A small 3-Dimensional (3-D) multi-band antenna of "F" shape is proposed for portable phones' applications. The designed configuration of the proposed antenna is different from traditional Planar Inverted-F Antenna (PIFA) radiators. The proposed antenna has the good characteristics of wide band. The ratio of impedance bandwidth to the central frequencies 2.5 and 5.1 GHz is 28.6 % and 9 %, respectively. It can be applied to Bluetooth (BT) 2.4 GHz and Unlicensed NII - 5 GHz, UNII-1 5.1 ~ 5.25 GHz and UNII-2 5.25 ~ 5.35 GHz. The experimental results have fairly good agreement with the simulation data by High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS).
2. Talbi, L. and G. Delisle, "Experimental characterization of EHF multipath indoor radio channels," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 14, 431-440, 1996.
3. Pozar, D. M., Microstrip Antennas — The Analysis and Design of Microstrip Antennas and Arrays, IEEE Press, New York, 1995.
4. Brian, B. B., K. Wolfgang, O. Teruo, and I. Takahiro, "Comparisons of computed mobile phone induced SAR in the sam phantom to that in anatomically correct models of the human head ," IEEE Trans. on Electrom. Compat., Vol. 48, No. 2, 2006.
5. Kaori, F., W. Soichi, and Y. Yukio, "Dielectric properties of tissue equivalent liquids and their effects on specific absorption rate," IEEE Trans. on Electrom. Compat., Vol. 46, No. 1, 2004.
6. Akimasa, H., F. Osamu, and S. Toshiyuki, "Correlation between peak spatial-average SAR and temperature increase due to antennas attached to human trunk," IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 53, No. 8, 2006.
7. Bernardi, P., M. Cavagnaro, S. Pisa, and E. Piuzzi, "Specific absorption rate and temperature increases in the head of a celluarphone user," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 48, No. 7, 1118-1126, 2000.
8. Cooper, J. and V. Hombach, "The specific absorption rate in spherical head model from a dipole with metallic walls nearby," IEEE Trans. on Electrom. Compat., Vol. 40, No. 4, 377-382, 1998.
9. Kawai, H. and K. Ito, "Simple evaluation method of estimating local average SAR," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 52, No. 8, 2021-2029, 2004.
10. Liu, Z. D., P. S. Hall, and D. Wake, "Dual-frequency planar inverted-F antenna," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Propag., Vol. 45, No. 10, 1451-1458, 1997.
11. Li, Z. and R. S. Yahya, "WHIP-PIFA combination in wireless handset application: A hybrid circuit model and full wave analysis," IEEE Antenna and Propafation Society International Symposium, 2747-2750, 2004.
12. Rowell, C. R. and R. D. Murch, "A compact pifa suitable for dual-frequency 900/1800-MHz operation," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Propag., Vol. 46, No. 4, 596-598, 1998.
13. Hadjem, A., D. Lautru, C. Dale, M. F. Wong, V. F. Hanna, and J. Wiart, "Study of specific absorption rate (SAR) induced in two child head models and in adult heads using mobile phones," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 4-11, 2005.
14. Chan, K. H., K. M. Chow, L. C. Fung, and S. W. Leung, "SAR of internal antenna in mobile-phone applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 45, No. 4, 286-290, 2005.
15. Li, Z. and Y. R. Samii, "Optimization of PIFA-IFA combination in handset antenna designs," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Propag., Vol. 53, No. 5, 1770-1778, 2005.
16. Sanz-Izquierdo, B., J. C. Batchelor, R. J. Langley, and M. I. Sobhy, "Single and double layer planar multiband pifas," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 5, 2006.
17. Wong, K. L., G. Y. Lee, and T. W. Chiou, "A low-profile planar monopole antenna for multiband operation of mobile handsets," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Propag., Vol. 51, No. 1, 2003.
18. Pan, S. G., T. Becks, A. Bahrwas, and I. Wolff, "N antennas and their applications in portable handsets," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Propag., Vol. 45, No. 10, 1475-1483, 1997.
19. Dopod, , www. Dopodasia.
20., , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FR4.
21. Torrumgrueng, D. and S. Lamultree, "Equivalent graphical solutions of terminated conjugately characteristic-impedance transmission lines with non-negative and corresponding negative characteristic resistances," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 137-151, 2009.
22. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering 2/e, John Wiley, 1998.