. Ren, W., J. Y. Deng, and K. S. Chen, "Compact PCB monopole antenna for UWB applications," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 10, 1411-1420, 2007.
19. Gopikrishna, M., D. D. Krishna, A. R. Chandran, and C. K. Aanandan, "Square monopole antenna for ultra wide band communication applications,", Vol. 21, No. 11, 1525-1537, 2007.
20. Ren, W., Z.-G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "Novel planar monopole uwb antenna with 5-GHz band-notched characteristic," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 12, 1645-1652, 2007.
21. Zhou, H.-J., Q.-Z. Liu, J.-F. Li, and J. Guo, "A swallow-tailed wideband planar monopole antenna with semi-elliptical base," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 9, 1257-1264, 2007.
22. Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS), Ver. 10. 0, Ansoft Corporation.