Frequency selective surfaces (FSSs) with fractal four legged aperture elements are studied. Three different order fractal elements are discussed for comparison. The results show that by using this novel kind of elements, multiband FSSs with miniaturized elements can be achieved. The ratio of the first resonant wavelength to the periodicity can be up to 10.36. Four passbands for normal incidence or two stable passbands for different incident angle and polarizations can be obtained. The FSS is analyzed by the spectral domain approach.
2. Wu, T. K. (ed.), Frequency Selective Surface and Grid Array, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1995.
3. Wu, T. K., "Four-band frequency selective surface with double-square-loop patch elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 12, 1659-1663, 1994.
4. Guo, C., H. Sun, and X. Lu, "A novel dualband frequency selective surface with periodic cell perturbation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 137-149, 2008.
5. Romeu, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Fractal FSS: A novel dual-band frequency selective surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 7, 1097-1105, 2000.
6. Qing, A. and C. K. Lee, "An improved model for full wave analysis of multilayered frequency selective surface with gridded square element," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 30, 285-303, 2001.
7. Barlevy, A. S. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "On the electrical and numerical properties of high Q resonances in frequency selective surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 22, 1-27, 1999.
8. Li, L., D. H.Werner, J. A. Bossard, and T. S. Mayer, "A modelbased parameter estimation technique for wide-band interpolation of periodic moment method impedance matrices with application to genetic algorithm optimization of frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 3, 908-924, 2006.
9. Parker, E. A. and A. N. A. El Sheikh, Convoluted array elements and reduced size unit cells for frequency-selective surfaces, IEE Proceedings---H, Vol. 138, No. 1, 19-22, 1991.
10. Barbagallo, S., A. Monorchio, and G. Manara, "Small periodicity FSS screens with enhanced bandwidth performance," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 7, 382-384, 2006.
11. Azaro, R., G. Boato, M. Donelli, A. Massa, and E. Zeni, "Design of a prefractal monopolar antenna for 3.4--3.6GHz Wi-Max band portable devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 116-119, 2006.
12. Azari, A., "Ultra wideband fractal microstrip antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 7-12, 2008.
13. Salmasi, M. P., "A novel broadband fractal Sierpinski shaped, microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 4, 179-190, 2008.
14. Werner, D. H. and D. Lee, "A design approach for dual-polarized multiband frequency selective surfaces using fractal elements," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Symposium, Vol. 3, 1692-1695, 2000.