A novel compact Archimedean spiral antenna with gaploading is investigated in this paper. A circular frame sharing the same centre with the spiral elements introduces a capacitive gap. By adjusting the width of the gap and the width of the circular frame, the initial resonant frequency of the proposed antenna is shifted from 2.79 to 1.93 GHz. Compared with the traditional Archimedean spiral antenna with the same lowest operation frequency, the area of the proposed antenna can be reduced by more than 30simulated radiation pattern results.
2. Sadat, S. and M. Houshmand, "Design of a microstrip squarering slot antenna filled by an h-shape slot for UWB," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 191-198, 2007.
3. Wang, F. J. and J. S. Zhang, "Wide band cavity-backed patch antenna for PCS/IMI2000/2.4 GHz WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 39-46, 2007.
4. Turner, E. M, Spiral slot antenna, WADC, Aerial Reconnaissance Laboratory, Project 4341, Technical note WCLR 55-8, June 1955.
5. Wang, J. J. H., "The spiral as a traveling wave structure for broadband antenna applications," Electromagnetics, 20-40, July-August 2000.
6. Wang, Y. J. and C. K. Lee, "Compact and broadband microstrip patch antenna for the 3G IMT-2000 handsets applying styrofoam and shorting-posts," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007.
7. Sayem, A. T. M. and M. Ali, "Characteristics of a microstripfed miniature printed hilbert slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 1-18, 2006.
8. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. Geran, and G. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstirp square-ring slot antenna for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007.
9. Saed, M. and R. Yadla, "Microstrip-fed low profile and compact dielectric resonator antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 151-162, 2006.
10. Zhao, G., F. S. Zhang, Y. Song, Z. B. Weng, and Y. C. Jiao, "Compact ring monopole antenna with double meander lines for 2.4/5GHz dual-band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007.
11. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M., "Compact UWB bandnotch antenna with transmission-line-fed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 283-293, 2008.
12. Hosseini, S. A., Z. Atlasbaf, and K. Forooraghi, "Two new loaded compact planar ultra-band antennas using defected ground structures ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 165-176, 2008.
13. Jolani, F. and A. M. Dadgarpour, "Compact m-slot folded patch antenna for WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 35-42, 2008.
14. Lee M., B. A. Kramer, C.-C. Chen, and J. L. Volakis, "Broadband spiral antenna miniaturization limit," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symp., 3701-3704, July 2006.
15. Li, R. L., E. M. Tentzeris, J. Laskar, V. F. Fusco, and R. Cahill, "Broadband antenna for DCS-1800/IMT-2000 mobile phone handset," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 12, No. 8, August 2002.
16. Qu, S. W., C. L. Ruan, B. Z. Wang, and Q. Xue, "Planar bow-tie antenna embedded in circular aperture within conductive frame," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 2006.