A new approach to design digitally tunable optical filter system by using semiconductor optical amplifiers (SOAs) and Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexed (D.W.D.M.) thin film filter based wavelength selection elements is presented. The system designed with this approach is very easy to configure and expand, smaller in size, lesser in weight, cheaper in cost and consuming less power as compared to design suggested by other researchers recently.
2. Wooten, E. L., R. L. Stone, E. W. Miles, and E. M. Bradely, "Rapidly tunable narrowband wavelength filter using LiNbO3 unbalanced Mach-Zehnder interferometers," J. Lightwave Tech., Vol. 14, 2530-2536, 1996.
3. Oda, K., N. Yakato, T. Kominato, and H. Toba, "A 16-channel frequency selection switch for optical FDM distribution systems," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 8, 1132-1140, 1990.
4. Stone, J. and L. W. Stulz, "High-performance fiber Fabry-Perot filters," Electron. Lett., Vol. 27, 2239-2240, 1991.
5. Born, M. and E.Wolf, Principles of Optics, 6 Ed., Pergamon, New York, 1980.
6. Zirngibl, M., C. H. Joyner, and B. Glance, "Digitally tunable channel dropping filter/equalizer based on wave guide grating router and optical amplifier integration," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 6, 513-515, 1994.
7. Ishida, O., H. Takahashi, and Y. Inoue, "Digitally tunable optical filters using arrayed wave guide grating (AWG) multiplexers and optical switches," J. Lightwave Tech., Vol. 15, 321-327, 1997.
8. Sneh, A. and K. M. Johnson, "High-speed tunable liquid crystal filter for WDM networks," J. Lightwave Tech., Vol. 14, 1067-1080, 1996.
9. Chen, P. L., K. C. Lin, W. C. Chuang, Y. C. Tzeng, K. Y. Lee, and W. Y. Lee, "Analysis of a liquid crystal Fabry-Perot etalon filter: A novel model," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 9, 467-469, 1997.
10. Fujii, Y., "High-isolation polarization-independent optical circulator coupled with singlemode fibers," J. Lightwave Tech., Vol. 9, 456-460, 1991.
11. Smith, D. A., J. E. Baran, J. J. Johnson, and K. W. Cheung, "Integrated-optic acoustically tunable filters for WDM networks," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 8, 1151-1159, 1990.
12. Kim, C.-S., F. N. Farokhrooz, and J. U. Kang, "Electro-optic wavelength-tunable fiber ring laser based on cascaded composite Sagnac loop filters," Opt. Lett., Vol. 29, 1677-1679, 2004.
13. Li, X., J. Chen, G. Wu, and A. Ye, "Digitally tunable optical filter based on DWDM thin film filters and semiconductor optical amplifiers," Optics Express, Vol. 13, 1346-1350, 2005.