While a geostationary weather radar would enable unprecedented monitoring of hurricanes and other severe weather, surface clutter could seriously limit its performance. The large incidence angles necessary for wide-area coverage, combined with the footprint size could cause surface clutter to obscure atmospheric return up to several km above the surface. The authors describe a Doppler filtering approach to clutter suppression and show simulation results. They find that Doppler filtering can significantly reduce the surface return, bringing surface clutter to acceptable levels. The authors then consider this approach when a staggered pulse repetition frequency is used to improve the maximum unambiguous velocity. They find that a method previously developed for ground-based weather radars can be successfully applied.
2. Tanelli, S., S. L. Durden, E. Im, K. Pak, D. Reinke, P. Partain, J. Haynes, and R. Marchand, "CloudSat's Cloud Profiling Radar after two years in orbit: Performance, external calibration, and processing ," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 46, 3560-3573, 2008.
3. Im, E., E. A. Smith, S. L. Durden, S. Tanelli, J. Huang, Y. Rahmat-Samii, and M. Lou, Instrument concept of NEXRAD In Space (NIS) – A geostationary radar for hurricane studies, Proc. Int. Geosci. Remote Sens. Symp, 2003.
4. Bahadori, K. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "An array-compensated spherical reflector antenna for a very large number of scanned beams," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, 3547-3555, 2005.
5. Doviak, R. J. and D. S. Zrnic, Doppler Radar and Weather Observations, 2nd Ed., Academic Press, San Diego, 1993.
6. Wu, Z.-S., J.-P. Zhang, and L.-X. Guo, "An improved two-scale model with volume scattering for the dynamic ocean surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 39-56, 2009.
7. Plant, W. J. and W. C. Keller, "Evidence of Bragg scattering in microwave Doppler spectra of sea return," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 95, 16299-16310, 1990.
8. Meneghini, R. and T. Kozu, Spaceborne Weather Radar, Artech House, Boston, MA, 1990.
9. Amayenc, P., "Proposal for a spaceborne dual-beam rain radar with Doppler capability," J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., Vol. 10, 262-276, 1993.
10. Sachidananda, M. and D. S. Zrnic, "Clutter filtering and spectral moment estimation for Doppler weather radars using staggered pulse repetition time (PRT)," J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., Vol. 17, 323-331, 2000.
11. Sachidananda, M. and D. S. Zrnic, "An improved clutter filtering and spectral moment estimation algorithm for staggered PRT sequences ," J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., Vol. 19, 2009.
12. Zrnic, D. S., "Simulation of weatherlike Doppler spectra and signals," J. App. Meteor., Vol. 14, 619-620, 1975.