The optical properties of birefringent Bragg fiber with a fiber core of 2-dimension (2D) elliptical-hole photonic crystal structure has been study. Elliptical air holes are introduced into the fiber core to form a normal 2D photonic crystal structure with a hole pitch (center-to-center distance between the air holes) much smaller than the operation wavelength of the Bragg fiber. The elliptical-hole photonic crystal structure acts as an anisotropic medium with different effective indices for transmission light of different polarization, which inevitably results in high birefringence (up to the order of magnitude of 0.01) of the Bragg fiber. The proposed Bragg fiber possesses different band-gaps for differently polarized mode. Besides the periodic alternating layers of high/low refractive indices, the bandwidth of the band-gap is also dependent on the effective index of the fiber core, which can be controlled by the area of the elliptical air holes.
2. Knight, J. C., "Photonic crystal fibres," Nature, Vol. 424, 847-851, 2003.
3. Smith, G. M., N. Venkataraman, M. T. Gallagher, D. Müller, J. A.West, N. F. Borrelli, D. C. Allan, and K. W. Koch, "Low-loss hollow-core silica/air photonic bandgap fibr," Nature, Vol. 424, 657-659, 2003.
4. Russell, P., "Photonic crystal fibers," Science, Vol. 299, 358-362, 2003.
5. Ibanescu, M., Y. Fink, S. Fan, E. L. Thomas, and L. D. Joannopoulos, "An all-dielectric coaxial waveguide," Science, Vol. 289, 415-419, 2000.
6. Ouyang, G., Y. Xu, and A. Yariv, "Theoretical study on dispersion compensation in air-core Bragg fibers," Opt. Express, Vol. 10, 889-908, 2002.
7. Prokopovich, D. V., A. V. Popov, and A. V. Vinogradov, "Analytical and numerical aspects of Bragg fiber design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 6, 361-379, 2008.
8. Wu, C. J. and S. Gwo, "Calculation of optical properties of an annular dielectric mirror," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 6, 821-827, 2007.
9. Frazo, J., M. Baptista, and J. L. Santos, "Temperature-independent strain sensor based on a Hi-Bi photonic crystal fiber Loop Mirror," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 7, 1453-1455, 2007.
10. Xue, M. and C. Lu, "Self-stabilizing effect of four-wave mixing and its applications on multiwavelength erbium-doped fiber lasers," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 17, 2541-2543, 2005.
11. Shen, G. F, X. M. Zhang, H. Chi, and X. F. Jin, "Microwave/millimeter-wave generation using multi-wavelength photonic crystal fiber brillouin laser," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 307-320, 2008.
12. Chen, D., "Stable multi-wavelength erbium-doped fiber laser based on a photonic crystal fiber Sagnac loop filter," Laser Phys. Lett., Vol. 4, 437-439, 2007.
13. Steel, M. J. and R. M. Osgood, "Elliptical-hole photonic crystal fibers," Opt. Lett., Vol. 26, 229-231, 2001.
14. Chaudhuri, P. R., V. Paulose, and L. Chao, "Near-elliptic core polarization-maintaining photonic crystal fiber: Modeling birefringence characteristics and realization," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 16, 1301-1303, 2004.
15. Belardi, W., G. Bouwmans, L. Provino, and M. Douay, "Forminduced birefringence in elliptical hollow photonic crystal fiber with large mode area," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 41, 1558-1564, 2005.
16. Chen, D. and L. Shen, "Ultrahigh birefringent photonic crystal fiber with ultralow confinement loss," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 19, 185-187, 2007.
17. Chen, D. and L. Shen, "Highly birefringent elliptical-hole photonic crystal fibers with double defect," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 25, 2700-2705, 2007.
18. Ouyang, G., Y. Xu, and A. Yariv, "Comparative study of air-core and coaxial Bragg fibers: Single-mode transmission and dispersion characteristics," Opt. Express, Vol. 9, 733-747, 2001.
19. Johnson, S. G., M. Ibanescu, M. Skorobogatiy, O. Weisberg, T. D. Engeness, M. Soljacic, S. A. Jacobs, J. D. Joannopoulos, and Y. Fink, "Low-loss asymptotically single-mode propagation in large-core omniguide fibers," Opt. Express, Vol. 9, 748-779, 2001.
20. Saitoh, K. and M. Koshiba, "Full-vectorial imaginary-distance beam propagation method based on a finite element scheme: application to photonic crystal fibers," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 38, 927-933, 2002.
21. Issa, N. A., M. A. V. Eijkelenborg, and M. Fellew, "Fabrication and study of microstructured optical fibers with elliptical holes," Opt. Lett., Vol. 29, 1336-1338, 2004.
22. Meade, R. D., A. M. Rappe, K. D. Brommer, J. D. Joannopoulos, and O. L. Alerhand, "Accurate theoretical analysis of photonic band-gap materials," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 48, 8434-8437, 1993.
23. Bertoni, H. L., L. S. Cheo, and T. Tamir, "Frequency-selective reflection and transmission by a periodic dielectric layer," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 37, 78-83, 1989.