This paper presents the calculations of transmission line loss factor by extracting from the Q-factor measurement of the quarterwavelength open stub resonators over the designed frequency and other resonant frequencies. A comparison of the loss factor of the design frequency with other resonant frequencies of each of the stub's quarter-wave resonances is provided in this paper. The radiation and discontinuity losses are undesirably included in the unloaded Q-factor measurement andit shows that the unloadedQ-factor is not repeatable at different designed frequency. The implementation of the loss factor measurement by quarter-wavelength open stub resonators is becoming more andmore important to be consideredwith the increase of using the electronic circuits operating at high frequencies.
2. Afsar, M. N., J. R. Birch, and R. N. Clarke, "The measurement of the properties of materials," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 74, No. 1, 183-199, 1986.
3. Yamacli, S., C. Ozdemir, and A. Akdagli, "A method for determining the dielectric constant of microwave PCB substrates," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 29, No. 2, 207-216, 2008.
4. Kumar, A. and G. Singh, "Measurement of dielectric constant and loss factor of the dielectric material at microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 47-54, 2007.
5. Qian, C. and W. B. Dou, "A new approach for measuring permittivity of dielectric materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, 795-810, 2005.
6. Bogle, A., M. Havrilla, D. Nyquis, L. Kempel, and E. Rothwell, "Electromagnetic material characterization using a partially filled rectangular waveguide," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, 1291-1306, 2005.
7. Roumeliotis, J. A., "Resonant frequencies in an electromagnetic rectangular/cylindrical/spherical cavity with an inner-off-axis smalldielectric sphere," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 11, 185-195, 1997.
8. Carroll, J., M. Li, and K. Chang, "New technique to measure transmission line attenuation," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 43, No. 1, 219-222, 1995.
9. Edwards, T. C., Foundations for Microstrip Circuit Design, 2nd Ed., 254-255, John Willy & Sons, New York, 1992.
10. Kirschning, M., R. H. Jansen, and N. H. L. Koster, "Accurate model for open end effect of microstrip lines," Electron Lett., Vol. 17, No. 3, 123-125, Feb. 1981.
11. Goldfarb, M. and A. Platzker, "Losses in GaAs microstrip," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 38, No. 12, 1957-1963, Dec. 1990.
12. Leone, M., "The radiation of a rectangular power-bus structure at multiple cavity-mode resonances ," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 45, No. 3, 486-492, Aug. 2003.
13. Chen, R. L., J. Chen, T. H. Hubing, and W. Shi, "Analytical model for the rectangular power-ground structure including radiation loss," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 47, No. 1, 10-16, Feb. 2005.
14. Ranjkesh, N. and M. Shahabadi, "Loss mechanisms in SIW and MSIW," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 299-309, 2008.
15. Mondal, M. and A. Chakrabarty, "Resonant length calculation and radiation pattern synthesis of longitudinal slot antenna in rectangular waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 187-195, 2008.
16. Hussein, K. A., "Efficient near-fieldcomputation for radiation and scattering from conducting surfaces of arbitrary shape," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 267-285, 2007.
17. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Single-series solution to the radiation of loop antenna in the presence of a conducting sphere," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 277-294, 2007.
18. Shin, D. H. and T. Itoh, "A note on radiation loss of zeroth order resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 109-116, 2008.