A planar half mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) broadband bandpass filter is proposed. It is realized by cascading a lowpass filter and a highpass filter. A transmission line with half mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) on the circuit board has the characteristic of highpass, while a periodic uniform photo band structure (PBG) array has the characteristic of bandstop. Combining these two structures, a novel compact broadband bandpass filter (BPF) is fabricated and measured. Measured results show that the proposed BPF has wide bandwidth from 11.8 GHz to 23.8 GHz, all the measured insert loss are less than 2.1 dB, return loss are less than 9 dB in the passband. The BPF achieves a wide stopband with 34 dB attenuation low to 5GHz and 27 dB attenuation up to 35GHz.
2. Gao, J., L. Zhu, W. Menzel, and F. Bugelsack, "Shortcircuited CPW multiple-mode resonator for ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, 104-106, August 2006.
3. Wang, H., L. Zhu, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with hybrid microstrip CPW structure," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, 844-846, December 2005.
4. Yang, G. M., R. H. Jin, and J. P. Geng, "Planar microstrip UWB bandpass filter using U-shaped slot coupling structure," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 25, December 2006.
5. Wang, Y., W. Hong, and Y. Dong, "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) bandpass filter," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, 265-267, April 2007.
6. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M. and M. Tayarani, "Miniature planar UWB bandpass filters with circular slots in ground," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 87-93, 2008.
7. Shobeyri, M. and M. H. Vadjed Samiei, "Compact ultra-wide band bandpass filter with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 25-31, 2008.
8. Ahn, D., J. Park, C. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, 86-92, January 2001.
9. Rahman, M. and M. A. Stuchly, "Modeling and application of 2D photonic band gap structures," IEEE Proceedings of A erospace Conference, Vol. 2, 893-898, March 2001.
10. Yun, T. Y. and K. Chang, "Uniplanar one-dimensional photonicbandgap structures and resonators," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, 549-553, March 2001.
11. Radisic, V., Y. Qian, R. Coccioli, and T. Itoh, "Novel 2-D photonic bandgap structure for microstrip lines," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 8, 69-71, February 1998.
12. Taflove, A., Computational Electrodynamics: The Finitedifference Time-domain Method, Artech House Publications, 1995.