A repeaterless hybrid CATV/16-quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM) orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM) transport system employing half-split-band and remote light injection techniques is proposed and demonstrated. Over an 80-km SMF transmission without optical amplification, good performances of carrier-to-noise ratio (CNR), composite second order (CSO), and composite triple beat (CTB) were obtained for CATV band; simultaneous high CNR and low bit error rate (BER) values were achieved for 16-QAM OFDM band. This architecture presents a feasible way to transmit both analog and digital video signals.
2. Gebretsadik, H., H. T. Foulk, N. C. Frateschi, W. J. Choi, S. V. Robertson, and A. E. Bond, "Linearised integrated SOAEA modulator for long-haul and FTTH CATV applications at 1.55 μm," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, 1016-1017, 2004.
3. Lu, H. H., W. J. Wang, Y. C. Lai, and N. Y. Lin, "Hybrid AMVSB/256-QAM/Internet transport systems in the campus," IEEE Trans. Broadcast., Vol. 49, 103-106, 2003.
4. Lu, H. H. and W. S. Tasi, "A hybrid CATV/256-QAM/OC-48 DWDM system over an 80-km LEAF transport," IEEE Trans. Broadcast., Vol. 49, 97-102, 2003.
5. Lu, H. H., C. Y. Li, C. H. Lee, Y. C. Hsiao, and H. W. Chen, "Radio-over-fiber transport systems based on DFB LD with main and -1 side modes injection-locked techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 25-33, 2009.
6. Chen, Y. K., Y. L. Liu, and C. C. Lee, "Directly modulated 1.55 μm AM-VSB video EDFA-repeated supertrunking system over 110 km standard singlemode fiber using split-band and wavelength division multiplexing technique ," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, 1400-1401, 1997.
7. Chang, C. H., L. Chrostowski, C. J. C.-Hasnain, and W.W. Chow, "Study of long-wavelength VCSEl-VCSEL injection locking for 2.5-Gb/s transmission," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. , Vol. 14, 1635-1637, 2002.
8. Sung, H. K., E. K. Lau, and M. C. Wu, "Optical single sideband modulation using strong optical injection-locked semiconductor lasers," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 19, 1005-1007, 2007.
9. Ryu, H. S., Y. K. Seo, and W. Y. Choi, "Dispersion-tolerant transmission of 155-Mb/s data at 17 GHz using a 2.5-Gb/s-grade DFB laser with wavelength-selective gain from an FP laser diode," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 16, 1942-1944, 2004.
10. Mogensen, F., H. Olesen, and G. Jacobsen, "Locking conditions and stability properties for a semiconductor laser with external light injection," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 21, 784-793, 1985.
11. Way, W. I., Broadband Hybrid Fiber/Coax Access System Technologies, No. 6, 160-214, Academic Press, San Diego, 1999.
12. Cox, C. H., Analog Optical Links Theory and Practice, Vol. 6, 201-261, Cambridge University Press, 2004.
13. Smith, G. H. and D. Novak, "Broad-band millimeter-wave (38GHz) fiber-wireless transmission system using electrical and optical SSB modulation to overcome dispersion effects," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 10, 141-143, 1998.