In this paper, a compact, wide fractional bandwidth bandpass filter using a new open slot split ring resonator (OSSRR) defected ground structure and compact microstrip resonating cell (CMRC) is presented. OSSRR is the modified and dual version of the open split ring resonator (OSRR). The band pass filter (BPF) is constructed by cascading lowpass and highpass sections designed using CMRCs and OSSRR respectively. The designed BPF has wide fractional bandwidth of 74%, sharp passband to stopband transition and low passband insertion loss of less than 1 dB. The simulated results are well validated by the experimental results.
2. Hsu, C.-L., F.-C. Hsu, and J.-T. Kuo, "Microstrip bandpass filters for ultra-wideband (UWB) wireless communications," Proceedings of IEEE MTT-S International Conference, 679-682, 2005.
3. Yang, G. M., R. H. Jin, and J. P. Geng, "Planar microstrip UWB bandpass filter using U-shaped slot coupling structure," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 25, 1461-1463, 2006.
4. Mondal, P., M. K. Mandal, A. Chakrabarty, and S. Sanyal, "Compact bandpass filters with wide controllable fractional bandwidth," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 10, 540-542, 2006.
5. Shobeyri, M. and M. H. Vadjed-Samiei, "Compact ultra-wideband bandpass filter with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 25-31, 2008.
6. An, J., G.-M. Wang, W.-D. Zeng, and L.-X. Ma, "UWB filter using defected ground structure of von Koch fractal shape slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 61-66, 2009.
7. Sun, S., L. Zhu, and H.-H. Tan, "A compact wideband bandpass filter using transversal resonator and asymmetrical interdigital," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 3, 173-175, 2008.
8. Martel, J., R. Marques, F. Falcone, J. D. Baena, F. Medina, F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "A new LC series element for compact bandpass filter design," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 14, 210-212, 2004.