The scattering of visible light by hexagonal-shaped column containing densely packed inclusions is simulated by a combination of ray-tracing and Monte Carlo techniques. While the ray tracing program takes care of the individual reflection and refraction events at the outer boundary of the particle, the Monte Carlo routine simulates internal scattering processes. A dense-medium light-scattering theory based on the introduction of the static structure factor is used to calculate the phase function for densely packed inclusions. Numerical results of the phase function for a randomly oriented hexagonal-shaped ice crystal with multiple densely packed inclusions are evaluated.
2. Li, L. W., Y. Dan, M.-S. Leong, T.-S. Yeo, and J. A. Kong, "Plane wave scattering by an achiral multilayered sphere in an infinitely extended chiral host medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 33, 261-298, 2001.
3. Li, L. W., Y. Dan, M. S. Leong, and J. A. Kong, "Electromagnetic scattering by an inhomogeneous chiral sphere of varying permittivity: A discrete analysis using multilayered model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 23, 239-263, 1999.
4. Censor, D., "Non-relativistic scattering in the presence of moving objects: The Mie problem for a moving sphere," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 46, 1-32, 2004.
5. Sun, X. M., X. W. Shi, and Y. P. Han, "Reflection of polarized light in ice-water mixed clouds," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 12, 1655-1665, 2006.
6. Zhang, Y. J. and E. P. Li, "Fast multipole accelerated scattering matrix method for multiple scattering of a large number of cylinders," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 105-126, 2007.
7. Li, Y.-L., J. Y. Huang, M. J.Wang, and J. Zhang, "Scattering field for the ellipsoidal targets irradiated by an electromagnetic wave with arbitrary polarizing and propagating direction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 221-235, 2008.
8. Takano, Y. and K. N. Liou, "Radiative transfer in cirrus clouds. Part III: Light scattering by irregular ice crystals," J. Atmos. Sci., Vol. 52, 818-837, 1995.
9. Sassen, K., et al., "The 5–6 December 1991 FURE IFO II jet stream cirrus case study: Possoble influence of volcanic aerosols," J. Atmos. Sci., Vol. 52, 92-123, 1994.
10. Raes, F., J. Wilson, and R. Van Dingenen, "Aerosol dynamics and its implications for the global aerosol climatology," in Aerosol Forcing of Climate, R. Charlson and J. Heintzenberg (eds.), 153-169, John Wiley & Sons, 1995.
11. Xu, Y. X., J. Y. Huang, and Y. L. Li, "The effect of attenuation induced by sand and dust storms on Ka-band electromagnetic wave propagation along earth-space paths," Int. J. Infrared and Milli. Waves., Vol. 23, No. 11, 1677-1682, 2002.
12. Chen, H. B. and H. B. Sun, "On the anomalous absorption of solar radiation by water clouds and by the cloudy atmosphere," J. Atmos. Sci., Vol. 21, 750-757, 1997 (in Chinese).
13. Macke, A., M. I. Mishchenko, and B. Cairns, "The influence of inclusions on light scattering by large ice particles," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 101, 23311-23316, 1996.
14. Mishchenko, M. I., "Asymmetry parameters of the phase function for densely packed scattering grains," J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer, Vol. 53, 95-110, 1994.
15. Bohren, C. F. and D. R. Huffman, Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles, Wiley Press, New York, 1983.
16. Twersky, V., "Multiple scattering of waves and optical phenomena," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 52, 145-171, 1962.
17. Tsang, L. and J. A. Kong, "Scattering of electromagnetic waves from a half space of densely distributed scatterers," Radio. Sci., Vol. 18, No. 6, 1260-1272, 1983.
18. Balescu, R., Equillibrium and Nonequilibrium Statistical Mechanics, Wiley Press, New York, 1975.
19. Wiscombe, W. J. and S. G. Warren, "A model for the spectral albedo of snow, I: Pure snow," J. Atmos. Sci., Vol. 37, 2712-2733, 1980.