The complex permittivity and permeability of barium hexaferrite in the 8-12 GHz range was determined by using perturbation of electromagnetically coupled Ag thick film patch antenna due to overlay. In this technique even minor change in the overlay material properties changes the antenna response. The power gain of the EMC patch antenna was enhanced by 50% due to barium hexaferrite overlay. Barium hexaferrite was synthesized by co precipitation method and their fritless thick films were fabricated by screen printing technique. The properties were found to depend on the synthesis conditions such as Fe/Ba molar ratio, pH of the solution.
2. Kulkarni, D. C., U. B. Lonkar, and V. Puri, "High frequency permeability and permittivity of NixZn(1−x)Fe2O4 thick film," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 320, 1844-1848, 2008.
3. Kulkarni, D. C., S. P. Patil, and V. Puri, "Properties of NixZn(1−x)Fe2O4 thick films at microwave frequencies," Microelectronics Journal, Vol. 39, 248-252, 2008.
4. Yousefi, L., H. Attia, and O. M. Ramahi, "Broadband experimental characterization of artificial magnetic materials based on a microstrip line method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 1-13, 2009.
5. Brown, A. D., J. L. Volakis, L. C. Kempel, and Y. Y. Botros, "Patch antennas on ferromagnetic substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 47, 26-30, 1999.
6. Koledintseva, M. Y. and A. A. Kitaitsev, "Analysis of interaction between a crystallographically uniaxial ferrite resonator and a hall-effect transducer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 1-19, 2007.
7. Yang, G. M., X. Xing, A. Daigle, M. Liu, O. Obi, J. W. Wang, K. Naishadham, and N. X. Sun, "Electronically tunable miniaturized antennas on magnetoelectric substrates with enhanced performance," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 44, 3091-3094, 2008.
8. Mossalei, H. and K. Sarabandi, "Magneto-dielectrics in electromagnetic: Concept and applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 52, 1558-1567, 2004.
9. How, H. and C. Vittoria, "Microwave impedance control over a ferrite boundary layer," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 41, 1126-1131, 2005.
10. Harris, V. G., et al., "Bahexaferrite films for next generation microwave devices (invited)," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 99, 08M911-1-08M911-5, 2006.
11. Vasishta, P. and B. R. Vishvakarma, "Some studies on two layer electromagnetically coupled microstrip antenna with dielectric cover," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 86, 991-997, 1999.
12. Wong, K. L., W. S. Chen, and W. L. Huang, "The absorption and coupling of an electromagnetic wave incident on a microstrip circuit with superstrate," IEEE. Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 34, 17-22, 1992.
13. Janasi, S. R., D. Rodrigues, F. J. G. Landgraf, and M. Emura, "Magnetic properties of coprecipitated barium ferrite powders as a function of synthesis conditions," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 36, 3327-3329, 2000.