It is proposed that the application of defected ground structures (DGS) and electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) reduce the phase velocity, increase effective permittivity of microstrips and reduce the effective the wavelength which eventually lead to the reduction of overall length of Wilkinson power dividers. Furthermore, the adjacent strip lines may approach each other, which cause coupling problems. The undesired coupling maybe cancelled by connecting a capacitance in parallel with the isolation resistor of Wilkinson power divider. Application of DGS and EBG will not only reduce the dimensions of the divider, but also improves its scattering parameters.
2. Cohn, S. B., "A class of broadband three port TEM-mode hybrids," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 16, No. 2, 110-116, Feb. 1968.
3. Orazi, H. and A. R. Sharifi, "Design and optimization of broadband asymmetrical multisection wilkinson power divider," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 54, No. 5, 2220-2231, May 2006.
4. Eking, R. B., "A new method of synthesizing matched broad-band TEM-mode three port," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 19, No. 1, 81-88, Jan. 1971.
5. Scardelletti, M. C., G. E. Ponchak, and T. M. Weller, "Miniaturized wilkinson power divider utilizing capacitive loading," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 12, No. 1, 6-8, Jan. 2002.
6. Shamsinejad, S., M. Soleimani, and N. Komjani, "Novel miniaturized wilkinson power divider for 3g mobile receivers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 9-16, 2008.
7. Papapolymerou1, J., G. E. Ponchak, and E. M. Tentzeris, "A wilkinson power divider on a low resistivity Si substrate with a polyimide interface layer for wireless circuits," IEEE MTTS International Microwave Symposium Diqest, Vol. 1, 593-596, Jun. 2002.
8. Weng, L. H., Y. C. Gue, X. W. Shi, and X. Q. Chen, "An overview on defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 173-189, 2008.
9. Chen, J., Z. B. Weng, Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "Lowpass filter design of Hilbert curve ring defected ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 269-280, 2007.
10. Lim, J. S., S. W. Lee, C. S. Kim, J. S. Park, D. Ahn, and S. Nam, "A 4: 1 unequal wilkinson power divider," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 3, 124-126, Mar. 2001.
11. Woo, D. and T. K. Lee, "Suppression of harmonics in Wilkinson power divider using dual-band rejection by asymmetric DGS," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 6, 2139-2144, Jun. 2005.
12. Sung, Y. J., C. A. Ahn, and Y. S. Kim, "Size reduction and harmonic suppression of rat-race hybrid coupler using defected ground structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letter, Vol. 14, No. 1, 7-9, Jun. 2004.
13. Lim, J. S., H. S. Kim, J. S. Park, D. Ahn, and S. Nam, "A power amplifier with efficiency improved using defected ground structure," IEEE, Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, 170-172, Apr. 2001.
14. Sharma, R., T. Chakravarty, and S. Bhooshan, "Design of a novel 3 dB microstrip backward wave coupler using defected groung structure ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 261-273, 2006.
15. Chen, X. Q., X. W. Shi, Y. C. Guo, and C. M. Xiao, "A novel dual band transmitter using microstrip defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 1-11, 2008.
16. Oskouei, D., H. K. Forooraghi, and M. Hakak, "Guided and leaky wave characteristics of periodic defected ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 73, 15-27, 2007.
17. Chen, H. and Y. X. Zhang, "A novel compact planar six-way power divider using folded and hybrid-expanded coupled lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 243-252, 2007.
18., Microwave Engineering, 3rd edition, John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2004.
19. Fooks, E. H. and R. A. Zakarevicius, Microwave Engineering Using Microstrip Circuits, Prentice Hall, 1990.