This paper describes a fast pattern synthesis method for a broadband array antenna using the particle swarm optimization (PSO) and cubic spline interpolation (CSI). Being an indispensable part of a high speed space-division communication system, the array antenna operates in a wide frequency band (200-400 MHz) and has stable patterns with 60-degree half power beam width (HPBW) in the whole frequency band. Firstly, by establishing a versatile objective function, the complex excitations of the circular array at the selected seven frequency points are determined via the PSO algorithm. Then, the complex excitations of the circular array at arbitrary frequency points in the whole working frequency band are calculated effectively using the CSI method. A uniform circular array with six broadband dipole elements is examined. The broadband patterns with 60-degree HPBW and the accuracy of the interpolation method are demonstrated.
2. Nishimori, K. and K. Cho, "A novel SDMA configuration using smart antenna adopting vertical pattern and polarization control," Vehicular Technology Conference, Vol. 2, 871-875, 2003.
3. Mahmoud, K. R., M. I. El-Adawy, R. Bansal, S. H. Zainud-Deen, and S. M. M. Ibrahem, "Analysis of uniform circular arrays for adaptive beamforming applications using particle swarm optimization algorithm," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 1, 42-52, January 2008.
4. Peter, J. B. and A. B. Constantine, "Minimum sidelobe levels for linear arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 12, 3442-3449, 2007.
5. Kennedy, J. and R. C. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Vol. 4, 1942-1948, Perth, Wash, Australia, November 1995.
6. Robinson, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 2, 397-407, 2004.
7. Lee, K. C. and J. Y. Jhang, "Application of particle swarm algorithm to the optimization of unequally spaced antenna arrays," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves andApplic ations, Vol. 20, 2001-2012, 2006.
8. Chen, T. B., et al., "Synthesis of circular antenna array using crossed particle swarm optimization algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves andApplic ations, Vol. 20, 1785-1795, 2006.
9. Liu, X. F., et al., "Modified particle swarm optimization of patch antenna design based on IE3D," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves andApplic ations, Vol. 21, 1819-1828, 2007.
10. Mahmoud, K. R., M. EI-Adawy, and S. M. M. Ibrahem, "A comparison between circular and hexagonal array geometries for smart antenna systems using particle swarm optimization algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 75-90, 2007.
11. Khdier, M. M. and C. G. Christodoulou, "Linear array geometry synthesis with minimum sidelobe level and null control using particle swarm optimization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas andPr opagation, Vol. 53, No. 8, 674-679, March 2005.
12. Lim, T. S., V. C. Koo, H. T. Ewe, and H. T. Chuah, "A SAR autofocus algorithm based on particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Reseach B, Vol. 2, 27-60, 2008.
13. Lilley, D. G., Numerical Methods, Stillwater, OK, 2002.
14. Li, J. F., B. H. Sun, H. J. Zhou, and Q. Z. Liu, "Novel center-fed cage antenna using the composite structure," Journal of Xidian University, Vol. 35, No. 5, 889-893, 2008.
15. William, H. P., A. T. Saul, T. V. William, and P. F. Brian, Numerical Recipes 3rd Edition: The Art of Scientific Computing, Cambridge University Press, 2007.