A fabricated multilayer low-temperature co-fired ceramic (LTCC) delay line (approximate 16λg at 9.5 GHz), using 3D meander strip line, is proposed in this paper for the first time. The advanced quasi coaxial ground vias (QCOX-GND vias) are proposed for signal vertical interconnections in this multilayer structure. These technologies obtain good performances in the whole band (9~10 GHz). Measurement results show that, besides low insertion loss and low VSWRs, low time dispersion can be achieved as ≤±0.002 ns, which is very important to a delay line. The more compact size, as 8 mm × 10 mm × 2.37 mm, can also be obtained than other delay line structures.
2. Ortege, B. and J. L. Cruz, "Variable delay line for phased-array antenna based on a chirped fiber grating," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 8, 1352-1352, Aug. 2000.
3. Okubo, K. and V. Priye, "A new magnetostatic wave delay line using yig film," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 33, No. 3, 2338-2341, May 1997.
4. Reindl, L., C. C. W. Ruppel, S. Berek, U. Knauer, M. Vossiek, P. Hiede, and L. Oreans, "Design, fabrication, and application of precisesaw delay lines used in an fmcw radar system," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 4, 787-794, Apr. 2001.
5. Wang, Y. and H. T. Su, "Wide-band superconducting coplanar delay lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 7, 2348-2354, Jul. 2005.
6. Kim, C.-Y., J. Yang, D.-W. Kim, and S. Hong, "A K-band CMOS voltage controlled delay line based on an artificial left-handed transmission line," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 11, 731-733, Nov. 2008.
7. Kim, G., C. W. Lu Albert, W. Fan, L. L. Wai, and J. Kim, "3D strip meander delay line structure for multilayer LTCC-based SiP applications," Proceedings of 2008 Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 2081-2085, May 27-30, 2008.