A novel compact strip-line fed UWB antenna with band-notched characteristic is proposed. By employing a balanced antipodal structure and strip-line feed, the size of this antenna has been reduced to only 23 mm×27.5 mm with the dielectric substrate of relative permittivity 2.65. Meanwhile, a slot is added onto the radiating patch of the mid metalisation layer to realize the band-notched function, by tuning the length of which suitable rejected frequency band can be obtained. According to the measured results, the proposed antenna has a large bandwidth totally satisfying the requirement of UWB applications (3.1~10.6 GHz) with good stable omnidirectional radiation patterns and gains except in the rejected frequency band (4.9~6.2 GHz). Details of this antenna are described, and the experimental results of the constructed prototype are given, too.
2. Zhang, F., F. S. Zhang, G. Zhao, C. Lin, and Y. C. Jiao, "A novel compact band-notched planar monopole antenna from 3 to 40 GHz," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 1401-1403, 2009.
3. Zhang, G.-M., J.-S. Hong, and B.-Z. Wang, "Two novel band-notched UWB slot antennas fed by microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 209-218, 2008.
4. Lin, C.-C. and H.-R. Chuang, "A 3--12 GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008.
5. Gopikrishna, M., D. Das Krishna, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Design of a microstrip fed step slot antenna for UWB communication," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 1126-1129, 2009.
6. Zhou, H.-J., Y.-Z. Yin, J.-Y. Deng, Q.-Z. Liu, and Y.-C. Kan, "CPW-FED ultra-wideband antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 330-332, 2009.
7. Chu, Q.-X. and Y.-Y. Yang, "3.5/5.5 GHz dual band-notch ultra-wideband antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, 172-174, 2008.
8. Lui, W. J., C. H. Cheng, and H. B. Zhu, "Compact balanced antipodal slot antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, 1943-1945, 2006.
9. Ren, W., Z. G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "Novel planar monopole UWB antenna with 5-GHz band notched characteristic," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1645-1652, 2007.
10. Chung, K., J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna having frequency band-notched function," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 11, 766-788, 2005.
11. Chu, Q.-X. and Y.-Y. Yang, "3.5/5.5 GHz dual band-notch ultra-wideband antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, 172-174, 2008.
12. Cho, Y. J., K. H. Kim, D. H. Choi, S. S. Lee, and S.-O. Park, "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5-GHz band-rejection filter and the time-domain characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 5, 1453-1460, 2006.