A direct 61 GHz demodulator, based on a rectangular waveguide (WR-12) six-port, is presented in this letter. The six-port device, composed of four 90° hybrid couplers fabricated in a metal block of brass, is implemented in ADS software. Good agreement between QPSK demodulation results using an ideal six-port model and a second one, based on the S-parameter measurements of a 61 GHz hybrid coupler, is achieved.
2. Fisher, R., "60 GHz WPAN standardization within IEEE 802.15.3c," 2007 International Symposium on Signals, Systems, and Electronics, 103-105, IEEE catalog Number 07EX1869C, 2007.
3. Smulders, P., "Exploiting the 60 GHz band for local wireless multimedia access: Prospects and future directions," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 1, 140-147, 2002.
4. Engen, G. F., "The six-port reflectometer: An alternative network analyzer," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 25, 1077-1079, Dec. 1977S.
5. Tatu, S. O. and E. Moldovan, "V-band multiport heterodyne receiver for high-speed communication systems," EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Vol. 2007, 7, Article ID 34358, 2007.
6. Shen, G.-F., X.-M. Zhang, H. Chi, and X.-F. Jin, "Microwave/millimeter-wave generation using multi-wavelength photonic crystal fiber brillouin laser," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 307-320, 2008.
7. Costanzo, S., I. Venneri, G. Di Massa, and G. Amendola, "Hybrid array antenna for broadband millimeter-wave applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 173-183, 2008.
8. Mead, J. B. and R. E. McIntosh, "Millimeter-wave polarimetric radars," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 03, 391-150, 1990.
9. Mizuno, M., C. Otani, K. Kawase, Y. Kurihara, K. Shindo, Y. Ogawa, and H. Matsuki, "Monitoring the frozen state of freezing media by using millimeter waves," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 341-349, 2006.
10. Oka, S., H. Togo, N. Kukutsu, and T. Nagatsuma, "Latest trends in millimeter-wave imaging technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 197-204, 2008.
11. Park, J. Y., S. S. Jeon, Y.Wang, and T. Itoh, "Integrated antenna with direct conversion circuitry for broad-band millimeter-wave communications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, 1482-1488, 2003.
12. Shamsinejad, S., M. Soleimani, and N. Komjani, "Novel enhanced and miniaturized 90°coupler for 3g Eh mixers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 43-50, 2008.
13. Mohra, A., A. F. Sheta, and S. F. Mahmoud, "A small size 3 dB 0°/180°microstrip ring couplers," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 5, 707-718, 2003.
14. Sharma, R., T. Chakravarty, S. Bhooshan, and A. B. Bhattacharyya, "Design of a novel 3 dB microstrip backward wave coupler using defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 261-273, 2006.